Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#307584 - 23/02/2008 12:43 When you drop your Empeg on the cold, hard floor...............
zoony
new poster

........and you break the VFD

Did I read recently that replacements are to be had?? or was there a need to fund a group purchase? At any rate this is where I am at the moment. Any advice gratefully received.

It says a lot that everything else is fine!

#307585 - 23/02/2008 13:25 Re: When you drop your Empeg on the cold, hard floor............... [Re: zoony]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: zoony
........and you break the VFD

Did I read recently that replacements are to be had?? or was there a need to fund a group purchase? At any rate this is where I am at the moment. Any advice gratefully received.

It says a lot that everything else is fine!

Just to confirm, are you sure the VFD is broken? Do you have a piece of broken glass to prove it?

I ask, because dropping an empeg in this fashion also very frequently causes a cut in the cable that connects the display board to the main board. With the result that the VFD stops working correctly until the wire is repaired.

Just being hopeful here, but.. are you sure it is really broken?

Cheers

#307588 - 23/02/2008 16:46 Re: When you drop your Empeg on the cold, hard floor............... [Re: mlord]
zoony
new poster

Sadly, yes. Read the Faqs, opened the case, turned it upside down and out dropped the fractured end of the nipple. It's absolutely, positively, definitely a very dead VFD. The cable may well be cut, but that's the lesser of the problems I guess!

#307593 - 23/02/2008 22:06 Re: When you drop your Empeg on the cold, hard floor............... [Re: mlord]
TigerJimmy
old hand

If it hasn't sold yet, I'd wager your easiest and cheapest solution would be to buy the "ugly" empeg in For Sale and transfer the display board.