Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#302308 - 20/09/2007 14:37 Linux (CentOS 4) - Resetting the GUI?
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I just did another CentOS 4 install this morning, and everything worked great. While installing the software package I need the machine for, I managed to really hose something up (go figure, huh?). The software worked fine, until I logged out, when the problem surfaced.

When any normal user logs in, either using GNOME or KDE, the screen just turns a nice shade of bluish-gray and stays there, not loading anything. When I try logging in as root into GNOME, I get the spash screen and then it stops at the MetaCity configuration and just hangs there. Root can log in using KDE just fine. Adding a new user results in the blue-gray screen, so I'm guessing the skel (or whatever its called now) got messed up also.

Is there any way to get all the users (and root) to be able to log in using GNOME? I'm not sure how to reset what needs to be reset, or what exactly got messed up. I tried copying the .* files from a working machine (that has the same software package on it this laptop needs) and ended up with the same results.

Any ideas?

#302309 - 20/09/2007 20:43 Re: Linux (CentOS 4) - Resetting the GUI? [Re: Tim]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
That's (a clone of) Redhat for ya.

I'm using a classroom full of Fedora7 boxes this week, and many of them get a "blank black" screen after adjusting things in GNOME. Doing the same from KDE seems to produce working screens. Some of the time... Flakey.

Cheers

#302310 - 21/09/2007 11:30 Re: Linux (CentOS 4) - Resetting the GUI? [Re: mlord]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Yeah, I wasn't happy when the developers of this software decided to go from Red Hat to Red Hat Enterprise. The install scripts even check to see that you have the right version and update, so it takes some finagaling just to get it to install on CentOS boxes.

I did get it fixed, which is weird. Since a new user had the same problems, I figured I was screwed. It turns out that just by removing all the .* files associated with the GUI, it rebuilt them properly. New users still get the blue-gray hanging screen, though. Like I said, weird.