Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#291936 - 24/01/2007 20:12 Re: Shuttle woes [Re: andym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Well I'm going to consider nVidia cards more these days.

Speaking of which, I have a friend who wants me to build him a Shuttle system with the SN27P2, just like this last one I built. He, as opposed to the last person, is a gamer, and has asked me to find out if this monstrosity will fit in the case and be compatible. I have a feeling it might fit, but I'm not sure if the Shuttle's power supply will be sufficient. Anyone know?

#291937 - 24/01/2007 20:21 Re: Shuttle woes [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

The lesson I would take from your last Shuttle experience would be to delegate this task to somebody else, like GamePC.com, who presumably can serve your friend reasonably well and save you from the pain-in-the-ass factor of going through all of this again.

#291938 - 24/01/2007 20:36 Re: Shuttle woes [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
The lesson I would take from your last Shuttle experience would be to delegate this task to somebody else, like GamePC.com, who presumably can serve your friend reasonably well and save you from the pain-in-the-ass factor of going through all of this again.

Great advice, really. The problem is that he's already bought some components, and I've guided him through what else to buy. Not to mention that any other service is going to cost him a lot more money. If I had ordered this same system I just built through Shuttle, I would guess that it would have been about $400 more. At least.

One of the biggest problems is that I'd been out of the system building mode for a while. It had been a couple years since my last build, so I was pretty rusty and the tech had advanced on me. I now remember more of the pitfalls and problems that can come up. I mean, heck, I built my fiancee's computer in about three hours because it was a couple months after I'd built three other systems. That was 3.5 years ago...

So does anyone know if that video card will be okay?

#291939 - 30/01/2007 04:10 Re: Shuttle woes [Re: Dignan]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
FYI, I'm using that exact same card in a mid size tower. It has been an awesome video card. You want to play Prey at 1920 X 1200 with all graphics settings at max? No problem! This thing flys! Now as for size, it IS a monster and runs hot even in this big case. I have just enough room to plug the power connector into it. Fitting that thing into a shuttle might be pretty tricky.

#291940 - 30/01/2007 18:10 Re: Shuttle woes [Re: Neutrino]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
I've got a 7800 in my case and I have so many heat problems that I have to run it with the top of the case off. Just make sure you've got a good cooling solution.
Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2