Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#293230 - 01/02/2007 01:38 Re: Windows Vista [Re: sn00p]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Quote:
What the hell is with the "Power" button on the start menu sending the computer to sleep. I'm sure there's probably an option to make it behave as I expect (i.e *really* turn the computer off), but why it doesn't do that as standard, well I don't know!

Yeah, you can change that in the power options, but it's still stupid. I'd rather save more power by shutting down my system every night than put my computer to sleep.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#293231 - 01/02/2007 01:53 Re: Windows Vista [Re: Waterman981]
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
What do you think of the new Media Center on Vista? It still doesn't have a 'insert' option for songs which is very frustrating.....

#293232 - 01/02/2007 02:39 Re: Windows Vista [Re: sn00p]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
Quote:
What the hell is with the "Power" button on the start menu sending the computer to sleep. I'm sure there's probably an option to make it behave as I expect (i.e *really* turn the computer off), but why it doesn't do that as standard, well I don't know!

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/11/21.html

#293233 - 01/02/2007 04:39 Re: Windows Vista [Re: blitz]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I feel compelled to get Vista and will probably get Ultimate soon. Can anyone verify if you can do a clean install from the upgrade version like you can with XP or 2K I have been reading conflicting reports around the net about this.

Matt

#293234 - 01/02/2007 05:43 Re: Windows Vista [Re: msaeger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Upgrades of Vista must be started from inside an existing install of Windows. The workaround some people found on a new disk is to install Vista once, but don't enter a product key on the installer. That then lets you format the drive, and put down a clean image. Once installed, you start the installer inside Vista, choose custom, and provide it the key.

Quote:
I feel compelled to get Vista and will probably get Ultimate soon.

I do have to ask. Why? Yes, it's new and shiny. But overall when even our resident MS employee isn't going to upgrade to Vista at home, it's a sign it might not be worth it yet.

#293235 - 01/02/2007 11:49 Re: Windows Vista [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Does anyone know if there's a site that will basically give you a demo of the new Office? I've heard nothing but positive things about the change in menu structures.

I still don't know if I like the new menu structure, those 'ribbons' take some getting use to if you know the old menu system. There are some other compelling reasons that I will probably end up using 2007 fulltime on my machines other than a test laptop, but the UI isn't one of those reasons.

#293236 - 01/02/2007 12:23 Re: Windows Vista [Re: mlord]
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
Quote:
Yes, yes, and Yes

Is the plan to have video cards with HDMI input and or most likely output? If so, what good does it do to run it though a PC if the whole idea is to protect the content in such a way as you can't manipulate it? From my experience with MediaCenter (and even Front Row), appliance style interfaces ala Tivo (and now my Direct HR20-700) are much more intuitive. I judge a lot of that based on what my wife can and cannot do.

If it is just content delivery via internet, give me a dedicated box.

What are the implications for MythTV or any Linux PC for HDMI?

Edit: I guess ATI already has HDMI cards. Will Linux (being opensource) be able to support HDMI?

Edited by blitz (01/02/2007 12:26)

#293237 - 01/02/2007 12:26 Re: Windows Vista [Re: drakino]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

One practical reason is I want MCE.

Matt

#293238 - 01/02/2007 15:26 Re: Windows Vista [Re: msaeger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
One practical reason is I want MCE.

You mean WMC. (Everything inside Vista seems to have Windows appended onto it). Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Mail, Windows Media Center. I guess Microsoft figured taking the name of the product off the boot screen would make people forget it's windows, so it's up to the programs now to identify the OS.

Keep in mind to get Media Center, all you need is Home Premium. It does seem to be a decent upgrade over where MCE2005 was, and still works seamlessly with the leaf blower 360. If you are looking for CableCard support, you cannot build your own solution though. CableCard compatible Media Centers will only be sold as a complete package from OEMs. Seems the CableLabs group didn't like the idea of an open platform.

#293239 - 01/02/2007 15:39 Re: Windows Vista [Re: msaeger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Can anyone verify if you can do a clean install from the upgrade version like you can with XP or 2K

Spider posted a link to the exact steps earlier in the thread.

#293240 - 01/02/2007 15:44 Re: Windows Vista [Re: blitz]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Edit: I guess ATI already has HDMI cards. Will Linux (being opensource) be able to support HDMI?

HDMI, yes.
HDCP, very unlikely.

#293241 - 01/02/2007 15:50 Re: Windows Vista [Re: Waterman981]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, you can change that in the power options, but it's still stupid. I'd rather save more power by shutting down my system every night than put my computer to sleep.

More specifically, to change that in the power options, you must go into the advanced power options for your current power profile. It's under control panel, power options, Change Plan Settings, Change Advanced power settings, power options, advanced settings, power button and lid, start menu power button.

What I find most ironic is that if you rightclick on that startmenu powerbutton and select "Properties", it does not give you the option to change its properties (instead it takes you to the startmenu property sheet, which doesn't have behaviors for the startmenu powerbutton). Hmph.

#293242 - 01/02/2007 19:25 Re: Windows Vista [Re: tfabris]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Quote:
It's under control panel, power options, Change Plan Settings, Change Advanced power settings, power options, advanced settings, power button and lid, start menu power button.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! All to get it to do what the menu says it does. What a pile of garbage. That's probably not politically correct, or sensitive to those of you who work for/love Microsoft products, but its the truth.

#293243 - 01/02/2007 21:58 Re: Windows Vista [Re: drakino]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Lack of cable card support doesn't bother me currently I can't see giving up Tivo for my TV recording needs. I just want to stream music and videos to my leaf blower 360 and using it as an extender seems to work better than just using windows media connect.

I saw the hack about doing the double install of vista but I have been confused by some people saying you can do a clean install of some vista versions so I wasn't sure who was right. I think it is really stupid that they decided to do this. I don't resintall very much anymore so it probably wouldn't matter much but it's still very silly.

Matt

#293244 - 02/02/2007 00:42 Re: Windows Vista [Re: TigerJimmy]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Quote:
It's under control panel, power options, Change Plan Settings, Change Advanced power settings, power options, advanced settings, power button and lid, start menu power button.

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! All to get it to do what the menu says it does. What a pile of garbage. That's probably not politically correct, or sensitive to those of you who work for/love Microsoft products, but its the truth.

Yeah, that set of instructions to do something so simple pretty much sums it all up, as far as I'm concerned.

#293245 - 02/02/2007 08:17 Re: Windows Vista [Re: Cris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
I won't be swapping unless I bag a free copy from some where

You can come and play with mine, when the freeby upgrade arrives from Holland, although, this far down this thread I'm in two minds whether I want to install it!
I've just purchased an Acer Aspire Idea 510 and its going back to Acer for the second time in a month: The twin Freeview tuners can't pick up Emley Moor: A thirty quid Goodmans box and my 4 DigiTv's do the job faultlessly. But it's a smart bit of kit: Low profile; Silent and bristling with connectivity.
I gave up on MediaCenter(re), the first week and went back to Winamp.

#293246 - 02/02/2007 12:37 Re: Windows Vista [Re: boxer]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
I gave up on MediaCenter(re), the first week and went back to Winamp.

You know, I've always loved Winamp. There are times I even find myself wishing it was available for OSX, though I suppose I could just use XMMS. The one thing that led me to finally give up on it was the lack of (and, per the Winamp developers, the promise of no future plans to add) Unicode support.

Now they've finally added it, but I no longer use Windows on a regular basis.

#293247 - 02/02/2007 16:07 Re: Windows Vista [Re: Dignan]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
I've been running the Office 2007 beta for about 6 months now. Normally I'm not rushing out to upgrade to the newest version of Office, as the enhancements aren't that necessary. This release, however, is definitely worth the upgrade. The new menu structure alone is worth it.

#293248 - 02/02/2007 16:20 Re: Windows Vista [Re: Cybjorg]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
I still use Winamp as my media player of choice

#293249 - 03/02/2007 20:35 Re: Windows Vista [Re: blitz]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
At my IT position, I recently announced that I would not be upgrading to Vista or Office 2007, at least not until their first service packs. By then, I hope they've fixed issues discovered by early adopters and allowed users (and MVPS) to post answers to common questions on Usenet. I'm not trusting the throughput of my workplace on such unproven technology.

Office 2007, though, will be worthwhile once the new UI is mastered. Their Groove collaboration software is very good. I've been using it (pre-MS-acquisition) since 2002 and this tight integration with Office could (should) change workflow in every organization.

Quote:
he first new version of the Start menu that I like better than the classic one from Win95

I'll take that as a strong recommendation, Tony. I'm die hard Win95 Start Menu, but it's just not efficient enough for users I support.

Good point on Vista having to compete with XP. It's going to be a hard sell to me.

#293250 - 04/02/2007 03:39 Re: Windows Vista [Re: mlord]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Mark, the article which you linked has been giving me the shivers all night. So a major reason for Vista is to ingrain DRM fundamentally into Windows? Then use that system to restrict access to media? Or, why stop there; why not restrict access to software, web pages, and even your saved files?!

But ingraining DRM seems like a move against home users. How could MS jusfity this "feature" to the business crowd? Or are they snowballing them with others (TCO, ROI, etc etc)?

It's frightening. I once said I'd never use XP because of its crayola interface (which I learned how to disable and avoid). Looks like I've got a lot more reasons to say I'll never use Vista.

#293251 - 05/02/2007 13:50 Re: Windows Vista [Re: tahir]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I still use Winamp as my media player of choice

Personally, I love WMP11 and I'm really annoyed that it doesn't install on W2K3 (which is what I'm using at work). WMC (formerly MCE) is looking quite good these days, too.

#293252 - 06/02/2007 04:36 Re: Windows Vista [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

#293253 - 06/02/2007 06:35 Re: Windows Vista [Re: drakino]
music
addict

Our IT department sent out a mass email:
Every employee is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN from installing Vista, IE7, or Office 2007 on any company computer.

In fact, since they must open the can of worms required to upgrade hardware, etc. company-wide they have announced that they are also evaluating MacOS X and Linux.

We had been mostly Windows, with a little Solaris.
With the IT department mostly unwilling to support Mac or Linux.
I have a feeling that's about to change.

So it looks like Vista may actually decrease our Windows usage company-wide.

Is anyone else seeing this effect at their employers?

#293254 - 06/02/2007 14:40 Re: Windows Vista [Re: music]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Quote:

In fact, since they must open the can of worms required to upgrade hardware, etc. company-wide they have announced that they are also evaluating MacOS X and Linux.

So it looks like Vista may actually decrease our Windows usage company-wide.

Wow, is this is any indication at all (of course a sample size on one...) of what IT depts. are advising, I wonder how this will go down in the history annals of Microsoft. I've got one Windows PC left in my house (just for region free DVD playback) if I can get my PS3 to do region free (install Linux pehaps) it will be down to zero. I've also got one copy on a Macbook for work use only (Real Estate web based applications, yuck!).

#293255 - 06/02/2007 14:48 Re: Windows Vista [Re: petteri]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
If it's any consolation, a number of my larger clients (generally 50,000 employees or more) only just completed their transition from NT to XP at the end of 2006, and one is still doing it, because they do not like to have to change everything. I am unlikely to recommend Vista from a usability perspective in the next 2 years, and unless they sort security, much longer.

Of course this is just my opinion, my employer may or may not have the same one:-)

We are definitely seeing an upturn in offices willing to try open source! Because of the general annoyance value of Microsoft.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#293256 - 06/02/2007 15:10 Re: Windows Vista [Re: music]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Our IT department sent out a mass email:
Every employee is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN from installing Vista, IE7, or Office 2007 on any company computer.

It sounds to me like your company might be a little different from the norm. Where do you work that the IT department would have to keep people from installing entire operating systems? I think that the average worker in most companies wouldn't be able to install much more than IE7, and even then it would probably just be through Windows Update. Our firm has its own update server, so we choose what gets updated, and we advise users against upgrading to IE7, just because it's an unknown quantity at this point.

And so is Vista. I think it's ludicrous to declare Microsoft in trouble because businesses aren't moving to Vista just a couple months after it's been released (to businesses). I've worked at three companies so far, and each one of them seems to upgrade their OS almost one/one-half generation late. I started at this firm last March, and they'd just completed their XP upgrade.

I do think that Microsoft will have a little more competition, but Vista will have the benefit of coming pre-installed on a lot of computers.

#293257 - 06/02/2007 15:44 Re: Windows Vista [Re: Dignan]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Hahahahahaha - just found this one on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p79F-qdCCDU&eurl=

Perfect
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#293258 - 06/02/2007 16:03 Re: Windows Vista [Re: frog51]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Okay, that one was pretty funny.

#293259 - 06/02/2007 17:45 Re: Windows Vista [Re: frog51]
drakino
carpal tunnel

*points 5 messages up in the thread*

But yeah, great ad. I think it's one of the better "Get a Mac" ones.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >