Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#264269 - 02/09/2005 11:03 Audi A4 (-05) with bose trouble...
Memil

Loc: Sweden
Hi!

I had my empeg installed in my new car (audi a4 tdi avant -05) equiped with a bose-system. I'm using an adapter from the bose-system to empeg (iso).

I I have lots of static noise, when turning on my empeg. Its ok when pluggning in the audi orginal stereo.
I've tried:
- another ground connect - no differense...
- with loopbacks, its brings down the noise but just at a bearable level.
- another adapter from bose->iso

The noise isnt connected to the volume, is just as much when infinitive as 0.0db.

It works just fine at home (ac) as it did in my previus audi (with an sony amplifier).

Please help! I'm goin nuts here...

/Fredrik

#264270 - 02/09/2005 12:10 Re: Audi A4 (-05) with bose trouble... [Re: Memil]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Static you say - like radio static or whiney? Any difference with engine on / off, varying revs?

What do you mean by loopbacks? Like ground loop isolators?

#264271 - 03/09/2005 11:17 Re: Audi A4 (-05) with bose trouble... [Re: mtempsch]
Memil

More like tones, its not depending on engine or anything like that.
It starts as soon as the line-connectors are connected.

Yes, ground loop isolators, it improved somewhat, but the noise is still there...

I cant hear it if i turn the volume up enough - not a problem when I'm alone, but when I have company the volume makes it hard to talk.

/Fredrik

#264272 - 06/09/2005 03:38 Re: Audi A4 (-05) with bose trouble... [Re: Memil]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I have a problem with mine, but I know what it is. It may help you.

I hadn't seen any wiring harnesses available when I did my install, so I took some RCA cables and spliced them into the factory wiring. Right now I get some alternator whine intermittently, but I know it is from the RCA grounds. On the wiring from the factory harness back to the Bose amp, all 4 channels share a common ground. I only have problems because the job I did sucked (I now have one of those nice harnesses on order from caraudiosecurity.com). Perhaps your problem may be related to the shared ground? Of course this is in a 99 A6, so YMMV.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#264273 - 06/09/2005 09:17 Re: Audi A4 (-05) with bose trouble... [Re: Waterman981]
Memil

Hi!

Yes, it probably is, but I dont get an alternator whine....
We did the exactly the same thing with the wires then bought an adapter simular yours... But the result is just the same.

Maybe I should try my old Sony MD and see if the result is the same....

/Fredrik

#264274 - 06/09/2005 15:16 Re: Audi A4 (-05) with bose trouble... [Re: Memil]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
That is a good idea. Plug anything you can into the RCA's of the harness. I would even try each channel separately. It would then completely rule out the empeg and sled (at least the RCA outputs). If you still get the noise, maybe you could take the signal before it goes to the Bose amp, and try it with an aftermarket amp. That would tell you if it is the wiring, or possibly the Bose system. I haven't ever pulled my Bose amp out, so I don't know how difficult this would be to test. If with your MD you don't get the noise, could it possibly be noise from the power? Maybe try wiring the empeg directly to the battery (be sure to fuse it near the battery) rather than through the cars wiring.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#264275 - 16/09/2005 10:45 Re: Audi A4 (-05) with bose trouble... [Re: mtempsch]
Memil

My fault, with more testing - the noise starts as soon I turn the key - not the engine...

I havent had the time for more testing with my Sony MD...

/Fredrik

#264276 - 17/09/2005 07:18 Re: Audi A4 (-05) with bose trouble... [Re: Memil]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
My fault, with more testing - the noise starts as soon I turn the key - not the engine...

OK, and the noise doesn't change with revs? Sounds like something [in dash?] that powers up with the ignition and either the signal wires are picking it up or some component shares a ground with whatever it is that comes on...
Not knowing the exact layout/routing of your system/wiring, and being unfamiliar wih Bose systems makes it hard to give exact advise.
For a traditional scheme with HU-RCA-amp I would have said try running a temporary set of RCA wires straight through the interior (after loosening the HU from the dash as far as possible) and running a new [relatively beefy] ground wire to the HU from a good ground spot, possibly, but not neccessarily, the same spot as the amp.

#264277 - 19/09/2005 06:29 Re: Audi A4 (-05) with bose trouble... [Re: mtempsch]
Memil

No, the engine/revs does not change the noise at all. BUT, dash-lights does! As soon as the car-electrics turns on - the noise, if not starts -gets very anoing...

Time...I need more time - and a garage to make the tests little more easier... (But there is a solution on the horizon, 1 dec we get our new house - with a garage. ).

/Fredrik

#264278 - 19/09/2005 14:22 Re: Audi A4 (-05) with bose trouble... [Re: Memil]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
BUT, dash-lights does! As soon as the car-electrics turns on - the noise, if not starts -gets very anoing

You've definitely got a ground loop, and I'm betting that the dimmer wire is, strangely, becoming the ground. You didn't accidentally hook up the car's dimmer wire to something it shouldn't be on the empeg?