Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#315450 - 22/10/2008 20:34 Re: New Toy: USB-based Logic Analyser [Re: andym]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Cool. Good for the stuff they advertise it for: slow speed serial links and the like. Anything over 12Mhz or so will need a faster analyser.

Cheers

#316182 - 09/11/2008 23:22 Re: New Toy: USB-based Logic Analyser [Re: mlord]
raven
new poster

Loc: Sweden
andym, it's very nice. The software is extremely intuitive! Analyzers and other features are being introduced on a regular basis. I recommend you download the software and try it out. It's got a simulation mode when no hardware is connected so you can try the analyzers on faked data.

I went with it mainly because of the price, the software and the large buffer (which is actually limitless as long as the USB connection can move the data fast enough). I work with 8-bit MCU:s and it's a perfect tool for that.

#354962 - 17/09/2012 13:58 Re: New Toy: USB-based Logic Analyser [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
There's now another highly-rated USB logic analyzer on the market: http://www.saleae.com/logic

They sell an 8-bit model for $150 (EZ-Hook clips included), and a 16-bit model for double that. The support software appears to be all open source and has GUIs for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Extensible, too.

I already have the LogicPort, but if I didn't have it, I'd be very tempted by this product. Speaking of the LogicPort -- there have been some nice software updates of late for it too.

Cheers

#354983 - 18/09/2012 06:00 Re: New Toy: USB-based Logic Analyser [Re: mlord]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Originally Posted By: mlord
There's now another highly-rated USB logic analyzer on the market: http://www.saleae.com/logic

They sell an 8-bit model for $150 (EZ-Hook clips included), and a 16-bit model for double that. The support software appears to be all open source and has GUIs for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Extensible, too.

I already have the LogicPort, but if I didn't have it, I'd be very tempted by this product. Speaking of the LogicPort -- there have been some nice software updates of late for it too.

Cheers

Will have to have a look at the newer logic port software when I'm in the office, it's about time there were some decent updates for it! (protocol analysers).

I only tend to break the logicport out when I'm really stumped with something.

What I actually want now is for the openviszla team (kickstarter) to actually deliver something and make the project available to the masses. I'm still tempted to do it myself with off the shelf boards.

USB PHY BOARD (available on eBay) + FPGA BOARD WITH SDRAM (available anywhere) + CYPRESS FX2 BOARD (available anywhere).

Dump the ULPI data to the fpga and then to the FX2 and into the pc.

Adrian

#355044 - 21/09/2012 04:06 Re: New Toy: USB-based Logic Analyser [Re: mlord]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Originally Posted By: mlord

The 8 bit one has been out for almost a couple of years now; the developer hangs around the hacker dojo occasionally. It's pretty slick, but is one of those things where if you can't sustain the data rate to the PC, it stops. There's zero buffering or triggering in the device itself, the PC is the one looking for the trigger event.

OTOH, you can save the data out as CSV and post-process it with some python, which is what I did to add some new protocol decodes. Very useful!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3