Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#309296 - 21/04/2008 02:49 Rush
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I just got back from the concert. Snakes and Arrows tour. Needless to say, the concert kicked ass. Their music was tighter than ever.

One question though... What's with all the chicken jokes? I HAVE to be missing something.

Err, nevermind...

Quote:
I was close enough to make out the three huge "Hen House" rotisserie chicken roasters, as big as Alex's Hughes & Kettner amplifier cabinets, positioned on the stage behind Geddy. The last couple of tours it was clothes dryers, and now it's frigging chicken ovens. You can't say these Canucks don't have a sense of humor. For those who are still unaware, this began as an inside joke about the appliance-sized speaker cabinets that are often used on stage. Since Geddy was now relying on ear monitors to hear himself, and not bass cabinets, he wanted to balance out Alex's wall of guitar amps with his own "appliances." The funniest part of it all was watching the young lady, dressed in a white chef's uniform, come out and baste the chickens throughout the show.

Edited by lectric (21/04/2008 02:54)

#309305 - 21/04/2008 16:40 Re: Rush [Re: lectric]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah. That description you quoted is close, but has an important factual error:

The reason that speaker cabinets aren't needed on Geddy's side of the stage has nothing to do with monitoring. It's simpler than that. He just goes DI (direct-in) with his bass (always has, at least in recent years) and there isn't any need for a stack of bass amps on his side of the stage like Alex's guitar amps on Alex's side of the stage. So something had to go in that spot to make the stage look symmetrical.

But yeah, they've been doing the "appliances on stage" gag for the last several tours. As I recall, it started with a single refrigerator, which got restocked with water bottles during the show by roadies. Then they had dryers where the gag was that roadies would have to come out between songs and put quarters into the dryers to keep them going. The T-shirts in the dryers would get thrown out to the audience at the end of the show, with specific messages on each one indicating which dryer they came out of.

The rotisserie chicken thing was started up on the first leg of this most recent tour, meant as simply a continued escalation of the running gag. I thought it was hilarious especially with the intro movie with Ged doing his Scotsman impression.

#309311 - 21/04/2008 18:04 Re: Rush [Re: tfabris]
lectric
pooh-bah

hehe, that was funny. As was the Lil' Rush bit.

#309312 - 21/04/2008 18:59 Re: Rush [Re: lectric]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, that li'l rush bit was possibly the single most awesome thing I have ever seen in my entire life. smile

I haven't looked for it on Youtube yet. I should. smile

#309314 - 21/04/2008 21:08 Re: Rush [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

There's several of them, all shakycams. Best one I've found so far is this, although the volume is so loud it clips pretty badly at points, so turn it down before you play.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FrejJHPnVfk

#309321 - 21/04/2008 23:56 Re: Rush [Re: tfabris]
lectric
pooh-bah

Hahaha, that was so great. Definitely buying the Concert DVD if/when it comes out.