Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#301579 - 22/08/2007 19:01 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: visuvius]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
They have an ExpressCard version, too.

#301580 - 22/08/2007 19:01 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: visuvius]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
When they constantly throw that in your face, its gonna get the customer thinking about how much of that stuff they actually do, at least it got me thinking about it.

Fair enough, they do promote iLife as a big deal because for a good chunk of consumers it is a big deal. While many programs out there in Windows land have sprung up to address the consumer media market like Picasa, none have the integrated nature iLife does. Import a photo, and I can then turn over to iDVD and crank out a nice slideshow disc to send off to the parents. Stuff like that. I personally use iPhoto all the time, where as iMovie and iDVD sit rarely used, and GarageBand and iWeb aren't on my Mac anymore. I don't feel removing them has detracted from the value of the system as it does plenty of other things I'm happy with.

Apple pushes other areas as well, they just don't market everything they do to the consumer. Very few consumers are interested in easy to code for frameworks for distributed computing and such. It is however there, and used quite a bit in the scientific community.

Asfar as the strong marketing, I tend to ignore messages like that when I want to buy something, since marketing doesn't do anything for me. The actual product is what does what I want, so thats what actually matters.

Quote:
It'd be great if I were uber enough to just drop into UNIX and do what I need to do cause Macs are just cool like that but I'd have no idea what I'm doing.

I also had no idea what I was doing at a Unix shell prompt in 1998, and had a Windows NT box sitting in a corner of my house as a file server. At some point though I decided that sticking to a Windows only view of the world was probably limiting my choices too much, so I reloaded the box with SuSE Linux and started learning. I had some rough starts with Linux before, but finally decided to put in the proper effort to use it. Shortly thereafter, I had a box that could file share, route my broadband internet connection to multiple machines, and running a web server for development work. Because of that decision now over 10 years ago, I've had new career opportunities open up simply because I stopped saying "well, I know what that offers is cool, but I'm comfortable here" and actually expanded my computer knowledge. I've seen too many coworkers stuck in a similar situation of comfort, and the ones that did step out generally ended up better off for it.

That last part isn't specifically there to try and convince someone to use a Mac, instead it's just there more as an example of how at some point, it might be worth it to try something new, even if on the surface it doesn't seem to be 300% better.

Interesting tidbit back on the Mac side. I've been noticing more programmers look towards Mac laptops as well for some reason. Here in my office, about 50% of the programmers have one, even though they spend all day in Visual Studio. Two of them are even working on a pretty slick OpenGL app for visualizing some of what our game servers are doing.

#301581 - 22/08/2007 23:28 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: visuvius]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
When I had to rebuild my Sony from the restore partition, I found out that the bloat is installed in a second step. First the os drivers and such installs in a pretty standard MS way.

Then there is a second reboot, where all the bloat is loaded. If you kill the installer, you end with a cleanly installed system that runs quite fast.

The problem I had was that I didn't know how the track down method by which the second boot bloat install was being called - as the next boot would start the install again.

Edit: btw, If you are no fan of NAV. Trying to uninstall it is a pain. Symantec provides, on their website, a special uninstaller that really does the job.

Edited by gbeer (22/08/2007 23:32)

#301582 - 23/08/2007 06:05 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
As far as Bluetooth goes, I'd wait for this adapter to come out. (Check out the cool PCCard-stored mouse, too.)

I've got the PC Card version and whilst it is handy, I wouldn't use it for any extended period of time. You will probably give yourself really bad hand cramps if you had to do a lot of work with one.

#301583 - 23/08/2007 18:52 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: hybrid8]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
Take the Sony back. Seriously.

I agree with that, but not for the reasons you cite.

Every time I hear the word Sony I think back to the infamous CD Root Kit Virus debacle, and I remember my vow to never, ever give Sony another dime of my money.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old curmudgeon holding a grudge beyond all reason, but there you have it.

tanstaafl.

#301584 - 24/08/2007 19:05 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: visuvius]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
DUDE that bluetooth adapter and mouse are awesome!

Even smaller!

#301585 - 24/08/2007 19:14 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: sein]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The Newton one, though, is rounded so that there are no corners to snag. I can imagine snapping that Princeton one off pretty easily.

#301586 - 24/08/2007 20:01 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: sein]
visuvius
addict

Yeah I saw that today on Engadget. I'd rather have the Mogo for its round edge but this one would work great as well. The problem is neither of these are really available right now. I'm gonna go to Fry's and pickup a cheapo BT adapter in the meantime.

#301587 - 24/08/2007 23:04 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: tman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
As far as Bluetooth goes, I'd wait for this adapter to come out. (Check out the cool PCCard-stored mouse, too.)

I've got the PC Card version and whilst it is handy, I wouldn't use it for any extended period of time. You will probably give yourself really bad hand cramps if you had to do a lot of work with one.

While not nearly as compact, I've been using this mouse on the road for quite some time. I actually really enjoy it. I have a nice black version that's very solidly built and feels great in my hand, and I have big hands.

#301588 - 25/08/2007 02:43 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The advantage to the PCCard one is that it takes zero storage space. It can be left in the computer all the time, meaning that you don't have to make any additional effort to remember to bring it. (Unless you actually have another PCCard that you want to use; I haven't used one in years.)

#301589 - 25/08/2007 12:15 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Where would I put my 2400bps modem then?

#301590 - 25/08/2007 12:46 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

Can't you whistle ?

#301591 - 25/08/2007 12:59 Re: Looking for a new notebook [Re: andy]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
Quote:

Can't you whistle ?

lol! Reminds me of that girl in one of the final episodes of Heroes who could "go on the Internet".

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3