Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#266784 - 06/10/2005 17:03 Re: Tivo and Season Passes [Re: Attack]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Nope, that's the SLOW button.

I would think it would be stuck to the SKIP button but that may very well be DVD specific. That's a pretty worthless remote layout, especially for a TiVo. Yuck.

Bruno

#266785 - 06/10/2005 17:42 Re: Tivo and Season Passes [Re: matthew_k]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
The only problem with recording first run shows is when networks are lazy.

Quote:
Yes. I barely use anything else, I get all the programs I want (with a few irritating exceptions)

Quote:
Works every time, especially for popular shows like that.

Most everyone says yes and then goes on to qualify it to a "well, mainly".

Well, yeah! My contention is that Tivo is flawless in its handling of recordings of accurately described shows, but I have to qualify that by saying that this depends on the shows being accurately described.

Quote:
The only problem I have with the TiVo about this is when there's a conflict.

I agree with that. The biggest problem I see is this sort of instance which only occurs on DirecTivos: you're looking through the program guide, and select a show to be recorded. But there are already two shows being recorded at that time. The problem is that it gives you an option that only works on single-tuner Tivos. It shows you one of the two shows that are being recorded at that time, and lets you either skip the new recording, or cancel that one. What I usually end up doing is going into the To Do list and deciding which of the two shows, if any, I'd like to cancel.

Does anyone know anything more about this? For example, how does it pick which show to give you as an option? Is it based on the Season Pass order? That would at least make a little sense. I would bet that it was a programming limitation, as there really aren't any UI differences between a DirecTivo and a standalone.

#266786 - 06/10/2005 17:57 Re: Tivo and Season Passes [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Doesn't it ask you about the second recording if you choose to continue the first? I thought it did this. It's been a while though. At least that's something SageTV got right.

Bruno

#266787 - 06/10/2005 18:28 Re: Tivo and Season Passes [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm pretty sure that it asks you about the lowest-priority show. That is, if you don't want to cancel the lower priority show, then you probably don't want to cancel the higher-priority one, either. But I could be wrong. I've never done any tests.

That all works well on paper, but in reality, no one goes through and prioritizes the entire season pass list, and the priorities of those shows might be backwards since you never had to make a choice before.

I do know that it only asks you about one of the two shows, though. It definitely doesn't ask you which of the shows you'd like to cancel, or even tell you what the other show is. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to find out.

#266788 - 06/10/2005 22:38 Re: Tivo and Season Passes [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
That all works well on paper, but in reality, no one goes through and prioritizes the entire season pass list,

I do.

#266789 - 06/10/2005 23:17 Re: Tivo and Season Passes [Re: tfabris]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
- Go to the Now Playing list.
- Select and play something.
- Press: SELECT, PLAY, SELECT, 3, 0, SELECT.

If you've got sounds turned on, you should hear BONG BONG BONG at that point.

You guys are wonderful. The trick worked, and I now have the 30 sec commercial skip. Yay!

#266790 - 07/10/2005 02:11 Re: Tivo and Season Passes [Re: wfaulk]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Quote:
That all works well on paper, but in reality, no one goes through and prioritizes the entire season pass list.

I sorted the order of my Season Passes on my 1st TiVo (Jan-01') after creating them. Now I update them on all three of my TiVo's.

I'm sure that many people update them since TivoWebPlus has two different Season Pass Managers.

#266791 - 07/10/2005 02:51 Re: Tivo and Season Passes [Re: matthew_k]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
It depends on how the season pass was saved. Some record a specific show on a specific channel. For example the new season of TOH started tonight. My season pass would have missed it. Since corrected.

Beyond that kind of thing, The season passes are only as good as the guide data, which is generated by a third party. Shows that are listed with a generic description, may be treated has being currently or previously recorded, and so be skipped 4 weeks out of 5.

Even recording all episodes can sometimes be dangerous. I have an SG-1 wishlist that catches every episode on every channel. Mondays string of 5 reruns generally will overwrite last Friday's new episode.

The point of this is not to run down tivo but to recognize there are many ways create season passes, and they can be hammers or finely tuned.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2