Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#265943 - 24/09/2005 17:32 TV shows and microphones
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
In particular, do people filming TV shows find the need to use them anymore? It's getting worse and worse, but I don't know if I'm going deaf or if the sound guys making TV shows are really more interested in the sounds of cars driving by, clothes rustling, and all other environmental sounds than they are in the people talking.

It's getting to the point where I'm having to watch TV shows with the closed captioning on just so that I can understand what the fuck people are saying. Add to that the fact that half the time they seem to forget to include the closed captioning halfway through the show and I'm getting more and more frustrated. Anyone else have this problem?

#265944 - 24/09/2005 18:07 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Are you watching on a surround sound system? Try messing around with the pro logic modes, bumping up the volume on the center channel, etc. I do agree that the basic mixing of the average TV show tends to not give enough volume to voices, but I've compensated by bringing down the volume on my left/right channels and bringing up the volume on the center. Obviously won't help for standard stereo recording, but it takes care of most things I watch.

#265945 - 24/09/2005 18:40 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I can try that, but I shouldn't have to. In fact, I specifically got a new stereo system in the hopes that they were just mixing TV shows for surround these days and I was just missing out by having only stereo. Seems I was wrong.

#265946 - 24/09/2005 20:12 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Um, yup, every time I've had that problem (can't hear dialogue but the music and sound effects are loud) it's because the center channel speaker is turned down too low.

Overall, I've found surround systems generally have center channels default far too low. Early on when surround systems were first being manufactured, they'd even put weaker amps on the center channel so that you had to really crank the center channel to hear the dialogue at all.

#265947 - 24/09/2005 21:59 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
On the other hand, I don't think it would hurt too much if the monologue were mixed into the front left/right a little more than it usually is. It obviously depends on the particular movie/show you're watching as to how things are mixed, but in most cases, it seems voices only make a token appearance on the front left/right channels. I know the idea is to have separation from music and effects, but it seems goofy to have the most important part of a show be almost entirely dependent on one out of six speakers.

#265948 - 25/09/2005 00:45 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: wfaulk]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
It's not just an HD home theater issue. I've found my self hitting the instant replay on my Tivo in order to catch some comments that are mumblegarbled. This is on a 10+ year old RCA stereo telly.

#265949 - 25/09/2005 07:12 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: wfaulk]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Have you considered the possibilty that it might, at least in part, be due to simply getting older ?

No doubt hearing gradually deteriates as you get older and most of us here are reaching that age where the first signs of ageing start to appear.

I haven't noticed any change in my hearing, but I have noticed other signs of ageing occuring. I have been short sighted since I was in my late teens, but I have started to notice that I need to take my glasses off to read small print, so bi-focals can't be far away.

The surprising change that I have experienced, that I wasn't expecting, is the change in how quickly my body heals. A few years ago if I banged my shin and picked up a graze/cut it would only take a couple of weeks until there was no sign of the injury at all. Nowadays while the initial wound heals just as quickly, the remains of the scar stay visible for many months afterwards.

On the plus side, I am now the lightest I have been for ten years. Now at 217 lbs, still a way to go to get to my target of 190 lbs though. I finally found a change in diet that had the desired effect (I just don't eat too many carbs after 3pm, simple eh ?).

Hmmm, that got kind of off topic...

#265950 - 25/09/2005 13:41 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: andy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I suppose it's possible, but it's not like turning up the volume helps. It's that the voices are so much quieter than everything else, so if I am going deaf, then it's selective to that range of frequencies, which I suppose is possible.

#265951 - 25/09/2005 13:53 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Oh, and, in particular, I have no trouble whatsoever understanding TV shows that were recorded more than ten or fifteen years ago, and, in fact, often have to turn the TV down when I watch one of them. (Unless it's a British TV show, where you guys always seem to have had a fetish for recording every clothes rustle.) Howto shows also don't seem to have the problem.

#265952 - 25/09/2005 13:57 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: andy]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
Have you considered the possibilty that it might, at least in part, be due to simply getting older ?

I think that both sides are right here, I notice myself, and many people have commented to me, how hard it is to hear speech on a lot of programmes.
But also, yes, like all things, your hearing gets worse as the years pass, your eyesight does and, in my case my pancreas, hence the late onset diabetes.
So some time back, I turned up at the hearing aid clinic and got myself kitted out with the latest digital gadgets: Terrible - even though they're finely tuned to your particular situation, background noise in pubs, like listening to TV, meant that I was worse off hearing speech, traffic noise acquired a sort of nightmare droning quality and music, my chief enjoyment, was thin, reedy and unlistenable. I went back a couple of times, went through all the tests again, but gave up.
Sometime later, we were having the sitting room re-decorated and the centre speaker was on a chair a couple of feet out, suddenly, speech was much, much clearer again - so I resited the centre speaker at ear level and spent more time adjusting, rather than accepting the manufacturers setting and it's a really great improvement.
I've also found that my new Yamaha is much better than my old Kenwood, which was one of the first mass commercial surround sound amps. But I do think the programme mixing has a lot to answer for.

#265953 - 26/09/2005 05:11 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Oh, and, in particular, I have no trouble whatsoever understanding TV shows that were recorded more than ten or fifteen years ago

Because those aren't mixed in surround sound and thus don't have a center channel.

Another possibility is a phase problem between the left and right speakers in a regular stereo mix. Like if the wires for the left speaker were reversed, you'd have the left speaker out of phase with the right and anything that's equal between the two channels (like center dialogue) would get phase-cancelled, while stereo-panned sound effects would be rather loud.

#265954 - 26/09/2005 12:13 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Okay, first, my complaint that the environmental sounds are louder than the voices has absolutely nothing to do with how many audio channels were recorded. It has to do with the fact that the voices are mixed too low. Period. Second, the fact that I can fix this by turning up the center channel is just a fortunate artifact of how audio is mixed these days. My point is that it should be mixed properly to begin with and those people that like to struggle to make out what's being said should be the ones forced to turn down their center speakers.

And there's not a phase problem. Oddly enough, my reciever takes those old mono programs and pushes them through more than one speaker, and since I can understand them fine, that's not the issue. Also, I have the same problem with the new stereo that I had with the old one with different speakers and different speaker cabling. And I just hooked the new one up and took care to make sure I didn't swap phases.

#265955 - 26/09/2005 12:16 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: wfaulk]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
My point is that it should be mixed properly to begin with and those people that like to struggle to make out what's being said should be the ones forced to turn down their center speakers.

The problem with that is that we don't all struggle to make out what is being said with the current mixes...

#265956 - 26/09/2005 12:20 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: andy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, apparently the problem is living in Raleigh, as basically everyone I know IRL has the same problem.

#265957 - 26/09/2005 12:37 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Maybe it's your cable provider or something. Doesn't seem to be a problem here.

#265958 - 26/09/2005 13:11 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: JBjorgen]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

DirecTV.

#265959 - 26/09/2005 13:28 Re: TV shows and microphones [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Just to chime in, I've got my center channel set 2 or 3dB higher than the rest of the speakers, and that seems to moderately help the situation. Of course, with the sad state of modern TV writing, it's unclear that you're missing much.