Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#309908 - 07/05/2008 17:21 Blackberry
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I was forced to get a Blackberry by work. It's an 8820.

Surely someone else out there has one.

What sort of cool stuff should I load on it? I already found an SSH client, MidpSSH, and a few other things, but I guess I'd rather people suggest what they like.

#309909 - 07/05/2008 18:45 Re: Blackberry [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I asked my friend who works at RIM. He says "I wouldn't actually know, 'cause I don't run any 3rd party apps."

#309910 - 07/05/2008 18:48 Re: Blackberry [Re: canuckInOR]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

He just came back with some websites to look on, though:

http://www.bplay.com/
http://www.builtforblackberry.com/
http://www.handango.com/

I'm sure you've already found those, anyway...

#309911 - 07/05/2008 18:58 Re: Blackberry [Re: wfaulk]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I have an 8830. It's the spawn of Satan as far as I'm concerned.

I installed Opera for a browser, which is slightly less suck than the one that comes with it.

In my experience, the only thing this device does well is email. I've been quite disappointed with every other application.

Can you share the link to the ssh client? That might be useful.

FWIW,

Jim

#309912 - 07/05/2008 19:22 Re: Blackberry [Re: TigerJimmy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

MidpSSH

Yeah. I don't like it much, either, and I certainly don't want to be that tied to my email. But as long as I'm forced to have it, I might as well try to do something vaguely fun or useful with it.

#309913 - 07/05/2008 20:21 Re: Blackberry [Re: canuckInOR]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
"I wouldn't actually know, 'cause I don't run any 3rd party apps."

Well I wouldn't actually know because if it wasn't bad enough I have to be a corporate monkey with the damm thing in my pocket 24/7 the security policy of the company I work for locks it down so I can't run 3rd party apps at all! frown

Major suck-fest!

No.1 reason for wanting to quit corporate rat race = my Blackberry!

It becomes habit to take it every where, I now make a point of leaving all mobile technology when I go out, I figure if some one really needs me they will find me the old fashioned way, and if it isn't important enough to wait for my reply it couldn't be that important in the first place smile

Cheers

Cris.

#309914 - 07/05/2008 20:56 Re: Blackberry [Re: Cris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Cris
I figure if some one really needs me they will find me the old fashioned way

Smoke signals or drums? laugh

#309915 - 07/05/2008 21:15 Re: Blackberry [Re: tman]
MarkH

A beta IMAP client

http://www.logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail

Regards

Mark

#309920 - 08/05/2008 04:15 Re: Blackberry [Re: tman]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: tman
Smoke signals or drums? laugh

No here in Yorkshire things are a lot more simple than that, more of a shouting and waving your arms around system smile

Cheers

Cris.

#309922 - 08/05/2008 07:37 Re: Blackberry [Re: Cris]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Looks like I will be forced into getting one (which will of course be fully locked down - I helped write that part of the security policy...d'oh) and my biggest annoyance is that I will have to pay for it. So I'm refusing until it gets paid for by the firm - it's not like I want it. Jeeez - my phone is on 24/7 anyway so if it is really important I can always be contacted, and email is so asynchronous comms
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#309927 - 08/05/2008 09:35 Re: Blackberry [Re: frog51]
tman
carpal tunnel

You have to pay for it? Wha?

#309931 - 08/05/2008 12:09 Re: Blackberry [Re: Cris]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Cris
It becomes habit to take it every where, I now make a point of leaving all mobile technology when I go out, I figure if some one really needs me they will find me the old fashioned way, and if it isn't important enough to wait for my reply it couldn't be that important in the first place smile
When I took this new position at work (about two years ago), I was required to get a cell phone. They even took my desk phone away (which I had for eight years - people still call that phone instead of my 'new' number) since managers and above are the only people important enough to have both. I hate the idea of a leash, so I either leave it at work locked in a drawer if I am there past normal hours. If I leave early, I take it home and dump it on my dresser and forget about it until the next business day. I guess it is so folks (like my customers) can get ahold of me while I'm tooling around campus.

#309932 - 08/05/2008 13:14 Re: Blackberry [Re: frog51]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Why is having your email with you all the time is such a problem? I recently lost my ordinary work phone and it was replaced with an HTC Tytn II with Vodaphone Business Email and it's great. Nobody expects an instant response, so if I don't feel like replying until I'm back in the office it's no great problem. If it was urgent they could ring me. Maybe it's just the way different companies work. Or maybe the fact I quite enjoy my job (the practical aspects of it at least).

That said cellphone coverage is patchy where I live so the phone doesn't always work, they've never asked for my landline number.

BTW, my Tytn is completely unlocked (even down to the carrier, my orange sim works in it). I've even got the demo applications from the new Qt/CE 4.4.0 build running on it.

Andy M

#309933 - 08/05/2008 13:26 Re: Blackberry [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: andym
Nobody expects an instant response

That's great for you, but I believe that the point of giving them to employees in general, especially those who have desk jobs and are not frequently on the road or out of the office, is to tie them to work 24 hours a day. They already had my personal cell phone number and that apparently wasn't good enough. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Blackberry (well, I could complain about a number of UI and other design decisions), but the implication when given one by your employer is that you should always be doing work.

#309935 - 08/05/2008 14:16 Re: Blackberry [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
the implication when given [a cellphone] by your employer is that you should always be doing work.

Yup. If it gets to the point where an employer expects me to carry a phone (for other than a short-term support rotation), I'll be renegotiating my salary, billing them for being on-call 24/7.

I had a company give me a pager. The batteries ran out, and I left it on a shelf at home for the next two years. Not once did anyone try paging me (pages got sent to email, too). When I left the company, I handed it back, dead batteries and all.

#309940 - 08/05/2008 16:07 Re: Blackberry [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Nobody expects an instant response

That's great for you, but I believe that the point of giving them to employees in general, especially those who have desk jobs and are not frequently on the road or out of the office, is to tie them to work 24 hours a day. They already had my personal cell phone number and that apparently wasn't good enough. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Blackberry (well, I could complain about a number of UI and other design decisions), but the implication when given one by your employer is that you should always be doing work.

Surely if your job involves getting phonecalls at all hours of the day and night then why would a few emails make any difference? If it galls you that much just turn it off and blame the cell carrier if you miss something critical. I've always informed my employer that cell coverage is very patchy at home and they've never said anything.

The only people in my company that use them all the time are company directors or people on call, both have signed contracts of employment that state this as a requirement. If you've been given a blackberry but your contact with your employer hasn't changed or you've been explicitly told you need to answer emails at all hours of the day and night then what's the big deal?

If I look at the emails I get after 5:30 it's usually from some piece of critical kit that's fallen over and it's in my best interests to fix it before it affects on air output, assuming it hasn't already, in which case I'd probably get a phonecall.

Edited by andym (08/05/2008 16:07)

Andy M

#309946 - 08/05/2008 17:49 Re: Blackberry [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Surely if your job involves getting phonecalls at all hours of the day and night then why would a few emails make any difference?

Because the expectation has switched from "call me if something breaks" to "why didn't you respond to the inconsequential email I sent you at 3AM?".

#309947 - 08/05/2008 18:10 Re: Blackberry [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Surely if your job involves getting phonecalls at all hours of the day and night then why would a few emails make any difference?

Because the expectation has switched from "call me if something breaks" to "why didn't you respond to the inconsequential email I sent you at 3AM?".

That's the difference between an expectation and a contractual obligation. If someone asked me that, i'd have to say that I was busy being asleep.

Andy M

#309950 - 08/05/2008 19:28 Re: Blackberry [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I think part of the issue here is culture difference. I get the feeling that the expectation afforded to managers in the UK is that they are reasonable. That is not the expectation afforded managers here.

#309953 - 08/05/2008 19:44 Re: Blackberry [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
In the days before I had a mobile phone (before Empeg), my boss once asked me for the phone number of my parents' house where I'd be spending Christmas. I gave him the number, but I also said outright, "You don't pay me enough to ring this number."

Peter

#309954 - 08/05/2008 19:46 Re: Blackberry [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You all must be very secure in your jobs or in your ability to find a new one.

#309960 - 08/05/2008 20:46 Re: Blackberry [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
To be honest, a lot of it is probably the stronger employment legislation in the UK (and AFAIK the rest of Europe) as compared to that in the US. For instance, an employee sacked for refusing work outside his/her original contractual obligations can fight and win an unfair dismissal case. And in the particular case of working hours and being on-call, in most circumstances the employer has committed a criminal offence if they require more than 48 hours' work in a working week.

Peter

#309961 - 08/05/2008 20:46 Re: Blackberry [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

I wouldn't say that I'm that secure. I just know that they couldn't legally fire me over something like that. Heck, if it was that easy to get rid of someone, the team I manage would be down by one tomorrow.

To my knowledge the only way I could be fired would be fraud, deception or gross misconduct.

Andy M

#309962 - 08/05/2008 20:50 Re: Blackberry [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Oh. Wow. In the US, unless you're part of a union that has a contract with your employer, you can be fired outright for any reason at all. And many states don't allow those sorts of union contracts. (Edit: that's not entirely true, but that's the ultimate result of the laws involved. For more information, see Right-to-work law.) Salaried employees are not restricted as to the number of hours that they can be required to work, at least nothing as low as 48.

If you felt as if you were unfairly terminated, you can sue your former employer, but you've already lost your job and you'd better get on to finding a new one.

Edited by wfaulk (08/05/2008 20:55)

#309963 - 08/05/2008 20:58 Re: Blackberry [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

If I wanted to guarantee my exit from the company tomorrow I'd probably have to go and punch the CEO in the face. Not that I would as he's quite a nice bloke.... and also the fact he could probably pop my head with his bare hands.

Everything else would go though the whole verbal, written 3 strikes you're out thing.

Andy M

#309964 - 08/05/2008 21:04 Re: Blackberry [Re: andym]
andym
carpal tunnel

Also, on a technical note. we're encouraged to set the connection schedule on the handsets to disconnect over night to save on unnecessary data costs!

Andy M

#309971 - 09/05/2008 02:42 Re: Blackberry [Re: wfaulk]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
I do freelance IT work these days. My blackberry is my business lifeline.

Back to the original question (with OTA links) for the ones I use daily. (I find some links work best if I don't have the built-in browser set to IE emulation.)

The free ones:

beyond 411 - fabulous (and fast) localized yellow pages. Set up Home, Work, and Other locations. Remembers all the Other locations you've used. If you look up an address, you can quickly set it to the Other slot.
http://thebogles.com/blog/projects/berry411/

google maps - with traffic and GPS (or cell tower) auto-locating
www.google.com/gmm/

opera mini - does some things better than the built in browser, some worse. I routinely have both open.
www.operamini.com/download

The ones worth their small fees (trial versions available):

message alerts - customized alerts, by sender, time of day, etc. My clients can use a code to page with a true emergency at night. Anything else won't set it off. (I'm not sure how well supported it is since Apptix purchased it, though. It took me a week to get a new code when I replaced my blackberry.)
http://www.webmessenger.com/products/mablackberry.htm

pocketday - puts a summary of all your main info (new messages, missed calls, calendar, tasks, etc.) and a bit extra (weather, stocks, rss feeds) on the front screen. Very customizable.
http://www.crossriversystems.com/pocketday_downloads.htm

empower mail viewer - html mail viewer. My blackberry only does text email.
http://www.mobihand.com/eidevices/download.asp?id=16058&pdid=518595

If I still worked for the company I was with, I'd have the remote connectivity tools, too.

Good discussion site here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/

-jk

Edited by jmwking (09/05/2008 02:42)

#309972 - 09/05/2008 04:55 Re: Blackberry [Re: peter]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally Posted By: peter
...in most circumstances the employer has committed a criminal offence if they require more than 48 hours' work in a working week.

Peter

The week I work less than 48 hours will be the first in a lot of years. Typical weeks in this part of professional services are up above 65. And guess what, we don't get overtime or on-call pay.

I am happy to check my work email before going to bed, and even reasonably having a blackberry. I just don't want to have to pay for it - it doesn't give me any benefits, so if it is worth something to my employer for me to have it, they should pay.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#309974 - 09/05/2008 08:07 Re: Blackberry [Re: frog51]
andym
carpal tunnel

Well I hope they pay you well. I certainly wouldn't do 65 hours a week with the salary I'm on.

Andy M

#310024 - 09/05/2008 16:25 Re: Blackberry [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

I just refuse to be a limp dishrag.

Saying "no" to your employer is a pretty tough skill to learn, but it's invaluable. For example, I've said things like "I have a prior commitment that I have to follow through on tonight, and won't be able to stay late. I talked to Joe, and he said that he has other things he can work on until I can get this fixed tomorrow." It's none of my employer's business that my commitment is just going home to have dinner with my wife, or to go play hockey.

Or, perhaps something like "If you're now requiring me to carry a phone, it feels like the job requirements, and your expectations of my duties have changed. If that's the case, we need to review my compensation package, to ensure it's still fair considering these new expectations. If not, then I need to make it clear that outside of my regular work hours, I'll be turning the cell phone off."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >