Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#262282 - 05/08/2005 15:12 Ran down car battery, broke serial port?
giantPez
new poster

I ran my car's battery down while playing music, and I think I ruined my hard disk somehow in the process. The player would complain that no disk was found. Indeed the disk didn't make healthy little disky sounds when I opened the empeg to check it out. So I bought a shiny new drive. Unfortunately, all of my attempts to connect to the serial port to talk to the beast and format the new drive have given me... nothing. I've tried three computers, two cables, and every possible data rate.

I'm assuming I've also destroyed some component of the serial channel on the empeg and that I'll have to send it to Eutronix, but I thought I'd check here first on the off chance.

Thanks for keeping the community alive, everyone!

#262283 - 05/08/2005 15:37 Re: Ran down car battery, broke serial port? [Re: giantPez]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
but I thought I'd check here first on the off chance.

Do you have reason to believe the serial port worked before this? For example, were you ever able to successfully install Hijack using the same computer and cable?

Also, make sure you are plugging directly into the serial port on the player itself using a null modem cable. Not using any kind of a docking sled, and not using a straight through cable.

Have you double checked the instructions here to make sure you're not missing something?

#262284 - 06/09/2005 21:47 Re: Ran down car battery, broke serial port? [Re: tfabris]
giantPez
new poster

Hey Tony,

The last time I connected to the empeg using the serial port (to install Hijack) was a few years ago, using a Linux box and cable that I no longer have.

I am not using a docking sled. How can I tell if the cable I'm using is correct? I think it's just a normal 9-pin serial cable...

I did check the instructions to make sure I was doing the steps correctly.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

#262285 - 06/09/2005 23:12 Re: Ran down car battery, broke serial port? [Re: giantPez]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
How can I tell if the cable I'm using is correct?

With a continuity tester on the proper pins.

You need pins 2, 3, and 5 connected. With 2 and 3 "crossed", and 5 straight through.

Another option, just in case your cable happens to be a straight-through cable instead of a null modem cable, is to deliberately use a docking sled so that the pins are already crossed for you.