Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#288740 - 25/10/2006 21:13 Re: Airport Wireless Connections, a fun hack. [Re: frog51]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
And let us not forget that there has been at least one conviction in the UK for theft of WiFi bandwidth (though the guy in question did repeatedly sit outside someone house using their connection).

#288741 - 25/10/2006 21:47 Re: Airport Wireless Connections, a fun hack. [Re: andy]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:
And let us not forget that there has been at least one conviction in the UK for theft of WiFi bandwidth (though the guy in question did repeatedly sit outside someone house using their connection).

It's only illegal if you get caught

#288742 - 26/10/2006 02:41 Re: Airport Wireless Connections, a fun hack. [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
This would seem to be akin to eating somebody else's leftovers at the restaurant.

#288743 - 26/10/2006 13:58 Re: Airport Wireless Connections, a fun hack. [Re: canuckInOR]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Quote:
How is what Tony did any different than driving around the block, waiting 'til someone leaves, and taking the spot to see if there's any time left on the meter?

The difference is you don't have to pretend to be someone else to use up money in a meter, a better example would be one of the UK type parking ticket machines which issues a ticket with part of your number plate on, so you can't give your space away. If this was the right thing to do the WiFi company would leave a connection open for anyone to use until the time is up, but they don't the connection is clearly only for the person who has paid.

Quote:
On a semi-side note, what happens if I were to pay the connection fee, and then use my laptop as a wireless router with NAT and DHCP, giving everyone in the terminal free access?

Then you would probably be in breach of the term and conditions, most SP's don't allow you to share your connection with people you don't know. To read more about this issue look up the Fon service, lots of interesting debate there!

Cheers

Cris.

#288744 - 26/10/2006 14:00 Re: Airport Wireless Connections, a fun hack. [Re: frog51]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Quote:
Technically wrong, but morally right:-)

No just wrong, the tickets are clearly labled as non-transferable.

I bet the people who do this are also the same ones who complain about high ticket prices and poor service, no wonder with people ticket dodging.

Cheers

Cris.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2