Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#293832 - 15/02/2007 14:34 '04 BMW 330 HELP!!
meast
stranger

I just bought an '04 BMW 330 convertible and I'm afraid I won't be able to get my Empeg installed without incurring huge expense!

Here's what I received when I contacted Bavarian Soundwerks:
-----------------------------

Mark,

I think I've got 3 scenario's I can quote you with.

First, would be if you used your Empeg HU, our Stage 1 speaker upgrade, the ib110 subwoofer system, and a 4 channel amplifier.

Stage 1 - Normally $548, but you will not be able to use the front midrange speakers with an amplifier, so -$70 for not shipping midrange speakers. But, you will need crossovers, which our Stage 1 does not come with (since the factory amplifier has these built in, and we normally do not ship these with our Stage 1's, as they are an additional $79 per set, and you would need to, totaling $158).

ib110 - Normally $689, but I would recommend just using a 4 single 4 channel amplifier for your application, which would bring the loaded ib110 enclosure down to $449.

Our 4 channel A300.4 we have in stock, and is $419

Second scenario (and my personal choice as the what I believe would be best for your application), would be to run only front component speakers, with a 4 channel amplifier to power them and the ib110. Front Rainbow IQ Line component speakers are $319.95.

Third, you could eliminate all of this, and simply go with a DICE iPod system, with our spec.dock docking system. When purchased together, you save $30 on the spec.dock. Depending on options chosen, this can run anywhere from $148 for the basic DICE kit, to $336.90, depending on options chosen.

I hope I'm not scaring you on prices, but these are the basic items that will be necessary for you to complete your stereo, in addition to the dash kit, wire harness adapter, and the PAC module you were interested in.
--------------------------

Is this really what I have to deal with? Is there no easier way to get a preamp-only HU like my Empeg into a 3-series? Somebody please lend me some expertise.

Cheers.
Mark

#293833 - 15/02/2007 15:58 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: meast]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, there's no reason you "need" a subwoofer, and that's been quoted as at least $450 on its own. I seriously doubt you need speaker upgrades at all. (It is vaguely possible, if unlikely, that the speakers run at an odd impedance that a replacement amplifier would not be able to support, but I can't see how even that couldn't be resolved with careful use of the amplifier's gain control.) The only thing that you almost definitely need is an amplifier upgrade, since the built-in amp is expecting different line levels than what the empeg produces. You might be able to get a preamp that "converts" the empeg's output to what the BMW amp expects. In fact, that may be the PAC module he mentions (or not). Certainly the PAC OEM-2 is intended for exactly this purpose.

It sounds to me like he's seriously overselling you. I'm not sure I'd use these people unless he can give you a reason for trying to push a subwoofer and speaker upgrades on you.

He also clearly doesn't understand what the empeg is, as he's suggested their "spec.dock", which is a iPod connector cradle, which won't help with your empeg in any way. (Oh, unless he's suggesting you dump the empeg and get an iPod.)

Edited by wfaulk (15/02/2007 16:08)

#293834 - 15/02/2007 17:23 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Yup. If you are satisfied with the current sound quality, just get an auxiliary input adapter and pipe it into your existing system. Roughly $100 spent.

EDIT: There will be some issues on where to put the empeg though. You can move the climate controls down to where the sunglasses cubby is with factory part No. 51 16 7 001 408

The result would look something like this:

You could then place the Empeg where the climate controls used to be.

#293835 - 15/02/2007 20:21 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: meast]
music
addict

Quote:
I just bought an '04 BMW 330 convertible and I'm afraid I won't be able to get my Empeg installed without incurring huge expense!

Let me know what you find out.

Here's the story as I understand it up to this point.

• Someone posted here a few years ago saying they had mounted an Empeg in an E46 BMW and included a link to the installation picture galleries. When I checked it the link was dead and the poster claimed that the pictures had all been "lost."

• Justin claimed he had done it. I set up an appointment to meet with him to look at his install. When I got there, he claimed he had "pulled it out temporarily" while he was having a custom enclosure built. He later "sold" his empeg by ripping off someone on this board. If I recall correctly, law enforcement had to be called in order to get him to deliver.

• I went to an installer who claimed he had "put lots of these in M3's back in the dot-com years and all we have to do his move this, wire that, blah, blah, blah." When I showed up, the shop manager said that it was impossible and that he never committed to doing it. Another worker said he could do it for me anyway, but he would have to cut the wiring harness (voiding the entire BMW 4-year electrical system warranty) and put in a tacky-looking black plastic surround in the dash.

Incidentally, I had these guy confirm they could do this exact install BEFORE I bought the car. And it was actually one of my criteria for buying the car. This was before I realized that every single car audio installation shop in the entire country is just a bunch of lying, cheating, disreputable bastards. Without exception. Yes, that shop near you as well.

• You could try using the display extender. That's what TigerJimmy and I are going to try to do.

JBJorgen is right, if you decide to do a console install, you will need to get the part from your BMW dealer that lets you reconfigure your console so you can move the climate control down to the cubby and install the Empeg in the center.

There is not much room back there even so. So you might have to cut into the factory harness to install the right adapters. So think about whether you want to sacrifice the last year or two of your factory electrical warranty.

If this information is out-of-date or incomplete, or anyone has examples/pictures of actual successful E46 installs that don't look like a drunken after hours party with duct tape and staple-guns, then please post them here.

To date, I don't believe there are any.

But that should change soon if TigerJimmy or I actually get anything working.

#293836 - 15/02/2007 23:54 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: music]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Don't know if it's helpful or not, but this guy makes adapters for E46 and other bmw's. A bunch of people on the mp3car forums have bought from him with all positive feedback.

I think the single din adapter would have to be trimmed down further for an empeg, but it's a start.

#293837 - 17/02/2007 09:03 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: wfaulk]
meast
stranger

Thanks for your reply, but I originally contacted BSW to purchase the ib110 by itself. I absolutely want a new sub and amp as the factory "Harmann-Kardon Premium" big whoopdy-doo hoo-hah sound system is absolutely pitiful on the low-end.

The PAC module he is referring to is the PAC SWI-X unit (also something I requested) that allows you to retain use of the steering wheel controls over IR.

BSW is quite reputable and they are not trying to push anything on me. Sorry I didn't give a little more background.

#293838 - 17/02/2007 09:07 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: JBjorgen]
meast
stranger

Now that is a GREAT idea! One problem, though. Does anyone make a dual single-DIN bezel for that space? Wouldn't do me any good to free up the space below the factory HU if I had to showhorn the Empeg in with plastic shims and duct tape. If anyone knows of such a bezel, please let me know. If I can get my hands on one, I think JBjorgen may have just solved my problem!

#293839 - 17/02/2007 09:15 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: music]
meast
stranger

Please let me know if you get anything working with the extender. Meanwhile, I have sent another email to BSW asking what type of signal is output by an iPod and what they use in their DICE systems to get that signal from the dash (where the iPod is) back to the trunk (where the CD changer port is). Seems like if there is a conversion at any point in the DICE chain to S/PDIF or I2S, then the digital output card from Eutronix would be able to do the same thing. I'll let you know what he says.

#293840 - 19/02/2007 10:57 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: meast]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Does anyone make a dual single-DIN bezel for that space?

Will this bezel (linked above) not work?

#293841 - 20/06/2007 06:42 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: JBjorgen]
meast
stranger

I'm BaaaAAAAAaaaaack.

Ended up buying a DICE. Biggest hunk of crap I've ever purchased. On my third one now after the first two were shipped defective. This one works at least, but I have a ridiculous alt whine now (only when using the DICE) that they can't seem to remedy.

So, I'm back to square one. I do not want to daisy chain my Empeg to the stock HU. Somebody, please tell me there is a way to replace the HU with the Empeg without spending a gajillion dollars. I am desperate here!

Thanks.

#293842 - 20/06/2007 17:14 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: meast]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
I have a ridiculous alt whine now

BMWs have proven to be notorious for alternator whine.

I'm guessing that more people on this bbs have had alternator whine with BMWs than all other makes combined. The stereo shop that does all my work confirms this opinion.

This will not be an easy fix.

tanstaafl.

#293843 - 03/07/2007 08:46 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: tanstaafl.]
meast
stranger

Thank you for the positivity, sir.

Anyone care to lend me a hand at all? I could use some ideas...

Cheers.

#293844 - 20/07/2007 08:23 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: meast]
meast
stranger

Well, it cost me almost $800, but it's in. A few tweaks left to do, but it sounds great. Soooo nice to have my Empeg back!!!

#293845 - 20/07/2007 13:56 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: meast]
music
addict

I may want to pick your brain for details or exchange notes with you.
My plan is to do a similar install but using the extender.

What region of the country are you in?

I doubt I can get around to it until September but any comments
or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Especially: how did you solve the whine issue? and which bezel did you use?
Any other tricky bits?

#293846 - 20/07/2007 14:11 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: meast]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Well, it cost me almost $800, but it's in. A few tweaks left to do, but it sounds great. Soooo nice to have my Empeg back!!!

We don't believe you (yet)

Need photos.. lots of photos!

#293847 - 20/07/2007 16:44 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: mlord]
music
addict

Quote:
We don't believe you (yet)

Need photos.. lots of photos!

Oh yeah, true. That's a very good point.

Man, how many times am I going to fall for this?
I guess I just Want To Believe.

OK, we'll need to see notarized photos and signed sworn statements from at least 17 witnesses.

At that point we'll all come over to your house with cases of beer (or your beverage of choice).

#293848 - 27/07/2007 09:48 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: music]
rmitz

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Have you gotten the displayextender system working in your BMW yet? I'm thinking that might be the best installation option. My empegs have been out of action for three years since I was overseas and didn't buy a car there, and I'd like to get mine back in play... I haven't investigated running cables or anything like that yet, though.

#293849 - 14/08/2007 03:36 Re: '04 BMW 330 HELP!! [Re: meast]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I'd like to learn the exact details of what you did. Like music said, for my GF's car, I'm planning to use the display extender and the factory cubby hole. Empeg mounted in trunk with input via a CD changer to AUX-in converter with factory head unit. This preserves all the steering wheel controls, also.

What did you come up with? Parts, sources, etc.???

Best,

Jim