Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#266980 - 11/10/2005 18:01 IDC Cable to Display
rutherk1
new poster

Greetings. Long time MK2 owner here. Recent lurker.

My Empeg has given me trouble free useage for a LONG time. The display recently quit working. I opened it up and the IDC cable that is connected to the display came apart. These are tricky to crimp back on. I was careful and got it back together with a little super glue. Now when I power it on the screen is garbled as if the display fuse has blown.

Do I get a new display with the cable already on it and solder new surface mount display fuses, or do I just replace the fuses and hope that I put the cable back together correctly?

This has been in a 4x4 since its purchase new, years ago, so its taken some vibration in its life.

Any and ALL advices would be greatly appreciated.

Keith

Edited by rutherk1 (11/10/2005 18:07)

#266981 - 11/10/2005 18:32 Re: IDC Cable to Display [Re: rutherk1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, before going any farther, check to see that one of the fuses is genuinely blown by using a multimeter. If not, then you might simply be experiencing continued problems with the jury-rigged cable.

If you don't currently own a multimeter to test the fuses, then I humbly suggest that's an indicator of the level of hardware hacker you are, and thus might be better served by sending the player to Stu or Rob.

#266982 - 11/10/2005 19:49 Re: IDC Cable to Display [Re: tfabris]
rutherk1
new poster

Quote:
Well, before going any farther, check to see that one of the fuses is genuinely blown by using a multimeter. If not, then you might simply be experiencing continued problems with the jury-rigged cable.

If you don't currently own a multimeter to test the fuses, then I humbly suggest that's an indicator of the level of hardware hacker you are, and thus might be better served by sending the player to Stu or Rob.

Thanks Bro. I do have a Multimeter and I checked one of the fuses since I have been home from work. To my suspect, Its blown. I think I got lucky with the cable and got it back together correctly - I just reconnected it to the board incorrectly as its fairly easy to mess-up. I will replace this fuse and cross my fingers. My brother is an EE and usually fixes my broken stuff. I guess since he has moved, its time for me to get better .

Thanks again!

Looks like I will have to make a trip to the local Whiteheads.

#266983 - 11/10/2005 20:47 Re: IDC Cable to Display [Re: rutherk1]
StigOE
addict

Quote:
... its time for me to get better .

I don't think the Empeg would be the first item I would use to "get better" at... Those fuses are quite small, as you've already seen, and unless you're fairly good at soldering, you definitely should get someone good with the soldering iron to do it for you...

Stig

#266984 - 11/10/2005 20:53 Re: IDC Cable to Display [Re: StigOE]
rutherk1
new poster

Quote:
Quote:
... its time for me to get better .

I don't think the Empeg would be the first item I would use to "get better" at... Those fuses are quite small, as you've already seen, and unless you're fairly good at soldering, you definitely should get someone good with the soldering iron to do it for you...

Stig

Actually, I was just noticing how far apart everything is on the Empeg board. Ill give it a shot. Ive actually soldered quite a bit growing up.

The last thing I TRIED to fix was my Ipaq. Needless to say, its a nightmare in there.

Wish me luck.

#266985 - 12/10/2005 08:25 Re: IDC Cable to Display [Re: rutherk1]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I have fuses and display cables. Be warned: both are fiddly jobs, and you need a fine tip soldering iron with a good wattage rating. You really do need experience soldering SMT components if you are going to try this. I repeatedly put this warning in front of people before they consider this. OYOHBI.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#266986 - 12/10/2005 08:30 Re: IDC Cable to Display [Re: schofiel]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
OYOHBI?

#266987 - 12/10/2005 08:55 Re: IDC Cable to Display [Re: pgrzelak]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
On Your Own Head Be It

#266988 - 12/10/2005 09:21 Re: IDC Cable to Display [Re: andy]