Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#296553 - 05/04/2007 09:56 More gremlins: Pop when switching off ignition.
snoopstah
enthusiast

Loc: Squamish, BC
Looks like my empeg is feeling a little neglected so wants to make itself known!

After my upgrade problems last night (which, to be fair, weren't the empeg's fault), I've now reverted back to v2.01. However, since plugging the player back into the car this morning, whenever I switch off the ignition, the empeg completely shuts down, and causes a pop through the amps.

There have been absolutely no changes to any of the wiring since yesterday when it worked perfectly - switching off the ignition would correctly put the empeg into standby mode. The only change is that I put v2.01 on, put the latest Hijack on, and uploaded a few tunes.

I saw something about a negative spike bug in the FAQ, but my unit is a Mk2a, which the FAQ says doesn't have this problem - and anyway, it's been working fine for the last 5-6 years!

Ideas?
Empeg Mk2a 128G with amber lit buttons kit - #30102490

PhotoVancouver | Squamish, BC Webcam | Personal Website

#296554 - 05/04/2007 13:23 Re: More gremlins: Pop when switching off ignition. [Re: snoopstah]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I saw something about a negative spike bug in the FAQ

And the very first line of that faq entry says that it could also be blown fuses or incorrect wiring.

I would look for a blown fuse on the 12v constant power line, or wires pulled loose from the back of the docking connector.

#296555 - 05/04/2007 13:28 Re: More gremlins: Pop when switching off ignition. [Re: snoopstah]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
whenever I switch off the ignition, the empeg completely shuts down

And there's also this, which again mentions blown fuses and/or wiring issues.

#296556 - 05/04/2007 13:40 Re: More gremlins: Pop when switching off ignition. [Re: snoopstah]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
However, since plugging the player back into the car this morning, whenever I switch off the ignition, the empeg completely shuts down, and causes a pop through the amps.

Well, the empeg is *supposed* to completely shutdown when the ignition is switched off. So what's new here?

Note that there is a config option in emplode (or config.ini) to adjust the delay time from ignition-off to empeg-off -- perhaps that setting got lost/reset, and all you need is to set it back on again (to, say, 4 seconds or so). ??

#296557 - 05/04/2007 13:51 Re: More gremlins: Pop when switching off ignition. [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Well, the empeg is *supposed* to completely shutdown when the ignition is switched off. So what's new here?

I'm sure it was configured to have a nonzero timeout, and he was used to it going into standby. I didn't verify this with him, but the "pop" problem coinciding with this tells me it's not the standby issue. Pop means the player didn't shut down gracefully, and that the power to the player was lost before the amp remote line was shut off.

I wonder if (on a properly wired and nonfuseblown player) the ignition timeout were zero, if it would still make the amp remote line shut off (and therefore prevent the pop) before doing a full power off. I'll bet it does.