Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#276719 - 07/03/2006 02:14 Re: Business question: fair deal? Slightly On topic. [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
It is after all the "Off Topic Forum"

#276720 - 07/03/2006 07:06 Re: Business question: fair deal? Slightly On topic. [Re: gbeer]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

I still remember the process of acquiring the taste for coffee. On those occasions, it was a matter of either drink the coffee or drink the horrible water that was available.

My introduction to coffee was a similar one. When I was in my late teens, I decided that as all adult social events appeared to consist of standing around drinking tea or coffee, that I had better learn to like one of them.

I disliked the taste of coffee a little less than tea (still can't stand tea). So I started drinking milky coffee, with a couple of tea spoons of sugar. Over a couple of weeks I slowly reduced the amount of sugar down to zero. At that point milky coffee tasted fine to me. You really can train yourself to like tastes that you intially dislike.

When I was a student I trained myself to like black coffee, as I didn't often have drinkable milk available. Once I had finished that I strongly disliked the taste of coffee with milk in it (though I do now drink very strong cappuccino).

Given that this was in the eighties in the UK, this was all instant coffee. I have now of course trained myself to drink fresh coffee, and I find instant coffee unpleastant. Give me a white sugared instant coffee now and I couldn't drink it...

The human brain is a very strange but flexible tool.

#276721 - 07/03/2006 14:34 Re: Business question: fair deal? Slightly On topic. [Re: gbeer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
When coffee is roasted, it undergoes a process called the Maillard reaction, which uses heat as a catalyst in a chemical reaction between sugars and amino acids. It also creates a brown color along the way. It has nothing to do with carbonization. However, if you heat it too much (or too long), carbonization does occur, which, one would assume, is the complaint coffee afficionados have about Starbucks.

#276722 - 15/03/2006 17:25 Re: Business question: fair deal? Slightly On topic. [Re: gbeer]
music
addict

I don't normally drink coffee.
But today it was free (at Starbucks).

So I did.

It was OK.

#276723 - 15/03/2006 18:38 Re: Business question: fair deal? Slightly On topic. [Re: music]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I don't drink coffee, but so many of my friends drink coffee (and band members, especially after playing shows) that I started drinking frappacinos. Guess the sugar made it tolerable. Now I am hooked and drink them all the time. But I still can't stand real coffee.

I just figured the reason people drank coffee was for the smell

#276724 - 15/03/2006 19:15 Re: Business question: fair deal? Slightly On topic. [Re: JeffS]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I don't drink coffee

I used to drink coffee fairly regularly -- all kinds -- but I've seriously cut down on my caffiene intake. To the point that more than three cups of tea a week is a big caffeine week for me. I can't say I'm feeling better (or worse) for it, I just got out of the habit.

#276725 - 15/03/2006 19:48 Re: Business question: fair deal? Slightly On topic. [Re: RobotCaleb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't 'get' coffee. I tried it once and it was one of the most foul things I've ever put in my mouth.

Ummmm... yeah. What he said.

tanstaafl.

Well, it is an acquired taste, I will grant you that. But so is beer

Except for the trying it bit, my above post applies to beer as well.

I'm the same way. I've tried coffee and I've tried various types of alchohol. It simply never appealed to me. I dodn't avoid drinking on any philosophical grounds, I just hate the taste. Although in this country I tend to dislike what it does to people who can't control it. Redskins games have gotten progressively worse over the past several years.

Anyway, I like those fruit smoothie things they sell at Starbucks now. That's all I have when my girlfriend wants to go there to meet people. I really dislike their teas and hot chocolate, so I was happy they added a single product I could enjoy

Oh, and Rob, have you tried buying grounds from Dunkin' Donuts? I bought some for my girlfriend when I gave her that coffee maker that people on the board suggested. She loves it.

#276726 - 15/03/2006 20:33 Re: Business question: fair deal? Slightly On topic. [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Oh, and Rob, have you tried buying grounds from Dunkin' Donuts? I bought some for my girlfriend when I gave her that coffee maker that people on the board suggested. She loves it.p

I am in charge of purchasing for the factory and office. This puts me in charge of coffee supply.

After trying numerous pre-ground coffee and evaluating for taste, price, and availability, I have chosen this non-descript product. It's cheap, and since it's from Staples, it's easy to get. The taste is pretty good. On side-by-side taste tests, it beats Folgers & Maxwell House. I know we've had Dunkin Donuts here before, but I can't remember it standing-out. Plus, you need someone to go there and buy it.

#276727 - 15/03/2006 20:49 Re: Business question: fair deal? Slightly On topic. [Re: robricc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Apparently their slogan should be: "Staples.comŽ (didn't show me a damned thing). thatwas easyŽ."

#276728 - 16/03/2006 13:49 Re: Business question: fair deal? Slightly On topic. [Re: Roger]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
I pretty much gave up on coffee after leaving Siemens in Munich (where I had a coffee grinder on my desk!) and went cold turkey for a while.

Then living in Scotland I got back into Irn-Bru in a big way, so I get some caffeine from that!

Now, I have discovered 'Relentless' - a 500ml can of caffeine delight. 135 mg of caffeine per can! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (tastes a wee bit better than red bull, and really goes well with vodka)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2