Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#290051 - 15/12/2006 22:34 Re: Wii [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Does Nintendo actually show screen shots of any of their games on their site? I saw about 2+ pages of plain text for a couple of games, but no images of any kind.

#290052 - 15/12/2006 22:49 Re: Wii [Re: hybrid8]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
IGN takes care of that handily.

http://wii.ign.com/

#290053 - 16/12/2006 00:02 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Any sites where it doesn't look like someone threw up from both holes all over the screen? IGN is one of those sites that's like those people that flap their lips but don't say anything.

#290054 - 16/12/2006 00:09 Re: Wii [Re: hybrid8]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Quote:
IGN is one of those sites that's like those people that flap their lips but don't say anything.
Thank you and very nicely summed up! I was beginning to wonder whether it was just me 'not getting it' with IGN's style and layout.

#290055 - 16/12/2006 00:38 Re: Wii [Re: AndrewT]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I did manage to find their Wii intro which covers launch games with a small blurb and suggestion of who will appreciate the game. You can then click a link for some images. They have a similar layout for some 2007 games.

So far this is a list of stuff I want to check out:

Zelda (this will only be the second Zelda I play myself - I've watched my little brother finish most of them, but I've only ever played the Gameboy one myself) - this is a must get if only based on previous versions.

Rayman Raving Rabbids - this just looks really slick. Need to check it out first of course.

Super Monkeyball - looks fun/funny.

Red Steel - have seen bad review, need to check it out in person to make a call. From screen shots and video looks like the most "interesting" FPS. Though I'm not a big FPS person, I like the adventure aspects.

Avatar - need to check this out even though it too didn't get great reviews - if only because I really love the cartoon.

Those are the top picks for the launch titles. I suppose I will also check out whatever I can find for rent as well. Probably the list of games based on this year's cartoon cinematic releases (Cars, Barnyard, Open Season) as well as a couple of driving games.

I'm looking forward to the mario soccer game next year and will need to chedck out the GameCube version ahead of time. Then I'm most interested in adventure games, so I hope some of those will be coming down the pipe. I'm super open to the laid-back style of classic Lucas adventures and similar fare as well.

and I'll keep my fingers crossed Pirates! makes it to the Wii as I think it could benefit from the new controllers. I'm holding a warm place in my heart for an Xbox 360 as well, and this is my #1 title pick (even though it'd be an emulated original Xbox game)

#290056 - 16/12/2006 05:02 Re: Wii [Re: hybrid8]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Quote:

Rayman Raving Rabbids - this just looks really slick. Need to check it out first of course.

I'll be getting this next week... everyone raves about it (nyuck nycuk nycuk)

Quote:

Loved the first two, can't wait to see how it translates to the new control scheme. I'll get this next week as well.

Quote:
Then I'm most interested in adventure games, so I hope some of those will be coming down the pipe. I'm super open to the laid-back style of classic Lucas adventures and similar fare as well.

At the Tell Tale holiday party thing I was talking to people about this. We all agreed... classic adventure games NEED to come to the Wii... Virtual Console style for sure, if not the new Sam and Max series in the near future. No promises. though.

#290057 - 16/12/2006 18:31 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll try my local (far away) Best Buy tomorrow early morning. Loren, you've inspired me and rekindled my impulse buy. Of COURSE I can make time for Zelda! Actually, last Christmas break and early '06, I finally played through the SNES and N64 Zeldas. Still have to finish MM, then try WW and maybe Phantom Hourglass*.

Quote:
would the Wii work with my computer monitor with DSub15 and 5 BNC input?
Quote:
That question might be based on the assumption that the Wii supports HD modes

Sorry to mislead. My monitor is a old, but quality CRT, where the 5 BNC input is the ancient Sun style - R G B HSync VSync. It would be convenient to fina a converter between that and RCA for the Wii.

My list of games to buy includes only the new Zelda. But, hm, can I download and buy DS and Game Cube games with Wii (to get the other Zeldas)? Does it really support every previous Nintendo system?? For me, that makes this the greatest console in history.

Oh, and Mario Kart. We need online Maximum Kartage (instead of Carnage)!!

* From the PH trailer at Zelda.com, it's great to hear a revival of the invigorating score from "Link to the Past". And the use of the DS split screen and touch pad are innovations only Nintendo could do.

#290058 - 16/12/2006 18:57 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
My list of games to buy includes only the new Zelda. But, hm, can I download and buy DS and Game Cube games with Wii (to get the other Zeldas)? Does it really support every previous Nintendo system?? For me, that makes this the greatest console in history.

The Virtual Console on the Wii currently plays NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx-16 games. At this time, no support for other systems, including the GameBoy, DS or GameCube have been announced. The Virtual console is the part of the system that plays downloaded games from the Wii store.

The GameCube compatibility of the Wii requires a physical game disc, Gamecube memory card for saving, and the GameCube controller.

If you do want to play some of the older Zelda games, the GameCube did have a promotional disc that you can still find online in a few places. It has the two NES games, as well as the two N64 games on it. The game I'm hoping will appear soon on the Virtual Console is the SNES Link to the Past. So far, the only rerelease of it was on the Game Boy Advance, and the control scheme had to be changed to work with less buttons.

#290059 - 16/12/2006 18:58 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It is possible that your monitor will support the Wii's 480p resolution: it's probably 640x480@60Hz. However, the signal put out by the Wii is not a signal that your computer monitor will understand. Even the component output is in a different format. It's still putting out YPbPr, whereas your monitor wants RGB.

You can certainly get a converter, but the fact that you've got a 5BNC monitor has no bearing on that. Those 5 BNC cables are expecting the exact same signal that the monitor would receive over a normal HD15 VGA cable.

#290060 - 16/12/2006 19:02 Re: Wii [Re: drakino]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Good, so I can still buy the Wind Walker disc (even though I've heard the game is weird, it's still apparently innovative). Thanks for the tip. Phantom Hourglass, eh, may be not worth it, like Link's Awakening (and the two Oracles?), but looks like an interesting followup, like Majora's Mask.

Last question: My sister, who knows little about video games, heard on the radio, from people who know little about video games, that there were two or three different models of "this season's hot video game system". One model was marginally better than another, but the third was way better. So there's surplus of the low end one, people battle for the high end one, and some places sell you the low end one at a premium claiming it's high end to trick you. Is there more than one Wii or is this just lost in translated translation?

#290061 - 16/12/2006 19:05 Re: Wii [Re: wfaulk]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Quote:
It's still putting out YPbPr

Oh, HAHAH, I thought its output RCA cables were Red for audio and Yellow for video. I guess things have changed since the the last console I bought; 8 bit NES, 20 years ago.

#290062 - 16/12/2006 19:08 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Both the XBox 360 and the PS3 come in two variations: with and without a hard drive for the 360, and smaller and bigger hard drive in the case of the PS3. (There are other differences, too, but that's likely to be the biggest.)

However, I'm pretty sure that a Wii is a Wii. There are accessories, but only one base system to buy.

#290063 - 16/12/2006 19:11 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, that's still the case for the composite cabling (except I'm sure there's both red and white for stereo audio). Point being that none of the video output options are compatible with your monitor, even component with its more appropriate number of cables, unless your monitor is already capable of displaying NTSC, in which case, you wouldn't be asking the question.

#290064 - 16/12/2006 20:19 Re: Wii [Re: wfaulk]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Darn. I'm finding products to convert component/composite/s-video to RGB, but they seem very basic:

DataPro CSV-955B
RamElectronics
Adaptec GameBridge for $15 at Outpost.com

I'll need a box to accept and switch between component/composite/s-video and 15pin VGA (one of my 5 BNC's is broken). But I run 1600x1200 85Hz from my computer and the Wii needs 484x480 60Hz. So, the transcoder box will need to accept and output those. I doubt such a think exists, but I'll keep looking.

May be easier to buy a Dell 24" widescreen with 15pin and component input.

#290065 - 17/12/2006 04:46 Re: Wii [Re: loren]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Loved the first two, can't wait to see how it translates to the new control scheme.

Not too well it seems from the 10 minutes I spent playing my brother's copy. I only did the minigames, but I couldn't for the life of me get things where I wanted them to go. It's possible that I'm just retarded, though, so I'd like to see if your experience is better.

#290066 - 17/12/2006 09:07 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
You can use a cheap tv card and Dscaler, to input the composite in your computer of course.
I don't think those things you found do good deinterlacing, and you'll need that. Or can the wii do progressive too, is that the 480p?
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#290067 - 17/12/2006 12:37 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
There is only one version of the Wii they must be talking about the PS3 or Xbox 360. Wind waker is a great game I really like the graphical style it is kind of easy though.

Matt

#290068 - 17/12/2006 16:06 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Thought I could just waltz into line at Best Buy this morning at 7am before their 8am opening and get a Wii. HA! There were 100 people there, only 24 Wii, and the last person to get one arrived at 1:30am.

I'll stop in as I drive into work every morning, but beyond that, I'll wait until January when I can order one without leaving my chair. Besides, that's two to four weeks more before my life stops for Zelda.

#290069 - 17/12/2006 17:26 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
I know somebody who arrived at a Toys R Us at midnight and was 17th to get one of 35 Wii's. Not sure when the 35th person arrived though.

#290070 - 18/12/2006 04:46 Re: Wii [Re: FireFox31]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

That's my dilema. How to get back into gaming without letting my business or relationship suffer... Hmmm... I think I'll need a life coach to go along with the Wii.

#290071 - 18/12/2006 13:03 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
IMO, every Wii game that I've played on a widescreen TV looks much better than every GC game I played on the same TV. And that's with the composite cables. I have the component cables but haven't tried them out yet...

I've had the component cables for a couple weeks. I really didn't notice that big of a difference between the composite and the component cables. Then again, one of my friends at work was commenting on the 'jaggies' that he thought were painfully visible during bowling and I didn't notice them with the composites and even looking for them with the component cables I can't see them. I may just be oblivious.

The games do look good on the widescreen. Rather than stretched, we use to play the Gamecube games in 4:3, which seemed like a waste of a lot of screen, but still less painful than stretched images. Zelda has a setup screen with a row of boxes (three I think). When those boxes are all square, your screen is set up properly, either in 4:3 or widescreen, depending on your configuration.

#290072 - 18/12/2006 13:12 Re: Wii [Re: Tim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Zelda has a setup screen with a row of boxes (three I think). When those boxes are all square, your screen is set up properly, either in 4:3 or widescreen, depending on your configuration.

You could also just go into the setup screen and make sure you selected 16:9

#290073 - 18/12/2006 14:47 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Just spent a fair bit of time playing Call of Duty 3, tennis and cow racing last night (didn't get around to Zelda - it will take some concentrated effort, I'd imagine) and I am so impressed. It works for adults, and also for our kids. From the four year old up, they found the tennis and cow racing totally intuitive (I know - how can you rate cow racing as intuitive, but you know what I mean...)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#290074 - 18/12/2006 15:56 Re: Wii [Re: drakino]
visuvius
addict

I was sort of disappointed in the number of games available through the Virtual Console. Across all systems, there are what, like 15 games available? That wasn't very impressive. I went into it thinking there were going to be A LOT more games to download than that. The Virtual Console itself is very nice. Everything worked perfectly the first time and it's super slick but the lack of games really killed it for me. And then what's up with the games they did choose?

This list doesn't look very impressive. Come on, Solomon's Key? Urban Champion? I'll definitely be purchasing a handful of those games but I was hoping for a much larger library and MUCH more interesting games, especially at launch. Where is Excite Bike, Punch Out, Contra, Mega Man? I'm sure we'll be seeing some of these but I really don't want to wait 2 years for a freakin game. I'm wondering if its a technical, licensing or marketing issue.

Having said that, Zelda is fun. I'm really looking forward to upcoming Nintendo titles. Mario Kart for the Wii is going to be nuts.

#290075 - 18/12/2006 17:20 Re: Wii [Re: visuvius]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I agree, the VC titles are extremely disappointing, especially when you see what's available in Japan. There are only about 5 "major" titles, and the rest are split between very niche titles, and games that I can't imagine anyone is excited about. Plus, they released Tennis today. I'm sorry, but when it comes between Wii Sports Tennis and Tennis for the NES, even nostalgia can't save the latter.

Quote:
I'm wondering if its a technical, licensing or marketing issue.

I'm guessing the first two. I doubt they're doing any marketing. But the conversion to the Wii is probably not as easy as a lot of people are thinking, and someone always has to get paid for these sorts of things. Figuring that out for games that are so old has to be difficult. That's where your list becomes problematic: "Excite Bike, Punch Out, Contra, Mega Man." The first two are Nintendo, and the second two are third party. I assume it's harder to work out the licensing for those.

#290076 - 18/12/2006 17:37 Re: Wii [Re: visuvius]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Licensing could be a problem for some older games, as I know already Nintendo is trying to deal with Microsoft for rights to the Rare Nintendo 64 games. Beyond having to deal with competitors, the fact that some of the old game companies no longer exist is another issue. Royalties are yet another potential problem depending on the agreements signed in the 80s on many of these games.

The other aspect is that from a sales point of view, releasing a slow trickle is likely to bring in more cash in the long run then releasing everything at once. With the trickle method, more people are aware of all the titles being released, and thus they might pick up one that they forgot the name to, but remember when they see it new. Compared to having people dig through a massive library just to find the games that topped their list back then.

#290077 - 18/12/2006 19:32 Re: Wii [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

You can always run some older games with an emulater on the Wii. Of course you should only do this with games you already own on cartridge.

As soon as you start getting into old games however you will find that a good percentage of the quality comes from the nostalgia factor and is something completely mental. Once you play the game it won't live up to your memories. At least that was the case for me with such classics as River Raid, Pole Position, Conan, Zorro, Spelunker, etc. I used to play on the C64 and early arcade machines. Some games just require the context of the time period they're released/played in. Those memories add as much to the game as its code and graphics.

#290078 - 18/12/2006 19:44 Re: Wii [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
As soon as you start getting into old games however you will find that a good percentage of the quality comes from the nostalgia factor and is something completely mental.

Too true. Although it depends on the game. I can play Link to the Past and Final Fantasy 2/IV an infinite number of times. But I downloaded Bonk, and, well, it's not what I remembered.

#290079 - 18/12/2006 20:18 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Quote:
Zelda has a setup screen with a row of boxes (three I think). When those boxes are all square, your screen is set up properly, either in 4:3 or widescreen, depending on your configuration.

You could also just go into the setup screen and make sure you selected 16:9

True, but the boxes did remind me to hit the widescreen button on the remote - it was on full instead of normal or vice/versa and kept it at 4:3 even though the signal was at 16:9

#290080 - 18/12/2006 22:01 Re: Wii [Re: hybrid8]
visuvius
addict

Quote:
As soon as you start getting into old games however you will find that a good percentage of the quality comes from the nostalgia factor and is something completely mental.

For me, this is true with most of the old school games, but there are definitely a handful of games that I will ALWAYS enjoy. Punch Out, Bubble Bobble, and Battle City are three that come to mind.

Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 16 >