Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#285907 - 24/08/2006 00:21 Avoiding manually rebuilding the database?
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
After about 8 months I'm now catching up on uploading music to my empeg and I have something in the region of 50 albums still to upload, mostly due to buying remastered copies or simply re-ripping and compressing with Lame's APX option.

I was already aware of the bug where emplode appears to crash and the player reports Sigkill through Hijack at the rebuilding database stage and leaving me to do a manual rebuild, but it's getting tedious now. I started with 12 albums and that caused a crash, then 8 albums and eventually 5. 5 albums appeared to work ok for a while but I've just had 2 crashes/rebuilds with that number.

Strictly speaking I know this can't be fixed but I'm interested in any workarounds that I've probably missed here. I tried skipping the manual rebuild but emplode then gets stuck in that Rebuilding Database procedure - I quitted out because it looked like I could rebuild manually quicker. I was hoping to skip the rebuilding database stage until I have my new music uploaded where I could start creating playlists etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make this procedure a bit less interactive?

Should I just queue up the 50 odd albums in emplode safe in the knowledge that the database rebuild will fail? That just occurred to me and it seems too easy; I'm sure that I remember folks on here advising against hefty uploads?

Mk2 30+40GB, V3.0 A11, Hijack 438 and my preferred OS is WinXP.

#285908 - 24/08/2006 00:30 Re: Avoiding manually rebuilding the database? [Re: AndrewT]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make this procedure a bit less interactive?

I may be way off base here... but I think that if you installed the v2.0 final software in place of the v3.0A11 shown in your sig, that your problems would go away.

I have synched over 60 GB at a time with 2.0 and had no problems...

tanstaafl.

#285909 - 24/08/2006 00:53 Re: Avoiding manually rebuilding the database? [Re: AndrewT]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Go for the hefty upload, and get things over with with less hassle.

You likely will also have better luck with v2.0 / v2.01 software installed for the upload phase, but I don't have any direct evidence one way or the other.

Cheers

#285910 - 24/08/2006 08:04 Re: Avoiding manually rebuilding the database? [Re: mlord]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Note: If you still have this problem even under the 2.0/2.01 versions of the player software, there is another known problem with very large capacity players. If you see emplode crashing even with 2.0/2.01, apply Mark's maxfid FID patch. This fixed it for me...

#285911 - 24/08/2006 14:24 Re: Avoiding manually rebuilding the database? [Re: AndrewT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I started with 12 albums and that caused a crash,

You should be able to upload many more albums than that. It should be rock-stable. There's something wrong there.

Now, if you're running alpha software, then yeah, I understand why you're getting crashes. I got tons of upload crashes when I used the alpha software. In fact, I've had the alpha software completely corrupt my playlist tree during uploads. Just say no.

Definitely switch to 2.0 final (both emplode and the player firmware) as others have already suggested, do an FSCK and a manual database rebuild at the start of the process before you start uploading, and then after that you should have no problems.

#285912 - 30/08/2006 09:43 Re: Avoiding manually rebuilding the database? [Re: AndrewT]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Thanks for the replies everyone.

In the end I bit the bullet and did a bulk upload with the v3a11 installed. The actual uploading worked fine but it crashed afterwards and likewise on almost every subsequent synch while I was adding playlists.

Even though I have disabled the filesystem check on synch in Hijack, there were a few occasions where it ran fsck. With hindsight I now realise that something on the disk may be corrupt as a result.

I still don't know why it crashed so regularly while doing even the most basic synch and unless I can figure that out I'll be reverting back to 2.0 for any future uploads or playlist changes.

Edit:It appears I was using Emplode 2.0b-13 rather than version 2.10, d'oh.

#285913 - 30/08/2006 15:52 Re: Avoiding manually rebuilding the database? [Re: AndrewT]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Even though I have disabled the filesystem check on synch in Hijack, there were a few occasions where it ran fsck.

That only disables the periodic fsck-for-no-reason. If the filesystem is unmounted uncleanly, it's still going to run fsck. If it continues to do so, that means that you should really run it by hand.

#285914 - 30/08/2006 17:23 Re: Avoiding manually rebuilding the database? [Re: AndrewT]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Edit:It appears I was using Emplode 2.0b-13 rather than version 2.10, d'oh.

Don't use emplode 2.10, unless you really, really need to load FLAC or Ogg Vorbis tracks. Somehow (and I don't know how) it got broken, and it's significantly less stable than 2.0b13, which is almost exactly the same as 2.0-final.

In fact, if you do need to load non-MP3 tracks, then consider using JEmplode.