Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#272532 - 18/12/2005 18:13 Help required setting up DVD recorder and TV!
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I got my Dad a standalone DVD-Recorder but I don't really have a clue about where to put my scart leads. Can anyone help? Part of my problem is that his TV is old and has only one scart socket. He also has a digital set top box (STB).

Can this be setup so that he can watch one digital channel while watching another? The DVD-R has no tuner so I'm assuming he could still watch analogue transmission while recording digital or vice versa?

I also have a scart splitter if its required.

Attachments
272556-tvstuff.JPG (42 downloads)

Edited by Phil. (18/12/2005 18:15)

#272533 - 18/12/2005 19:01 Re: Help required setting up DVD recorder and TV! [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Since the DVD-R doesn't have a tuner I think this is what you want.

Get a cable splitter

Cable 1 ->STB RF In
STB TV SCART -> DVR AV2
DVR AV1 -> TV SCART

Cable 2 -> TV RF In

This should let you record anything on Digital and then watch anything analogue while recording by changing the TV Input.

#272534 - 18/12/2005 19:46 Re: Help required setting up DVD recorder and TV! [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tman
carpal tunnel

If the DVD recorder doesn't have a tuner then why does it have a RF input and output? What model is this?

What you need to do is the following:

Connect the aerial to the STB RF in using coax.
Connect the STB RF out to the DVD recorder RF in using coax.
Connect the DVD Recorder RF out to the TV RF in using coax.
Connect the STB VCR SCART to the DVD Recorder EXT SCART (AV2) using a SCART cable.

Here is your choice now. Do you want the STB output to be via SCART or the DVD Recorder output to be via SCART? It'll be a lot better picture quality than RF. If he watches more stuff straight off the STB then use that otherwise plug the DVD Recorder in.

Connect the DVD Recorder TV SCART (AV1) to the TV SCART using a SCART cable.

or

Connect the STB TV SCART to the TV SCART using a SCART cable.

To set it all up, just set the DVD recorder to accept input by the SCART if you want whatever is off the STB and via the RF input if you want whatever is off the normal terrestrial analogue broadcasts. Depending on your choice above, set the TV to tune to a RF channel for one device and the SCART input for the other. You can always set it to tune to both RF channels anyway so it's easier to swap the cables over sometime later.

You don't need the SCART splitter you've got as that is for what you have one output device and multiple input devices.

#272535 - 18/12/2005 20:18 Re: Help required setting up DVD recorder and TV! [Re: tman]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Uh, perhaps it *does* have a tuner. I was assuming it didn't as theres no reference to it in the manual. Its a Toshiba D-R250.

Thanks guys for the help. I'll try it out when I get home tomorrow from work.

Thanks!

#272536 - 19/12/2005 01:20 Re: Help required setting up DVD recorder and TV! [Re: tman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
If the DVD recorder doesn't have a tuner then why does it have a RF input and output?

It's possible the output's so that it can show it's output on an RF channel (not that anyone would want to do that). The input might just be for passthrough to help with that situation, though.