Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#295989 - 30/03/2007 18:33 Re: Considering a Mac purchase [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
I suppose people would pick it for the out of box ease of setup.

This is particularly true in my line of work, we have a stack of Avid workstations running on Dell PC's. Even when we buy machine with Avid approved components it's usually hit and miss getting it going in the first place. There's driver versions, hardware configurations, settings to tweak, etc.

The Macs running Final Cut however work right out the box. Unpack the hardware, finalise the OSX install, install FCP, run a Software Update and it's good to go.

Andy M

#295990 - 02/04/2007 00:54 Re: Considering a Mac purchase [Re: cwillenbrock]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Loc: Dover, NJ
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I picked up the G4 Cube

Do you still have that G4 Cube?

I do. In fact I just unpacked it and set it up to prep it for whatever (undetermined) fate it has outside of my apartment.

...any particular reason you asked?

#295991 - 02/04/2007 00:59 Re: Considering a Mac purchase [Re: cwillenbrock]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I picked up the G4 Cube

Do you still have that G4 Cube?

I do. In fact I just unpacked it and set it up to prep it for whatever (undetermined) fate it has outside of my apartment.

...any particular reason you asked?

Oh, apologies for the altzheimers'.. I thought I'd already replied again!

Just mulling things.. I've always been fond of the cube, and was idly thinking about maybe getting one someday. But no, a mini would do better now.

Cheers

#295992 - 02/04/2007 09:53 Re: Considering a Mac purchase [Re: mlord]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Fair enough.

#295993 - 04/04/2007 18:30 Re: Considering a Mac purchase [Re: cwillenbrock]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

OK well... with the feedback I've been getting and today's release of the 8-core Mac Pro, I'm pretty much sold. So now it's just a matter of ironing out the configuration details...

Is there any configuration option on the Mac Pros that I can't do myself at a later time for less money? Hard disks and memory should obviously be a cinch (though I'm curious to know if third-party RAM upgrades work as well, esp. with regard to thermal issues).

If I'm buying a $4k computer, should I spend the $250 for the AppleCare Protection Plan 3 year warranty? I don't know much about servicing Apple machines yet, so I don't know the reliability and managability of Macs (or possible lack thereof) would require it.

I think that will just about do it for me. Thoughts?

#295994 - 04/04/2007 20:19 Re: Considering a Mac purchase [Re: cwillenbrock]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Keep in mind the Mac Pro uses some very high end memory, known as FB-DIMM. Third party stuff might be slightly cheeper then Apple charges, but make sure you get ones with proper heatsinks. FB-DIMM's generate a lot of heat.

Hard drives, any SATA one will work. The Mac Pro comes with 4 bays, and 3 will ship with empty brackets. Simply buy a SATA hard drive and put it in the bracket, and you should be set.

And yes, buy the AppleCare plan to extend the warranty to 3 years, if you think you will own it more then one year. While the general reliability is good, if something like the mainboard dies, it's not going to be a cheep expense to fix. You can wait and buy it later though, as it is valid as long as it is activated during the first year of ownership. Also, it is heavily discounted for students, so if you have a college friend, they could help save you a bunch of money.

#295995 - 04/04/2007 20:52 Re: Considering a Mac purchase [Re: cwillenbrock]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Wow 8 cores on a desktop, that's just crazy. I've got a quad core poweredge at work which has one core working its knackers off and the other three idling. Such a waste... so I ran a copy of boinc on it as well.

Andy M

#295996 - 04/04/2007 21:05 Re: Considering a Mac purchase [Re: drakino]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
Also, it is heavily discounted for students, so if you have a college friend, they could help save you a bunch of money.

This is true for most of the systems apple sells. If you don't know anyone associated with an educational institution, consider the ADC membership. You'll often get a discount on a high end system that's about equal to the cost, and you'll get all sorts of mailings from them, the most valuable of which being Leopard once it's released.

Matthew

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2