Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#269629 - 21/11/2005 16:28 Re: Sony DRM woes get worse [Re: g_attrill]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA

#269630 - 21/11/2005 16:48 Re: Sony DRM woes get worse [Re: pgrzelak]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Texas joins the legal battle...
Are they seeking the death penalty?

#269631 - 21/11/2005 22:37 Re: Sony DRM woes get worse [Re: JeffS]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

With penalities of $100K per incident, multiplied by the number of CDs probably sold in the state, I think they're trying to use this as a mechanism to balance their budget.

#269632 - 22/11/2005 13:06 Re: Sony DRM woes get worse [Re: DWallach]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Tell me something out of all this, I've only got to go in to high street stores to find music centres with 40 gig disk drives, retailing at around £400 - and Bose are advertising one in the national press today(presumably much more expensive). Will these not rip SonyBMG and other CD's with copyright protection on to the disk, or do they have a work around?

#269633 - 22/11/2005 13:31 Re: Sony DRM woes get worse [Re: boxer]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Will these not rip SonyBMG and other CD's with copyright protection on to the disk, or do they have a work around?

It depends how each individual manufacturer has done it. The way these restriction schemes tend to work is by observing that audio CD players don't understand multi-session discs, reading only the first session. PC operating systems, on the other hand, tend to do the "Right Thing" for multi-session discs, which is to read only the last session. So copy-protected discs tend to be two-session, with complete nonsense for the audio offsets in the table-of-contents in the second session. A media centre which uses the standard system calls for reading the audio table-of-contents, whether under Windows MCE or Linux, will be unable to rip those discs. However, the Rio Central -- whose software was written before copy-protected discs were invented -- took care to cope with broken or mismastered home-made CDs by always looking up audio tracks in the first table-of-contents, which has had the unintended side-effect that it can rip most types of copy-protected disc.

Peter

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2