Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#273498 - 05/01/2006 08:58 HD replacement question - which kind will work?
RCCola
new poster

I've got a Mark1 #43 that after 6 years of faithful service has a slowly dying hd. I'm shopping for a replacement and after reading the FAQ it seems that it must be no thicker than 19mm. Is there a brand/model(s) that meets that requirement or must one investigate each possibility?

Also, will any modern drive fit the Mark1 cable?

Running Hijack v2.

PS. It's been dying for a year now and a couple months back it stopped saving the current playlist through a power cycle. I read that info is stored in a special partition. Related to the hd failure ya think?

PPS. The nature of the failure is pretty classic. Longer access/read times, occasional hang accessing drive, etc.

#273499 - 05/01/2006 09:27 Re: HD replacement question - which kind will work? [Re: RCCola]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

The cables are standard laptop hard drive cables. One warning, though. If you are running a MarkI, you will have trouble building really large disks from the disk builder image software. This is a known issue where the amount of memory in a MarkI is not enough to create the music filesystem. If you go for a large drive for a MarkI, you might want to add it as a second drive and build it manually, or build it in a Mark2 first. See The Drive Upgrade FAQ for full details on the procedure.