Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#285545 - 16/08/2006 01:48 Dreamhost - can't recommend it
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I have to take back any recommendation I've ever made for Dreamhost. Sorry.

I've been battling with email outages for the past two months and when you think everything is fine, there goes another 10-48 hours or intermittent access or complete inability to either check POP3 mail or use SMTP servers (sometimes just one and not the other).

Dreamhosts's prices are unfortunately too good to be true. If you don't mind outages like this, then they probably can't be beat. But I think I may just have to bite the bullet and look elsewhere soon.

#285546 - 16/08/2006 06:25 Re: Dreamhost - can't recommend it [Re: hybrid8]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I don't know, any company that explains their outages in such form as this blog post: http://blog.dreamhost.com/2006/08/01/anatomy-of-an-ongoing-disaster
gets some sort of pass from me. I'm not using them for any sort of mission critical hosting at the moment, but their candor is certainly disarming.

Matthew

#285547 - 16/08/2006 12:14 Re: Dreamhost - can't recommend it [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Personally, I really like the hosting I'm getting with them. Granted, my company doesn't have a website with them like yours does (is that where yours is?), but even for my needs I've had a good experience with them so far. I have about 7 domains hosted with them.

I have a feeling you'd have to jump to a far higher price level to get 99.9999% uptime. Frankly, I'll never have that need. 95% is good enough for me

Quote:
I'm not using them for any sort of mission critical hosting at the moment, but their candor is certainly disarming.

Wow! That certainly is something... and how about those newsletters? The people who run that company must be some interesting personalities.

#285548 - 16/08/2006 12:30 Re: Dreamhost - can't recommend it [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

I have a feeling you'd have to jump to a far higher price level to get 99.9999% uptime. Frankly, I'll never have that need. 95% is good enough for me

You realise that 95% would mean more than 18 days down-time a year ?

#285549 - 16/08/2006 13:09 Re: Dreamhost - can't recommend it [Re: andy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Sorry, my brain is not worring about math this morning (bad day at the office already).

Basic message: I like Dreamhost.

#285550 - 17/08/2006 12:35 Re: Dreamhost - can't recommend it [Re: hybrid8]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
for hosting, I'm once again putting in my endorsement for www.1and1.com

I love them.

#285551 - 17/08/2006 12:40 Re: Dreamhost - can't recommend it [Re: ithoughti]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
for hosting, I'm once again putting in my endorsement for www.1and1.com

I'm currently trying out site5.com, based on a recommendation in the drupal forums. It's my first hosting company, so I've got nothing to compare it with, but I've got no complaints so far (it's early days).

#285552 - 20/08/2006 10:42 Re: Dreamhost - can't recommend it [Re: Roger]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm currently trying out site5.com, based on a recommendation in the drupal forums.

OK. I do have some complaints. Nothing spectacular, but it's just not a good fit for what I want to do with it.

Basically, my website's currently hosted on my box at home and, in order to move it somewhere else, I'm looking for the following features:

• qmail-based hosting (because the wife and I have been using hyphenated extension addresses for quite a while now).
  • IMAP. Definitely with SSL.
  • Proper SMTP AUTH, for relaying. Preferably with TLS support.
  • ezmlm-based mailing lists, although this isn't so important. Mailman would probably be fine.
  • Support for drupal (which basically implies mod_php)
  • I'm not fussed about an unlimited count of MySQL databases. I want the ones I am using to be larger than 100Mb.
  • More disk space than most hosts give you (I want to use Gallery2, and I'll need at least 10Gb for photo space).
  • ssh access, so I can use rsync or rdiff-backup.
  • Subversion over WebDAV would be nice, but I can live with svn+ssh.

Every host I've looked at falls down on at least one of these requirements.

So, any suggestions, or am I going to have to spring for full-on colo?

#285553 - 21/08/2006 21:00 Re: Dreamhost - can't recommend it [Re: Roger]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
You might want to look into a VPS. It costs more money than a standard hosting account, but you do have root access to do whatever you want with it.

I've been using these guys for a couple of years now, and am pretty happy with them.

http://www.servint.com

Edit: deleted a massive amount of useless, Microsoftian bottom-quoting -wfaulk

Edited by wfaulk (22/08/2006 13:48)

#285554 - 21/08/2006 23:52 Re: Dreamhost - can't recommend it [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I somehow still get their horrible newsletters... know what I'm talking about? Like some kid just rambling on and on..

#285555 - 24/09/2006 13:57 Re: Dreamhost - can't recommend it [Re: Terminator]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You might want to look into a VPS. It costs more money than a standard hosting account, but you do have root access to do whatever you want with it.

I've been looking into this as time permits for a short while now, and I found these guys: http://www.spry.com/webmin-vps/

Their Webmin VPS 200 or 300 package looks like being exactly what I want. It's got the right amount of disk space, and they support Debian (I prefer APT to RPM). And they've got reverse DNS, which some of the other VPS hosts don't do.

They do a cheaper version of that at http://www.vpslink.com/vps-hosting/, which is lacking some of the bells and whistles, but looks like it might do as well.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these packages/providers?