Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#321165 - 07/04/2009 15:55 We're sorry...
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

If you're continually receiving this error, you may be able to resolve the problem by deleting your Google cookie and revisiting Google. For browser-specific instructions, please consult your browser's online support center.

If your entire network is affected, more information is available in the Google Web Search Help Center.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.

Has anyone else seen this while using any of Google's services? For the past week, I've been able to use Google Reader on my netbook for a total of about 20 minutes, then it stops loading, and if I refresh I get the above error. After that, any attempts to load the page gets that error again. It does not let me in again for about a day on that computer, but I can access it on other computers. Curiously, I can ALSO access it on my netbook if I switch to a different browser. But Firefox displays Google Reader the best, particularly when using Better GReader to hide the unnecessary space.

I've tried searching for an answer, and all I found were a bunch of other frustrated people with no answers. Most said that they were seeing captha's to let them through, but I haven't seen a single one until just a couple moments ago, but when I filled it out and submitted it, I just got the above error again.

I've also tried disabling all my addons and browsing the reader in Firefox, and I still got the error.

Any ideas? This is very frustrating. I'm a Google Reader addict and I need my fix!

#321166 - 07/04/2009 15:59 Re: We're sorry... [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Do you have a bookmark, maybe with some specific options in the URL? If so, try navigating to it through links instead.

#321174 - 07/04/2009 16:47 Re: We're sorry... [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I've seen messages like this, on rare occasions, while using the standard Google web search, but never with Reader, and I use Reader all the time.

I definitely like the idea of going in and nuking all your Google cookies and trying again.

#321184 - 07/04/2009 18:20 Re: We're sorry... [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I don't know if it was one of your suggestions or the other or a combination of the two, but I just tried both and it works! I've changed the url my shortcut uses, and I deleted all my cookies just to be sure, and I'm able to get back in now. That's a relief! I'd go crazy without my Google Reader smile

Thanks to both of you for your help.

#321187 - 07/04/2009 18:35 Re: We're sorry... [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

What the hell, Google?

Once again, I was using Google Reader for about 20 minutes, and all of a sudden I could no longer load my feeds and I got the error again.

#321189 - 07/04/2009 19:29 Re: We're sorry... [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Hmm... maybe you're going through some kind of transparent proxy that's fubaring things for you. Try switching from http to https and see if that makes a difference.

#321193 - 07/04/2009 20:39 Re: We're sorry... [Re: DWallach]
StigOE
addict

Either it's the proxy that I have to go through or Google have a problem because now I also get this error message, but I get it when I'm using Google's translating service, not Google Reader (which I've never used, just read about it just now). And I've tried to delete all Google cookies.

#321335 - 11/04/2009 16:54 Re: We're sorry... [Re: DWallach]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Originally Posted By: DWallach
Hmm... maybe you're going through some kind of transparent proxy that's fubaring things for you. Try switching from http to https and see if that makes a difference.

I had never seen that until recently at work, when the computer security geeks got serious about filtering access to "bad" internet sites.

#321348 - 12/04/2009 11:32 Re: We're sorry... [Re: gbeer]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'm pretty sure I figured out what was causing it.

I tend to email a ton of articles from Google Reader to my wife, and I think Google was seeing this as spam. On days when I don't send more than 4 or 5 articles to her, I don't get this error. When I send about 20 in a day, I start getting it.

Frankly, if this is the case, then that's stupid. If Google is smart enough to detect that and block me, they should also be smart enough to know that I'm sending 20 things to a person with the same last name as me, through a 5 year old Google account. Besides, that has to be the most inefficient method of spamming I've ever heard of.

Anyway, this appears to be the case for me. I have no idea why it would happen in the translator.

From what I was able to research about this, it looks like people are getting it more and more frequently, but Google is silent about why it happens.

#321349 - 12/04/2009 11:40 Re: We're sorry... [Re: Dignan]
StigOE
addict

Originally Posted By: Dignan
I have no idea why it would happen in the translator.

It only happened that single day (and only after I read about Google Reader...). Worked as it should the next day and haven't seen it since.

Stig

#321386 - 14/04/2009 00:58 Re: We're sorry... [Re: Dignan]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Originally Posted By: Dignan

Frankly, if this is the case, then that's stupid. If Google is smart enough to detect that and block me, they should also be smart enough to know that I'm sending 20 things to a person with the same last name as me, through a 5 year old Google account. Besides, that has to be the most inefficient method of spamming I've ever heard of.

When we started using Google Apps, GMail used to filter the odd message from my colleague into the spam folder. This was a message sent to/from the same domain, using the secure SMTP login!