Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#262543 - 10/08/2005 14:27 Lost Windows XP installation key
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
My roommate and I were installing a new motherboard, processor, and hard drive in my computer. When trying to reinstall Windows Xp pro on my new hard drive, and found that I can't find the product key for it. I tried to reboot the computer with my old hard drive (that had windows on it) but it said it was a missing a certain file (<windows root> \system32.hall.dll) and couldn't boot up. I do have another product key that I could use, but it is for an unopened OEM disc. Could I use that product key temporarily to boot it up until I find the original?

#262544 - 11/08/2005 04:44 Re: Lost Windows XP installation key [Re: burdell1]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
but it is for an unopened OEM disc. Could I use that product key temporarily to boot it up until I find the original?

Probably not, for two reasons:

1. The OEM keys often don't work with retail Windows XP.
2. You can't use a key 'temporarily'. Once it's installed, that's the key you're gonna use.

#262545 - 11/08/2005 06:49 Re: Lost Windows XP installation key [Re: Roger]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Hmm.... I thought you could change a key in XP quite easily? As long as it isn't activated you could install with one key, find the old one, restore the hardware hash files and then reactivate if necessary?

This page covers backing up the wba.dbl files, there is a tool out there which helps you change the installation key (from which the product key is derived), however I'm not sure how to get a key from a non-active installation, it must be possible though.

edit: Here is one which seems to do everything required, but only on a running system. Is there any way you can get the old installation running again?

Gareth

Edited by g_attrill (11/08/2005 06:55)