Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#285368 - 14/08/2006 10:17 Relaxed from Critical to Severe [Re: g_attrill]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
From the DFT:

Each passenger is permitted to carry ONE item of cabin baggage through the airport security search point. The dimensions of this item must not exceed: a maximum length of 45 cm, width of 35 cm and depth of 16 cm (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.).
Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. All items carried by passengers will be x-ray screened.

well - it's an improvement...we have 'lost' a number of laptops in the last 3 days from checked luggage. Thank goodness for encrypted filesystems!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#285369 - 14/08/2006 11:22 Re: Relaxed from Critical to Severe [Re: frog51]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
The dimensions of this item must not exceed: a maximum length of 45 cm, width of 35 cm and depth of 16 cm (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.).

Considering the gigantic "carry-ons" that I see some people with (and that take up all space in the overhead bins), this might be an improvement.

#285370 - 14/08/2006 12:27 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
So in a few years when these ethanol fuel cells are common place in our laptops.... are we going to be allowed to use them on an aircraft? The first reports (months back) said "yes" but now I'm not so sure!

There has been talk about 'restricting' (whatever they mean by that) laptops on flights for some time. There is an article in the Wall Street Journal about that today. It starts by describing the incident prior to Lufthansa 435 when a laptop caught fire before it started taxiing.

Apparently there has been 'documented 339 cases of lithium and lithium-ion batteries for portable electronics overheating, emitting smoke and fumes or exploding since 2003'. On top of that, the FAA has documented 60 incidents since 1991.

We might not have to wait for the ethanol fuel cells to have our laptops banned

#285371 - 14/08/2006 13:18 Re: Relaxed from Critical to Severe [Re: frog51]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Each passenger is permitted to carry ONE item of cabin baggage

That seems like a good solution. A terrorist couldn't possibly put a bomb in that one bag; if they did, where would they put their clean underwear?

#285372 - 14/08/2006 13:31 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tahir]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
there isn't a real theocratic structure in Islam the way there is in Christianity/Judaism

There is a theocratic structure in only a few denominations of Christianity: Catholicism (which is quite large, obviously) and a good number of other orthodox churches, Anglicanism/Episcopalianism, and Lutheranism -- maybe Methodism. I don't believe that Judaism has a hierarchical structure at all.

It may seem that there is are a few "universal" spokespeople in England, where I imagine that the vast majority of Christians are Anglican or Catholic, but go up to Scotland and ask the Presbyterians about it, and I bet you'll get the same feeling about religious spokespeople from them as from the Muslims where you are. A good portion of common American Christian denominations are the same way, notably baptists, which is the largest denomination in the US (although that's really being changed by the Southern Baptist Convention). And now I'm waaay off topic.

#285373 - 14/08/2006 13:32 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: Tim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Apparently there has been 'documented 339 cases of lithium and lithium-ion batteries for portable electronics overheating, emitting smoke and fumes or exploding since 2003'. On top of that, the FAA has documented 60 incidents since 1991.

If you ask me, I'd rather have that happen in the cabin where a fire extinguisher could quickly be brought to bear upon the problem, instead of in the hold where it could burn out of control.

#285374 - 14/08/2006 13:48 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
It's pretty obvious where this is leading to -- notebook batteries will be banned from carry-on, but not the computer itself. One can decide to trust the in-flight power (or not) if use of the machine is desired.

The batteries are very hard to distinguish from other forms of explosive materials, and even a stock battery could be utilized in a dangerous way.

Cheers

#285375 - 14/08/2006 13:52 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: tfabris]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Quote:

If you ask me, I'd rather have that happen in the cabin where a fire extinguisher could quickly be brought to bear upon the problem, instead of in the hold where it could burn out of control.

In the confines of an aircraft, neither are a good situation. The upholstery of an aircraft is still ridiculously flammable, even though it is supposedly 'fire retardant'. I'd have to check, but I believe most holds have an automatic fire suppression system. On top of that, the entire hold is not pressurized, only certain areas are. There is a lot less oxygen in the non-pressurized parts for a fire to catch/spread.

On top of the technical reasons, there are also the 'personal' types of reasons. The panic a fire causes on an aircraft is amazing. You have a closed area, with no way out, generally with a lot of people, and fill that cabin with smoke, possibly flames, and mayhem wouldn't begin to describe the scene.

#285376 - 14/08/2006 15:13 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: mlord]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Quote:
It's pretty obvious where this is leading to -- notebook batteries will be banned from carry-on, but not the computer itself.

The company I am working for recently asked us to ship laptops with the battery removed due to one of our laptops catching fire during shipment by air. The shipping company wasn't too happy about that.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#285377 - 17/08/2006 08:25 Re: Hand baggage currently banned at UK airports [Re: mlord]
MarkH

And The Register brings a bit of rational analysis of just how realistic is the use of binary liquid explosives to destroy aircraft (summary: not at all).

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3