Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#294574 - 07/03/2007 06:15 Can someone help me with a bug repro?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Got some extra time on your hands? Want to help me repro a bug?

Background:

I have been using Apple Quicktime Pro to transcode movies from my Panasonic Lumix digital camera into H.264 format. It has the following drawbacks: 1. it is slow. 2. It sometimes crashes very hard in a very bad way (i.e., causing the PC to fully lock or reboot).

Someone on this BBS suggested MPEG Streamclip as an alternative H.264 encoder. So I tried it. It solves problem 1, but it seems that problem 2 still happens to me.

Since MPEG Streamclip requires Apple Quicktime to be installed in order to work, I'm wondering if the crash is a quicktime bug.

I have a file with which I can reliably reproduce the crash, and I'm wondering if it happens to anyone else's system. If someone else besides me can repro it, I may be able to narrow it down to a Quicktime bug or some other issue that I can get help with from the companies in question.

Wanna try it? Here are my repro steps:

Install Apple Quicktime Player for Windows version 7.1.5. I use the version without itunes, but I don't know if that's a factor.
Download and unzip Mpeg Streamclip for Windows version 1.1 from http://www.squared5.com/.
Download my repro file http://www.geekhackfilk.com/temp/P1060092.MOV (231 MB)

Open MPEG Streamclip.
File, open files.
Select P1060092.MOV.
File, Export to Quicktime.

Settings:
Compression: H.264 Encoder
Quality: 100%
Multipass and B-Frames: Checked.
Limit Data Rate: Checked, Limit it to 1024kbps. Resulting file size should say ~24 MB.
Sound: MPEG Layer 3, Mono, Auto, 128 kbps.
Frame Size: 640x480 (unscaled).
Frame Blending and Better Downscaling: Checked.
Interlaced Scaling and Deinterlace Video: Unchecked.
Field Dominance: Upper Field First.
Rotation: No
Zoom: 100%
X/Y:1
Center: 0,0
Cropping: Unchecked
Fast Start: Checked

Click on MAKE MOVIE.

Change the file name by adding _1 to the end so that it doesn't overwrite the original.

Click on SAVE.

Make sure nothing else is running as you are doing this encode. If I'm right, this is gonna crash your system hard, early in the second pass, at some point between 8-10% through the second pass. Be prepared for that.

Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to try this!

#294575 - 07/03/2007 10:52 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Can't help you with the bug, and I don't remember the thread you're talking about, but I just recently found a program called Super that seems to be able to transcode just about any file into just about any other kind of file. Maybe it'll work better for you.

#294576 - 07/03/2007 13:45 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
phi144
enthusiast

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
Tony, I gave this a shot. I followed your directions to the tee and did not have any issues. The file converted fine. The total size of the file after the conversion was 23.1 MB. The total conversion time was maybe 15 - 20 minutes.

#294577 - 07/03/2007 13:58 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: phi144]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks, Phi.

Maybe it's a bad codec I've got somewhere on the system. I'll also run memtest x86.

Hm.

#294578 - 07/03/2007 14:01 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Dignan, I'll give Super a try. Thanks!

#294579 - 08/03/2007 01:35 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
Can't help you with the bug, and I don't remember the thread you're talking about, but I just recently found a program called Super that seems to be able to transcode just about any file into just about any other kind of file. Maybe it'll work better for you.

Is there a similar program out there for audio files? I have 560 WMA files that I would like to transcode into MP3. Sound quality is not of paramount importance.

tanstaafl.

#294580 - 08/03/2007 01:52 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
dBpoweramp is usually the go-to tool for that sort of thing under Windows.

#294581 - 08/03/2007 14:42 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Dignan, I'll give Super a try. Thanks!

It worked on the initial test file (listed above) without crashing, but when I fed it a batch group of several files, it gave me strange errors: An infinite un-work-aroundable list of modal error boxes that said something about not enough disk space and an OK button. But there were hundreds of megs free on the disk drive. I had to task-kill the program. Also: It did not give me an option for two-pass high quality encoding.

Anyone got any other software suggestions?

#294582 - 08/03/2007 15:42 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That's strange. But "hundreds of megs"? I freak out if I have under five gigs available.

I could have sworn there was a way to do two-pass encoding... I'm guessing that has to be done in the settings for the encoder, which it auto-selects for you most of the time, and it doesn't seem to give you access to the encoder options. I guess that's something for the next version of the software

I haven't had errors like you're getting. I've sort of fallen back on this program because it's all I need to transcode almost anything into almost anything else. I'm going to start using it for making flv files for my website.

#294583 - 08/03/2007 15:45 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Have you thought about just buying Quicktime Pro? I think it's only like $20. I bought it and used it to convert some home movies to H.264 so I could import them into my parents' iTunes library. It took forever, yes, but it worked!

#294584 - 08/03/2007 17:52 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
That's strange. But "hundreds of megs"? I freak out if I have under five gigs available.

Sorry, I made a mistake in the units. I meant hundreds of gigs.

Quote:
Have you thought about just buying Quicktime Pro?

Sorry, didn't specify: My search for a better (faster/less crashy) encoder is because Quicktime Pro (latest version) gives me the troubles indicated above.

#294585 - 08/03/2007 18:32 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Question: do you know how your Pentax encodes videos?** What container/codec are they?

The videos I've seen cameras create have had some pretty odd encoding, and perhaps it's the process of transcoding one odd format to another (H.264 is still pretty new, after all).

I know it's not optimal, but have you thought about/tried converting the videos to some sort of high-quality common format first (uncompressed AVI or something), then to H.264 afterwards?

**I went back and read your thread again - does your camera actually record .MOV files? That's a new one to me!

#294586 - 08/03/2007 18:40 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Suggesting something new to try or buy might not be what you're looking for, but I have been using TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0 to re-encode Divx files for playback on my Zune. The results are very good and output is very customizable. You can also queue-up a bunch of jobs and have them run all at once while you're away.

The program seems to natively support H.264 input and output. I will download and process your sample MOV file on my home computer and let you know how it turns out.

#294587 - 08/03/2007 19:03 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: robricc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Suggesting something new to try or buy might not be what you're looking for

At the moment, it *is* what I'm looking for. Too bad TMPGEnc isn't a free product. I will try the trial version, though, and see how it does for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
does your camera actually record .MOV files?

Yes, but I'm unsure as to their internal encoding, I never looked closely at it. The example file linked at the top of the thread is directly from the camera, if you wanted to peek.

Your idea that it might be something goofy that confuses transcoders is definitely a possibility, and one I've considered. However, a two-stage encoding process isn't an optimal solution IMHO. Might be worth a try if I don't find another solution.

Mainly, I'm looking for a product that will reliably take a group of movie files from my camera, and batch-encode them to a smaller web-friendly format that's appropriate for putting up in my Gallery page. H.264 seems to be the best size-for-quality tradeoff at the moment, and the MOV file format and the quicktime player seem to be pretty reliable in terms of cross platform compatibility, so those are my desired choices of encoder and file-format.

The reason this is so important is that I always get back from a convention weekend, and this is the sticking point that keeps me from getting my photos/movies/conrept up on my web site quickly. I need something that works fast and reliably. In theory, the three products I've tried (Quicktime Pro, MPEG Streamclip, and Super) should have all satisfied this requirement, but they don't seem to do so, based on the problems I stated above.

#294588 - 08/03/2007 19:09 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: robricc]
oliver
addict

Quote:
... to re-encode Divx files for playback on my Zune ...

I've been using Encode360 for my zune, and it's free. I'm not sure if it supports H.264 or not.

#294589 - 08/03/2007 19:26 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: oliver]
robricc
carpal tunnel

That looks cool. I already had TMPGEnc Xpress 3 from other video editing projects and just recently upgraded to 4 which I think is even better.

The Zune is pretty slick. I've only had it a week, but the video playback is awesome for plane rides. When flying on an old American Airlines 767 with CRTs in the ceiling and video being projected on the bulk head, the Zune really saves the day.

#294590 - 08/03/2007 19:49 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
robricc
carpal tunnel

OK, so I don't know much about this H.264 stuff. The .MOV encoder in TMPGEnc Xpress has an H.246 option, but that created a file larger than your source. After looking through some Xpress docs, I saw that the MPEG4 encoder in AVC mode was the ticket for H.264. So, I encoded with that which does actually use a different encoder than Quicktime. First I did single pass, but then noticed you specified 2-pass in your original post. The single pass took 4 minutes and 2-pass was 8 minutes and change.

http://www.spmicro.com/temp/tony/P1060092_1-pass.mp4
http://www.spmicro.com/temp/tony/P1060092_2-pass.mp4

I selected the program to deinterlace only when necessary, but there seems to be some sort of deinterlacing weirdness on my playback. I wouldn't think your source would have been interlaced, but the deinterlacing filter has some features I can play with. If you like what you see enough, I can try and clean up the video a bit more later.

Oh yeah, the audio portion was encoded in AAC at 128k, Mono, 44.1khz. There was no MP3 option in TMPGEnc Xpress.

#294591 - 08/03/2007 19:52 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Quote:
Suggesting something new to try or buy might not be what you're looking for

At the moment, it *is* what I'm looking for. Too bad TMPGEnc isn't a free product.

If you truly want Free Software for this, then I believe mplayer can do it also.

Cheers

#294592 - 08/03/2007 20:04 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

In regards to my last message: I don't know why I thought you said Pentax. What model is this camera? I'm curious.

I tried analyzing the MOV file, but I guess GSpot can't analyze MOV files for some reason.

I tried encoding your file with Super and it seemed to work perfectly. It was fast and created a file that was 13% of the size of the original, and the quality looked excellent. I have no idea why it would have a problem with a batch job. That's unfortunate because it looks like Super would be the program for you if it were stable enough. I do admit that I've had the occasional stability problem with it, but over all it's been a great application for me.

Do you have another machine you could try this all out on? Perhaps your machine has entered codec hell, from which a complete reformatting is the only escape

#294593 - 09/03/2007 13:27 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I tried encoding your file with Super and it seemed to work perfectly.

My results here.

Strangely, the file seemd to get created OK, it just gave errors about it. I had to taskkill the software, but got a file out of it.

Attachments
295529-super_error.jpg (135 downloads)

#294594 - 09/03/2007 13:50 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, wait, Super wouldn't work for me anyway. I tried out the resulting file on the web site, and it did not have the "fast start" feature set in the file (as MPEG Streamclip and Quicktime Pro allowed me to).

Sorry, didn't mention that as being one of my requirements before.

I'll try a couple other encoders mentioned in this thread, and see how they fare.

#294595 - 09/03/2007 13:53 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Ah, I'm not sure I even know what that feature is.

If you ever wanted to try it again, could you try choosing MP4 as the container?

#294596 - 09/03/2007 14:14 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Ah, I'm not sure I even know what that feature is.

It's the feature that lets you start watching the movie as it's downloading. As opposed to having to wait for the whole thing to download before starting playback.

I'm trying TMPGEnc, but that's got the problems of (a) not having a checkbox for the aforementioned feature, either, and (b) not allowing me to spec the output bitrate (ie, it doesn't give me control over the resulting file size).

#294597 - 09/03/2007 14:25 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

.....aaaaaand TMPGenc locks the system at 45%.

I must be in codec hell. How does one look up the installed codecs on one's system?

#294598 - 09/03/2007 14:50 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Attached is a screen shot of my codecs, per the Windows Control Panel. Anyone see anything bad in there?

Attachments
295535-codecs.jpg (130 downloads)

#294599 - 09/03/2007 16:08 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Attached is a screen shot of my codecs, per the Windows Control Panel. Anyone see anything bad in there?

Well, comparing it to mine I don't see anything wrong. Mine's a little different than yours but not much and not in any way that would explain anything. Sorry!

I still think it's worthwhile trying to do all of this on a different machine.

#294600 - 09/03/2007 17:09 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

G-Spot, referenced before, is often a big help here.

Honestly, I never install anything but one of the K-Lite Codec Packs (no relation to Kazaa Lite) any more, and I never have any problems. I'd suggest trying to uninstall the codecs you have installed and reinstall them with K-Lite.

#294601 - 09/03/2007 19:33 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
G-Spot, referenced before, is often a big help here.

I'm just curious, but in what way? I attempted to use GSpot just to find out how his video was encoded, but as far as I can tell, GSpot is unable to analyze MOV files. I have multiple versions of the program and neither of them could do it.

Quote:
Honestly, I never install anything but one of the K-Lite Codec Packs (no relation to Kazaa Lite) any more, and I never have any problems. I'd suggest trying to uninstall the codecs you have installed and reinstall them with K-Lite.

Ugh, I hate that codec pack. I as far as I was concerned, it just made a bigger mess than was necessary. On every computer I use, the only codec I install is Divx, and from there all I need is VLC and I'm able to play nearly anything. I'm at the point where if VLC can't play it, it's a seriously weird video format that isn't worth my time.

#294602 - 09/03/2007 19:43 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, it's no help with MOVs, as it only understand AVI envelopes (and WMV to a lesser extent). But it can help you see what codecs are on your system and how the system is trying to use them. Probably less so with encoding now that I think of it.

What "mess" did K-Lite create? I have had zero problem with it, which is more than I can say for VLC. (I have never gotten VLC under Windows to play anything without an hour of fiddling, but that's beside the point.) The only thing I can think of that you might be talking about is the installation of Media Player Classic, and maybe the quasi-legal Real- and Quicktime-Alternatives. But you can install it without any of those.

#294603 - 09/03/2007 19:53 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
You can use this to remove any codec's

http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccpi

I personally install DefilerPak and Nvidia PureVideo. Defilerpak is a small set of codecs put together by a friend.

#294604 - 09/03/2007 20:00 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

The mess that K-Lite caused was the sheer number of codecs it installed. If something goes wrong and you can't play something, it's madness to try to figure out what's not playing correctly.

Perhaps the reason you can't get VLC to play nicely is that you have all those codecs on there? All I know is that I've had zero problems with it, and in my experience the more you bother with codecs, the worse things get. I made the decision a few years ago to never install any codecs other than Divx, and since then I used mplayer until I switched to VLC because it had a GUI and could play DVDs (speaking of quasi-legal).

Quote:
The only thing I can think of that you might be talking about is the installation of Media Player Classic

You need to install MPC? It's always been a standalone file when I've used it, and it always works quite well. And I've never installed Real or QT alternatives. Why? because VLC plays them.

Try my method sometime. When I reformat my system, my installation order is always the same:

Firefox
AVG
VLC/Divx

After that I don't need to install a single other thing to play 99% of the files I've come across.

Quote:
it can help you see what codecs are on your system and how the system is trying to use them.

Neat! I wasn't aware it could do that. Thanks for the tip!

#294605 - 09/03/2007 20:16 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
If something goes wrong and you can't play something, it's madness to try to figure out what's not playing correctly.

That's what GSpot is for. Although I've come across that situation about once in several years of using K-Lite.

And there are multiple K-Lites with varying numbers of codecs.

#294606 - 09/03/2007 21:05 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
could you try choosing MP4 as the container?

I'd recommend doing this in general. That way, if someone has a non Quicktime codec on their system that does H.264, it should just work, instead of requiring the codec to know about the .MOV container.

#294607 - 09/03/2007 22:06 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'd suggest trying to uninstall the codecs you have installed and reinstall them with K-Lite.

I never installed any codecs at all, other than installing the Quicktime player and the Divx player.

#294608 - 10/03/2007 00:02 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
dBpoweramp is usually the go-to tool for that sort of thing under Windows.

Perhaps I am doing something incorrectly (I hope so) but dbpoweramp does not appear to support *.wma files.

Am I overlooking something?

tanstaafl.

#294609 - 10/03/2007 00:42 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I guess you have to install a dBpoweramp WMA plugin.

#294610 - 10/03/2007 06:42 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Interesting. I thought I had a solution when I noticed that there was a Mac version of mpeg streamclip. Okay, the mac is slow, but at least there's a batch encode option in mpeg streamclip so it can run overnight.

Not so fast. These files crash the mac, too. But at least the mac gives a crashdump. I don't suppose the crashdump data is decipherable by any of youse guys is it? (attached)

Attachments
295611-QuicktimeMPEGStreamclipCrash.rtf (142 downloads)

#294611 - 10/03/2007 12:33 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, sorta.

Quote:
EXC_BAD_ACCESS/KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE — This is caused by the thread trying to write to read-only memory. This is always caused by a data access.

What it's saying is that the program is trying to write to data outside its realm. This is usually a bug in the program. And it did crash inside the DivX codec.

My guess is that there's something funky in the clip and there's a bug in both the Windows and Mac codecs that it tweaks. The obvious solution would be to install a different codec to deal with it. Maybe get someone who was able to convert it properly to tell you what DivX codec they have installed and then install that one.

I'm afraid I don't have any real codec knowledge within MacOS, but I bet you're running the official DivX codec on both the Mac and the Windows machine, and they probably are 99% the same code with the same bug.

#294612 - 10/03/2007 18:37 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Dump the official Divx plugin on the mac and try Perian. That and the Flip4Mac codecs are the only ones my mac has, and it encoded your file fine to an MP4 H.264 file.

#294613 - 11/03/2007 00:51 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I guess you have to install a dBpoweramp WMA plugin.

Doh! Of course. It never occurred to me to search for plug-ins.

That did the trick -- it is converting files as I type this. About four hours to go... I tested a sample conversion, sound quality is (as would be expected) slightly degraded by the conversion, but is acceptable.

Thanks, Bitt! As always, you are a big help.

tanstaafl.

#294614 - 11/03/2007 04:18 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
And it did crash inside the DivX codec.

Holy shit. Now that I've had a chance to sit down and actually look at the crashdump file, I see this as well.

BUT I WAS NOT ENCODING DIVX. I WAS ENCODING MOV. WHY WAS IT USING THE DIVX CODEC AT ALL? ARGH.

Any tips on how to definitely get rid of this cancer on both the Mac and the PC?

#294615 - 11/03/2007 05:03 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, simply running deinstall on the Divx items on the PC seemed to work, didn't even need a reboot. Both the Windows control panel and GSpot no longer report any Divx codecs.

Try MPEG Streamclip on the PC again, same exact crash as detailed at the top of the thread.

Of course the whole "it crashes in the Divx codec" thing was only diagnosed on the Mac, I was just hoping that what was good for the goose was good for the gander. I'm going to try removing Divx from the mac (not sure how but I'll poke at it) and see if I get the same result.

#294616 - 11/03/2007 05:13 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

/Library/Quicktime and ~/Library/Quicktime contain any external video codecs on the Mac. Nuke DivX there and it will be gone, then install Perian (linked above) to still be able to play them.

*edit* looking at your crashdump, DivX installed a framework too, nuke it from /Library/Frameworks/DivX Toolkit.framework.

Edited by drakino (11/03/2007 05:17)

#294617 - 11/03/2007 05:48 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I had already found everything except the framework dealie and started another attempt at encoding. The first pass of the encode was at 49% when I read this message and deleted the framework dealie. Wonder if it will complain when it reaches the second pass, or if it will just work?

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I don't have a solution yet, but all the great help and advice in this thread gives me a warm fuzzy.

This is very frustrating, there's about a dozen other things I want to get to, but I keep getting tripped up on this and must spend every free moment trying to get last weekend's con movies properly encoded. I'd rather be working on music, or testing Nong's beta toy, or doing other updates to my web site... but until I get a proper solution for encoding movies for my web site, I just can't move forward with anything. Argh.

#294618 - 11/03/2007 06:13 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Keep in mind deleting the framework while the encoder was open and active doesn't unload it from memory, it just deletes it off the disk. The encoder will still be using it if it loaded it when you started the program.

#294619 - 11/03/2007 17:02 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Well, in any case, it seemed to work. I left a batch encode of several files running overnight on the Mac and in the morning it was done, no crashes.

So, on the mac, the solution is: Delete all Divx. Thanks for the help, and the tip about that one set of files that I hadn't seen before.

I'd still eventually like to find a PC solution, since the PC can do these encodes about four times as fast (when it doesn't crash).

Unfortunately, when the PC crashes, it crashes HARD, with the system simply going BLINK straight into full-power-off mode. One millisecond it's working, the next, bam, no power. No blue screen, no crash message, no log file. So I'm not sure how to go about finding the source of the crash.

For all I know, it could still be some leftover remnant of Divx on the PC that I'm not seeing, but I wouldn't know where to look other than Gspot and the Windows control panel codecs list.

#294620 - 13/03/2007 05:41 Re: Can someone help me with a bug repro? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Final answer:

Intermittently bad RAM. Only shows up after Memtest86 has had a chance to run several passes.

Funny how the Mac and PC both crashed, but for completely different reasons.

Only one of two RAM modules is bad. Corsair, lifetime warranty in theory, but I can't find the receipt. I have the original packaging and I know where I bought it. Wonder if that's enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >