Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#262677 - 13/08/2005 18:30 Recommended distribution to develop for empeg
Andre81
new poster

Loc: Germany
Which Linux or Unix distribution is the best one to start with the development for the empeg?

I have SuSE 9.3 here but i would prefer FreeBSD 5.4. Can i use the armlinux toolchain on both systems?

Thanks Andre

#262678 - 14/08/2005 05:31 Re: Recommended distribution to develop for empeg [Re: Andre81]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You can always build your own. It's not terribly difficult; I built one for Sparc Solaris, even.

#262679 - 14/08/2005 09:03 Re: Recommended distribution to develop for empeg [Re: Andre81]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
I have SuSE 9.3 here but i would prefer FreeBSD 5.4. Can i use the armlinux toolchain on both systems?

I've never tried it, but the standard cross-toolchain kit should work out of the box on FreeBSD.

(Unless you have GCC4, that is; GCC4 won't build GCCs as old as the one in the standard car-player toolchain.)

Peter

#262680 - 14/08/2005 17:57 Re: Recommended distribution to develop for empeg [Re: peter]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:
I've never tried it, but the standard cross-toolchain kit should work out of the box on FreeBSD.

Actually, if your feeling really lazy you can run the linux cross compiler straight off Mark Lord's site under FreeBSD's linux emulation. I haven't done this in a couple years, but I don't see why it wouldn't still work.

-Mike

#262681 - 14/08/2005 20:54 Re: Recommended distribution to develop for empeg [Re: mcomb]
Andre81
new poster

I have installed SuSE 9.3 and the toolchain from Mark Lord now but run into some problems.

First there are 2 compilers, one in armtools-empeg/bin/arm-empeg-linux-gcc and one in armtools-empeg/arm-empeg-linux/bin/gcc. Which one do i use?

Second, if i compile a simple C file i get several errors.

armtools-empeg/lib/gcc-lib/arm-empeg-linux/2.95.3/include/stddef.h:1 Invalid token in expression

Same thing for time.h types.h etc.

The C file compiles without any problems with the regular gcc that comes with SuSE. Do i have to set the include path?

I have also a problem with the shared partition between XP and SuSE. I have installed SuSE in VMware on it's own harddisk with a swap, reiser and FAT32 partition. I can access the FAT32 partition from Windows and if i copy files on it and then boot Linux i have access to all files. But the wierd thing is if i now create folders or files i can't see them from Windows. Same thing if i create the folder or file from Windows, i can't see it in the guest OS until i reboot it. umount/mount sometimes work. If i reboot Windows everything i've created within Linux is there. I have successfuly installed the VMware tools and also set up the partition as a shared folder in VMware. Any idea how i can solve this behavior?

#262682 - 14/08/2005 21:42 Re: Recommended distribution to develop for empeg [Re: Andre81]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
First there are 2 compilers, one in armtools-empeg/bin/arm-empeg-linux-gcc and one in armtools-empeg/arm-empeg-linux/bin/gcc. Which one do i use?

Use bin/arm-empeg-linux-gcc

Quote:
I have also a problem with the shared partition between XP and SuSE. I have installed SuSE in VMware on it's own harddisk with a swap, reiser and FAT32 partition. I can access the FAT32 partition from Windows and if i copy files on it and then boot Linux i have access to all files. But the wierd thing is if i now create folders or files i can't see them from Windows. Same thing if i create the folder or file from Windows, i can't see it in the guest OS until i reboot it. umount/mount sometimes work. If i reboot Windows everything i've created within Linux is there. I have successfuly installed the VMware tools and also set up the partition as a shared folder in VMware. Any idea how i can solve this behavior?

? Is this a feature of VMware? If not then you shouldn't do that. The reason why you have to unmount or restart is that the OS is caching the partition and it doesn't know that stuff is changing behind it's back. FAT32 isn't designed to be modified by two different hosts at the same time. You're inviting huge corruption and breakage by sharing it between the copy of Linux inside VMware and the host Windows. If you really want to have a shared drive then export it via Samba from one to the other.

#262683 - 14/08/2005 21:42 Re: Recommended distribution to develop for empeg [Re: Andre81]
Andre81
new poster

I've tried to untar the toolchain under SuSE again but got a few cannot create symlink to ... : operation not permitted errors.

If i now try to compile my C file i get several "no such instruction" errors (mvn, bne, add .. too many memory references).

I'm a little bit lost now

#262684 - 14/08/2005 23:50 Re: Recommended distribution to develop for empeg [Re: Andre81]
Andre81
new poster

Got everything fixed, the problem was the FAT32 partition

I've reformatted it with ReiserFS and now everything works fine.

But i have two other questions now. I have a 7.4 GB and 1 GB partition now, can i remove the 1 GB and expand the 7.4 GB partition?

Also i would like to share my sources between Windows and Linux, how can i do this? The host OS should be Windows. I could use a FAT32 partition again and mount it read only under Linux but i guess there are better ways.

#262685 - 15/08/2005 07:49 Re: Recommended distribution to develop for empeg [Re: Andre81]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Also i would like to share my sources between Windows and Linux, how can i do this? The host OS should be Windows.

Use Samba and mount a drive from one OS to the other. Alternatively, if you don't actually need the working copy shared, use a CVS or Subversion server, hosted on either OS, and check out two working copies.

#262686 - 17/08/2005 21:21 Re: Recommended distribution to develop for empeg [Re: Andre81]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
I recently changed over to CoLinux for empeg development, it's much easier for me because I only have one box and it's Windoze.