Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 14 of 16 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#290351 - 05/03/2007 15:34 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
tman
carpal tunnel

Eh? The Wiimote is hard to find? There are piles of the things everywhere here. What is impossible to get is the Wii Play pack. The Classic Controller is kinda hard to find in shops as well but you can mail order that.

#290352 - 05/03/2007 15:41 Re: Wii [Re: tman]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
What is impossible to get is the Wii Play pack.
I ordered mine online. But if you can't get it, it isn't such a big loss unless you have children who are easily entertained. For an adult It's pretty much worth exactly the $10 you pay for it (since it comes with the $40 remote). My nephew, however, has played it more than any other game thus far, including Elebits.

#290353 - 05/03/2007 15:46 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
visuvius
addict

My wife bought me the Nyko charger for my birthday. The thing is pretty sweet. It comes with two battery packs and two replacement battery covers. The wiimotes slip right in. If you guys use your Wii a lot, its definitely a good investment.

I didn't really feel like the battery pack/cover changed the way the controller felt, aside from the rubber on the cover which is actually pretty nice.

#290354 - 05/03/2007 16:32 Re: Wii [Re: visuvius]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Cool, ordering one now.

P.S. Happy birthday!

#290355 - 05/03/2007 18:53 Re: Wii [Re: visuvius]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
My wife bought me the Nyko charger for my birthday. The thing is pretty sweet. It comes with two battery packs and two replacement battery covers. The wiimotes slip right in. If you guys use your Wii a lot, its definitely a good investment.

I didn't really feel like the battery pack/cover changed the way the controller felt, aside from the rubber on the cover which is actually pretty nice.

Ah-HA! See? Someone already has it!

The main reason I want the classic controller is for Super Mario World. It's extremely frustrating to play with the Wavebird.

#290356 - 06/03/2007 11:54 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Have any of you Wii owners had a hard time getting classic controllers?

All accessories around here are kind of hard to get. I got lucky though, and pre-orded a remote and nunchuk controller even though I didn't get on that list for a Wii. I had the games and accessories before I had the system

I ordered my Classic Controllers from Amazon. They are listed as being in stock right now, as well as part of Amazon Prime. If you can't find them locally, it is worth not dealing with the frustration to just order them somewhere online.

#290357 - 06/03/2007 12:44 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Just an update on SSX Blur- Apparently this is one of those "let it sit for a day" kind of things, because I played for a couple of hours last night and the entire control system worked perfectly. I had a blast and had no issues with tricks or landing. Also, I tried the slalom tracks and they work great with the new control scheme (the weaving back and forth feels nice moving the controller rather than pushing a stick). So if you're a fan of the SSX series, definitely worth getting if you're willing to put in a little effort on the front end.

#290358 - 06/03/2007 13:35 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
The next time you have an issue check the sensitivity of the remote in the prefs. Make sure movement is not jumpy. One night playing Wii Sports everything just started going nuts and I had to make adjustments to the remote settings to make everything playable again.

Bruno

#290359 - 06/03/2007 13:44 Re: Wii [Re: tonyc]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

In a sad turn of events, my Wii can no longer connect to the Internets. The error I get when trying the connection test is code 51130. Some Googling suggested changing the network to mixed B+G mode helps, but for me, it has not.

Here are the other things I've since tried to remedy this problem, all to no avail:
- Power cycled the router (several times)
- Changed wireless channel (was 1 before when things were working, also tried 6 and 11)
- Disabled wireless MAC filter (Wii's MAC was in the allow list prior to that)
- Completely disabled security
- Manual IP/DNS settings on the Wii instead of DHCP
- Flashed router with OpenWRT firmware (instead of Tomato)
- Changed the MTU on the Wii from automatic to 1500 (1500 works fine on everything else on my network)

When the connection test runs, I see the Wii's MAC address show up in the router's "Device List" page, so I know the router can "see" the Wii. When trying to use DHCP, no DHCPREQUEST is shown in the router's syslog. All of my other wireless clients are okay, and can get a DHCP lease. The signal strength shown coming from the Wii's MAC address is very high.

Feeling like I tried everything, I tried to jump on an open wifi network in my neighborhood (albeit one with a low signal strength for me) and still didn't find happiness. That could be because the signal isn't strong enough, though.

My next move is to drag the Wii over to my girlfriend's house and see if it likes the network there. After that, I guess I'm stuck calling Nintendo support and dealing with the invariable "is the router on? is the wii on?" line of questioning. So, I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone's run into / heard of any wifi problems, or has any idea how I can go about troubleshooting this further without dealing with support.

#290360 - 06/03/2007 14:40 Re: Wii [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I have no idea what the issue may be, but I just tried mine and everything is running as expected (also using Tomato on my WRT54GL).

Twice before I've seen network connection errors, but simply trying the feature again allowed the connection to go through. Not sure what the reported numbers were in each case.

Let us know how the call to Nintendo goes if the problem doesn't mysteriously disappear on its own. I still have to call them to get my unit replaced due to the permanent graphics glitches.

Bruno

#290361 - 06/03/2007 14:47 Re: Wii [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Interesting. I was having nothing but problems with my connectivity before. I simply could not connect to the online store, and all the internet-related channels were either terribly slow or refused to connect. Then I switched to channel 1, and everything works perfectly now.

I have a question for everyone:

I seem to be doing something wrong in Wii Sports: Boxing. Everyone raves about how great that game is, but it frustrates the hell out of me. It just seems to me that my motions are simply not getting recognized. I feel like I'm just swinging wildly and every other time it'll actually do what I'm doing. Half the time I'm punching with my right and it'll punch with the left.

Maybe I'm holding the controllers wrong. The diagram shows to hold them straight up and down, doesn't it? Is that right?

#290362 - 06/03/2007 15:18 Re: Wii [Re: tonyc]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Maybe you should try using a wired connection. A friend of my is using a USB network adpater to connect his Wii to the network.

#290363 - 06/03/2007 17:31 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

If you want to win at boxing, just hold the controllers as instructed and shake them vigorously non-stop until you have defeated your opponent. That's the technique that works for my brother's fiance.

Bruno

#290364 - 06/03/2007 17:34 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I did a couple of the training exercises for Boxing, and what I found is that really getting into it (JUMPING left and right, not just shifting) works out well. I never had it miss-read anything while doing that. Not the blocking, dodging, or punching. Of course, to this sit-on-my-butt-all-day-programmer, about 15 minutes enough to make me almost throw up, so I haven't touched it since. Yup, I'm THAT lazy

However, I did watch my brother-in-law and a friend of his play and they were insane, jumping back and forth and really slugging it out. I was exhausted just watching. When I get a chance I'll probably revisit boxing, as it seems I would be much healthier if I played it more

Right now, though, SSX and finishing Zelda are more my speed (I've gotten to the castle finally, and gotten almost all of the heart pieces).

#290365 - 07/03/2007 11:30 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Most of the reviews complained about Ubers being hard to pull off

I'm with the reviewers 100% here. I got the game last night, and started with the tutorial mode. I breezed my way through every tutorial with no problem at all. I was quite pleased that everything was so easy to do with the new control scheme.

Then I got to the ubers. I played the uber tutorial at least THIRTY TIMES before I lucked out and pulled off the two ubers that the tutorial asked for. To be fair, for a small portion of that I was forgetting to let go of the A button after I did the motion for the ubers. The things that frustrated me to no end is that it seemed that I didn't have enough time to make the motions, and it maybe understood my motions about 10% of the time. Most of the time, I would try to do the trick and the motion of the uber would pull off another trick.

For example, the hardest one to pull off in the tutorial was the one that looks like a little knot, where you make two loops. First of all, the icon is too small to be able to tell where I'm supposed to begin the motion, but also the motion you have to make requires you to move the wiimote sideways twice, and this just causes me to do a spin.

ARGH! Seriously, this is REALLY frustrating.

Aside from that, though, I really like the game. I loved SSX3 (didn't like SSX On Tour so much), so I'm glad that it's more similar to that game. As frustrating as it can be at times, I'm looking forward to getting used to the controls.

#290366 - 07/03/2007 13:28 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Let me assure you, it DEFINITELY gets easier with practice. I blazed through peak 2 without any issues.

Regarding Ubers- I was able to do the "heart" Uber almost instantly, and I can do the other three easily now. Certainly holding and releasing the "A" button is crucial to this, as is not rushing the motions. When you rush it is easy to make horizontal lines crooked etc.

I don't know if you know this already, but there is a way to practice drawing the Ubers. Hit the "+" button, select "Ubers" and then the one you want to practice. This was actually how I figured out what we were supposed to be doing with the "double loop" Uber, as I couldn't make it out from the tiny drawing (when you select it from the menu, the drawing is a lot bigger).

Quote:
and it maybe understood my motions about 10% of the time.
I just want to mention that I don't think this is a hardware problem of the Wii not understanding the motions as a couple of the reviews semi-suggested. I have gotten close to 90% when I'm focused, so the issue isn't doing it correctly and not being detected. I only mention this because the thought of doing it correctly and still having the system ignore it is very frustrating, but knowing that they CAN be pulled off consistently is encouraging.

Also, I figured out the trick to slalom- make wide passes around the flags- don't try to breeze past them tightly. If you go wide left and then wide right then you'll use your momentum going sideways rather than forward.

Edited by JeffS (07/03/2007 13:34)

#290367 - 07/03/2007 13:40 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
there is a way to practice drawing the Ubers

Are the ubers based on IR or motion control?

#290368 - 07/03/2007 13:58 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Are the ubers based on IR or motion control?
I'd guess motion control because

a) sometimes the nunchuck is invovled
b) you can "draw" them with the remote tilted however you like

#290369 - 07/03/2007 14:47 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

How exaggerated would you say your motions have to be?

#290370 - 07/03/2007 19:34 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Actually, I've found they really don't. For example, the single circle that you make going right to left- I've made really big circles and really small ones and both worked. More important it seems is pressing the button before I start and letting go when I'm done, and not getting anything else in the mix while I'm doing it. I think there's a tendency to let go too quickly, right near the end of the pattern, in order to get it to register quickly.

The heart is the easiest if you just remember to go up as your first movement. I've watched friends mess it up, and mostly it's because they tend to try and make a circle rather than a heart, going out instead of up as their first movement, and this never works. However, I've almost never failed this one if I remember to go up first.

#290371 - 07/03/2007 19:49 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Cool, thanks for all the tips. I predict quite a few hours of SSX in my house tonight.

One more thing: would you say that you tend to move the whole Wiimote to make the motions, or is it more like you're drawing, so the front tip is moving more than the back? Did I explain that okay? I think I'm doing the latter, and it seems like that's not the way to do it...

#290372 - 07/03/2007 20:06 Re: Wii [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
One more thing: would you say that you tend to move the whole Wiimote to make the motions, or is it more like you're drawing, so the front tip is moving more than the back?
I definitely move the whole remote. In fact, I have a tendency to start the "heart" with my hands turn inward and both the nunchuck and remote pointed straight up- I'll then tilt them out as I complete the heart. This method neither helps nor hinders, but it does feel more "artistic"

I hope this all helps- I'm not really certain I'm saying anything of value. It just kind of came naturally to me, so that's what I'm trying to describe. I must admit, it kind of sucks that playing the game normally would be something you'd have to get tips on. It sounds like my brother-in-law and I are fairly unique in getting them right off- I guess I should probably revise that part of my review

Edited by JeffS (07/03/2007 20:07)

#290373 - 07/03/2007 20:16 Re: Wii [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

No, I think my problem is just the ubers part. I think there's something that I'm just missing. I was also trying to pull those off while sitting back with a cat in my lap, so that could have been giving me trouble

In fact, I seemed to have the opposite reactions that you did. The ubers were insanely difficult to me, but everything else just came naturally and I really got into it! I didn't have any problems with the normal tricks, although I would agree that it doesn't feel as natural to stop a trick by pressing the A button. It felt much more natural to have to hold a control stick and have to maneuver yourself upright. Other than that and the ubers, I think the controls are really cool.

#290374 - 09/03/2007 03:40 Re: Wii [Re: tonyc]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Well, one more data point. Took the Wii over to my girlfriend's place and it couldn't connect to her network, either. So, I guess I'll be calling into Nintendo support soon. In the mean time, my fix for the problem was to plunk down the cash for the Wii LAN adapter, which I pretty much wanted to do anyway because I like to have devices wired wherever possible to keep the WLAN from being congested.

That being said, I'd still like to get the wireless working, and I'm pretty disappointed that it's not. I'm thrilled with everything else about the system and the games so far, though.

Anyone have Madden 2007 for Wii (or played it)? Comments? The reviews seem mostly positive but I thought I'd ask since there are quite a few Wii owners here.

#290375 - 09/03/2007 11:48 Re: Wii [Re: tonyc]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I have Madden 2007, and enjoy it. Keep in mind I don't know anything at all about football, it has been a goal of my roommate's to teach me football the last couple of years. Between the Cardinals and ASU, he loses heart and can't watch it halfway through the season, and I lose all retention

The controls are 'different' if you don't know football. If you do, they might be pretty easy to pick up, such as a stiff arm you stick your arm out. It's kind of hard to explain. I will say this, there is a learning curve. The first 2v2 we played as co-op, we lost something like 403-46. I was probably a huge handicap, but it was still pretty depressing Near the end of the game the strategy moved from 'try to win' to 'try to keep them under 400'. It was fun enough that it kept our interest.

#290376 - 10/03/2007 04:03 Re: Wii [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
While I'll admit that transcoding in advance is a pain, Wii Media Center X seems to work really well. The biggest problem (besides the transcoding) is that you use the Wii browser, and there's no way to get rid of the big nav bar.

#290377 - 10/03/2007 14:24 Re: Wii [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I've still got my fingers crossed that Nintendo will step up and first improve their photo viewer to support the network and then possibly add a video player (which I don't technically need, but it would be great for a lot of other people).

#290378 - 10/03/2007 14:29 Re: Wii [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I've still got my fingers crossed that Nintendo will step up and first improve their photo viewer to support the network and then possibly add a video player (which I don't technically need, but it would be great for a lot of other people).

I was actually quite surprised when I found that the Wii could play back the videos I took with my digitial camera.

Of course, that's not what you're talking about, but I thought it was cool anyway

#290379 - 10/03/2007 16:08 Re: Wii [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The photo player actually plays MJPEG movies.

#290380 - 10/03/2007 16:19 Re: Wii [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

That's cool but I don't shoot MJPEG movies. I'd like to browse my images from the network or Flickr in that UI. I've used it to browse from an SD card and thought it was pretty neat and usable. I'd also love to be able to set a sticky option for one or more of the adjustments you can make. I found that for some reason all the images I was viewing that day needed to be brightned to show up well. Like many other aspects of the Wii interface, it took a lot of clicks to get through that operation.

Bruno

Page 14 of 16 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 >