Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#28468 - 22/03/2001 11:47 Video Out & volume
douglas
new poster

My Empeg is connected to an audio/video head unit as an aux input. I would like to output the track info to the video input on my head unit. Has anyone tried to get the track info from the serial port and convert it to ntsc/rgb for this use?

Also, has anyone hacked the volume to fix it @ a certain level (ie 0db gain) and not make the volume control available on the Empeg unit? I like to control all the volume from my head unit.

Thx,
DS

#28469 - 22/03/2001 12:19 Re: Video Out & volume [Re: douglas]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Has anyone tried to get the track info from the serial port and convert it to ntsc/rgb for this use?

Yes, right here.

Also, has anyone hacked the volume to fix it @ a certain level (ie 0db gain) and not make the volume control available on the Empeg unit?

Yes, that is a kernel hack. I'm sure I read somebody doing it once, but I have been unable to locate that thread in a search.

However, you might not need it. The Empeg remembers its volume setting for the car separately from the volume setting for the house. So if you just set it at 0db and leave it, it will stay there.

If you're complaining that the empeg is responding to commands from an IR remote for your head unit, there are also kernel hacks available that will make it ignore certain IR inputs. Again, I don't have the link to that but I'm pretty sure it exists.

#28470 - 22/03/2001 14:06 Re: Video Out & volume [Re: tfabris]
douglas
new poster

Thanks Tony. I'll have to get ahold of Alex to see how he did it. As far as the volume control goes, it is just a thing of convenience by removing the ability to mess w/ the volume on the Empeg and fix the output. I have no IR problems, just want all the conrol from my head unit.
Adios,
DS

#28471 - 22/03/2001 14:22 Re: Video Out & volume [Re: douglas]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Here's the thread. It's got a discussion of a way to turn off volume changes completely, as well as the beginnings of fvgestel's IR hack discussion, which left for its own (recent) thread in the General forum.

-Tony
MkII #554