Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#264329 - 03/09/2005 02:35 Ethernet Connection with Wireless Router
Marthemal
new poster

I was having trouble getting my Dell Audio Receiver to hook up after installing a wireless router, even though I was still using an Ethernet connection on the router.
After searching on this site, I found Roger's solution of plugging in an Ethernet hub between the router and the receiver. It worked instantly. I was then able to remove the hub and reconnect directly between the router and the receiver. My understanding is that this will have to done every time the receiver is unplugged. I don't understand why this works, but it does! Much thanks to Roger

Check "ARM stops working after router install. Help!" posted on 4/7/2004 if you want to see where I found the solution.

#264330 - 03/09/2005 04:38 Re: Ethernet Connection with Wireless Router [Re: Marthemal]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I don't understand why this works, but it does!

Because the ethernet port on both the empeg-car and the Rio Receiver has some issues with certain autosensing 10/100 switches. There is some handshaking that goes on when you plug into a 10/100 switch that autosenses things like Duplex, Speed, and Crossover. Something about the ethernet port on those devices doesn't handle that handshaking well.

And of course the ethernet port on your router is really just a little cheap 10/100 switch.