Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#266605 - 02/10/2005 15:39 WiFi troubleshooting
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I can't seem to find any online references that'll help me, so let's try you guys.

I have an 802.11g network. It consists of a NetGear WPN802 AP, a Sony Vaio laptop with builtin 802.11g (Centrino-based, or Intel 2200BG at any rate), and a Mac Mini with its builtin 802.11g (although it was installed after the fact). The AP is connected to my wired network via an older NetGear dual-speed hub, which is the only ethernet infrastructure at all.

The problem is that it's very, very, slow. There's no problem authenticating or getting an IP address or passing data. It never seems to actually cause an error of any sort. It's just very, very, excruciatingly slow. Okay, it's still faster than my internet connection, but trying to pass any sort of LAN data is an exercise in tedium. I can't stream any video, for example.

In tests, I've found that the best throughput I can get is about 3.5Mbps. I know I can't really expect 54Mbps, but that's nowhere close. The "Wireless Network Connection Status" window on the Vaio shows that it's connected to the AP at usually somewhere around 36Mbps, but even if I get it directly adjacent to the AP and get a connection reported at 54Mbps I still get less than 4Mbps throughput. Getting it closer does seem to increase the throughput slightly, though, from about 3Mbps to about 3.5. And I've tested with the same computer on the wired network and get a reasonable throughput.

Things I've considered include a bad connection between the AP and the hub, which is not something I've completely discounted. (It would be nice if there was more information available about that on the AP, and it's not a managed hub.) I've also considered interference from other sources, but nothing I do (like peg to 802.11g instead of auto-sensing, changing channels, disabling SSID broadcasts) seems to have any positive effect. (Occasionally I shoot myself in the foot.)

I had what now seems to have been the same problem with a different AP, too, although also NetGear. I was thinking at the time that it was a range problem, so I got the extended range AP, only to find the problem was the same. So it's not just a broken AP, unless both of them are broken.

(Just now I noticed that Windows claimed that the speed dropped to 1Mbps for a significant time while I was typing this up, but then went back when I reloaded a random web page. I assume it was just saving power as I'm on the laptop right now, and it's not plugged in. Also, I've watched it during a data transfer test and not seen that problem, only slow packet counts.)

What else can I try?

#266606 - 02/10/2005 15:41 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

Change the channel?

#266607 - 02/10/2005 15:43 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: tman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
nothing I do (like ... changing channels ...) seems to have any positive effect.

And anyway, I'd think that if it was a channel problem I wouldn't be seeing good connection speeds reported from the Windows status tool.

#266608 - 02/10/2005 15:56 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I just now remembered to test speeds between the Vaio and the Mini directly. That is, entirely on the wireless net without going over the wired net. (Not that I know how that works in an AP environment: I suppose it's possible that the data's still going through the AP and a wired network problem is still causing problems.) Anyway, I just tested that throughput and it's better: about 7.4Mbps. Still not what I would expect it ought to be, but better.

#266609 - 02/10/2005 16:04 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Just now I noticed that Windows claimed that the speed dropped to 1Mbps for a significant time while I was typing this up, but then went back when I reloaded a random web page. I assume it was just saving power as I'm on the laptop right now

I doubt that was a power saving situation. Odds are, your having a problem similar to my friend, and unfortunately it is one we haven't solved yet. He has gone through 3 base stations now, and just last wednesday experienced his network dropping back to crap again. Symptoms are the Windows tool reporting a speed from from 54mbts slowly down to 1.0. When this occurs, barley anything can be transmitted. Opening the Dell wireless utility reveals the problem, but we can't find the source. Generally the noise picked up skyrockets, thus making for a bad signal to noise ratio. Thus far, we can't find anything in his house causing it (no wireless phones, microwave was off), but we even saw it happen when testing with an ad-hoc network.

At this point we have run out of serious reasons of what might be wrong. He is now running a Linksys WRT54G, but I can't seem to talk him into the 3rd party firmware that allows boosting the power, to at least see if we could keep the power high enough to deal with the noise.

#266610 - 02/10/2005 16:10 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I was just thinking that I should throw the two computers into an adhoc network and test again.

#266611 - 02/10/2005 16:25 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

Oops. Thats what I get for not reading it properly. It could just be that you've got lots of APs nearby and no channel is good?

Thinking about it, somebody I know had similar problems where it would show a good connection but the speed was crap. He tried everything and in the end he tried swapping the Netgear AP with his old Belkin and the speed went back to what it should have been. The reason why he got the Netgear in the first place was because the Belkin kept overheating and crashing. I think he replaced them both with a WRT54GS in the end.

Edited by tman (02/10/2005 16:31)

#266612 - 02/10/2005 16:47 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Okay, I just tested the mini to vaio throughput via adhoc network. Regardless of the range, it transmits at approximately 17Mbps. A lot faster than the 7Mbps I'm seeing otherwise. It still doesn't seem all that fast, though. Can one of you comment on the speeds you're seeing on your 802.11g network? I'm using "nc -vv -l -p 25001 > NUL" on the Windows side and "time nc -vv -w 1 vaio 25001 < /path/to/bigfile" on the Mac end. (You have to subtract one from the resultant time because nc's waiting one second for a response.)

There's a Windows timing utility in the free Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools, which also work on XP. And here's a Windows version of nc.

#266613 - 02/10/2005 17:18 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Although it's not terribly scientific a measurement, I'm presently copying DVDs from my wife's laptop (*) to my file server. It's taking about 30 minutes to move 5GB, which is about 22 Mbits/sec. I suspect that the bottleneck is actually the DVD drive overheating. Anyway, my Linksys WRT54GS seems to go quite fast. There's about fifteen feet, one wall, and one full bookcase between the computer and the base station.

I've experienced some slowness in the past, and I was always able to solve it by changing channels. I know you've tried that, but you might sequentially try each different channel and see if you observe any difference.

(*) This was the result of paying a commercial ripping service to chug through my CDs and rip to Apple Lossless format. I got 45 DVD+R's back. My Mac's "SuperDrive" is DVD-R, and has weird errors on some DVDs, so I'm using the laptop instead.

#266614 - 02/10/2005 17:20 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: DWallach]
tman
carpal tunnel

22mbps is actually fairly fast for 802.11g. 54mbps is the signalling rate and the maximum throughput is half that. Add on overhead and you get about 22-25mbps.

#266615 - 02/10/2005 19:46 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: tman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

So 17Mbps is a reasonable one-way throughput to expect, then? Can at least one more person with a wireless network they think is working well do some testing, please? If it comes in around the 20Mbps range, then I think that leaves my AP as the culprit somehow.

#266616 - 02/10/2005 20:03 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: tman]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
At the moment a widget I have running is reporting 1.5-2.0MB/s (so thats 12-16Mb/s) as I copy some junk over my WRT54G network with WPA from my fileserver to my Powerbook. Half a room, a radiator and a brick wall directly between me and the AP - its basically on the edge of range.

I find it quite reliable, running OpenWRT.

Edited by sein (02/10/2005 20:09)

#266617 - 02/10/2005 20:06 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

And, for the record, I temporarily completely disabled all encryption to test when connected through the AP again, since the adhoc network also had no encryption, and got no throughput improvement than when I had the WPA-PSK enabled.

#266618 - 02/10/2005 20:18 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
And, for the record, I temporarily completely disabled all encryption to test when connected through the AP again, since the adhoc network also had no encryption, and got no throughput improvement than when I had the WPA-PSK enabled.

Newer APs and cards have hardware acceleration for AES and WEP.

#266619 - 02/10/2005 20:19 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
So 17Mbps is a reasonable one-way throughput to expect, then? Can at least one more person with a wireless network they think is working well do some testing, please? If it comes in around the 20Mbps range, then I think that leaves my AP as the culprit somehow.

I get just over 20Mbps when using one hop to an AP. It gets halved for each WDS link you're going via as well.

#266620 - 02/10/2005 22:01 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, shit.

I tried upgrading my AP's firmware. Seems that it just came out. Then the Vaio could no longer maintain a connection for more than a second or two. So then I looked to upgrade the driver for the wireless card. Sony still doesn't have an update, but Intel does. So I upgraded to that and now I can connect again, and I get full throughput: about 21Mbps.

So thanks, folks. Now I just have to get past the wife being mad at me because I wasted the whole day dorking on the computer.

#266621 - 02/10/2005 22:06 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Double shit.

I take it back. I'm connecting again, and I'm up to about 5Mbps, but the test before was accidentally done while I was still attached via ethernet.

#266622 - 03/10/2005 02:56 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I had trouble with my wife's Vaio, and the neat little Sony 802.11 card we bought for it. I eventually decided the problem was the card itself sucked.

#266623 - 08/10/2005 20:38 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

FWIW, it was the wired dual-speed hub that was the problem. I swapped it out (with a Cisco 2950G-48 -- nice to have spare $3500 switches lying around the office) and now I'm getting throughput well into the teens. Now I have to buy a new switch; they might notice that one missing.

#266624 - 10/10/2005 02:30 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
I can't seem to find any online references that'll help me, so let's try you guys.

I have an 802.11g network. It consists of a NetGear WPN802 AP, a Sony Vaio laptop with builtin 802.11g (Centrino-based, or Intel 2200BG at any rate), and a Mac Mini with its builtin 802.11g

On the Sony, you want to get the Intel PROSet Wireless drivers. My Viao with the 2200BG had real problems resuming the connection after either standby or hybernate until I loaded that.

I saw mention of a WRT54g later in the thread. Some versions of those are total junk. My Viao works fine with the Dlink DI-524 AP that replaced it. With encription I can pull the full bandwidth of my cable model through the wireless link. No problem.

#266625 - 22/11/2005 20:44 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
I swapped it out (with a Cisco 2950G-48 -- nice to have spare $3500 switches lying around the office)

Amusingly enough, I'm here at the office trying to figure out why the traffic going through our 2900's is so messed up, and I think to myself "Bitt had a good set of commands for testing network throughput". I look up the thread, and find that you solved your problem with a 2900.

Matthew

#266626 - 22/11/2005 20:49 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: matthew_k]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The only common problems I've had with Cisco switches are failing ethernet autonegotiation and duplicate MAC addresses (which is easy to have happen when you have multihomed Sun equipment: "eeprom local-mac-address?=true", if that's the problem).

#266627 - 22/11/2005 22:45 Re: WiFi troubleshooting [Re: wfaulk]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I'm not the one in charge of the switch, so I've just been trying to figure out exactly what the problem is. I first noticed that going from a different subnet to the subnet/switch in question was going at a reasonable rate considering it had to go accross the street on a shared 100mbs link and back. So, I plugged my workstation into the subnet and switch in question, started transfering the file, and got around 10kbs per seccond. Traffic to the outside world continues normally.

So, I fire up netcat to do some experimenting. Transfers to the machine from the local subnet go at 10kilobits/sec at the maximum, but transfers from the machine go at least 1megabytes/sec. Maybe it's just a bad cable, but I don't want to disconnect it as it's the machine hosting the central image I just posted.

So for the moment I'm giving up.

Matthew