Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#326754 - 16/10/2009 19:39 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, Xmarks, for one, is available for Chrome, Safari, and IE, at least.

#326755 - 17/10/2009 00:52 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I'm assuming you don't load all of those all the time, otherwise your FF startup time must be way long.

#326756 - 17/10/2009 11:56 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: gbeer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I load all of them all the time. Ignoring the time to reload all the saved open tabs, Firefox starts in about 12 seconds.

#326811 - 19/10/2009 12:08 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
Folsom

Loc: Atlanta
wfaulk, do you have a list of all your greasemonkey scripts?

#326812 - 19/10/2009 12:15 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: Folsom]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't have anything that's universal. Most of it is saved Platypus modifications. Other than that:
  • Homestar All-In-One
  • (New) Gmail Bottom Posting
  • Experts Exchange Filter
  • YousableTubeFix
  • Boxoh Links
  • SOFU links in new tab
  • SOFUread
(Warning, those last three are ones I wrote.)

I may have others installed at home.

Those are all on userscripts.org.

#327654 - 19/11/2009 03:46 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
i'm giving Firefox 3.6beta-something a try in Mac OS 10.6.2. There's a lot to like about the newer versions, including the much faster startup speeds. Unfortunately it still looks like turd compared to Safari. Which I'm hoping I can change.

I'd rather not use a third-party theme since they all invariably screw something up. The default theme, Firelight, seems to be the best overall, but I'd really like to lighten up a few of its background images. Can anyone tell me how I can accomplish this? Basically I just need a pointer to where the graphic files are located or how to access them if they're packaged somewhere.

I'm going to give it an honest shot by checking out a lot of the plugins mentioned in this thread - at least the ones I thought sounded interesting when you guys mentioned them.

I gave Firebug a quick spin a little while ago and.... Wow. I didn't know what I was missing. I love the interactivity, it's even better than the X-Ray mode of CSS-Edit in many ways. This could be a real time and hair saver when working on pages.

Does anyone know if there's a plugin to move the Find bar to the top of the window instead of at the bottom where it is now?

Thankfully, my favorite password manager, 1Password works just as well in Firefox as it does in Safari. I think it would be a complete non-starter for me if it didn't.

#327655 - 19/11/2009 04:11 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Oh, one more thing... I also really need to change the default drop down menu style in Firefox. Currently it shows a smallish list with a scroll bar. I'd like a style as similar as possible to that of Mac OS, where the list is long and without scroll bar. You simply move the mouse up or down to scroll the list or type into it to select.

#327664 - 19/11/2009 13:18 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Creating a Skin for Firefox

You should be able to move the findbar by modifying userChrome.css, but I can't immediately figure it out.

#327666 - 19/11/2009 13:34 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Firefox/Gecko doesn't use Cocoa UI elements. As such, that sort of stuff would be in a theme, if it's even accessible there; I don't know that it is.

#327668 - 19/11/2009 14:11 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Firefox/Gecko doesn't use Cocoa UI elements. As such, that sort of stuff would be in a theme, if it's even accessible there; I don't know that it is.

Exactly, I'm hoping it can be customized. I'm pretty sure it can be because I've seen that some themes cause the drop-down menus to look different. Currently, the pop-up menus, namely contextual ones, look fine, rounded corners and all. This is a pretty big stumbling block for me and it surprises the hell out of me that Mozilla would not have addressed this by now.

EDIT: That link confirms what I'm talking about. That al the Mac OS-like elements in Firefox are custom. Which is exactly why I have to scratch my head when I look at the drop-down menus. They took the time to make custom look-alike versions of so much else but not those?

It's a shame because every third-party Mac OS theme is less Mac OS like than Firefox's default theme. Frankly they all suck pretty bad and really make FF look much much worse than default by breaking so many controls.

So far I can't even find the png files that control the look of the button/address/title bar. I modified ones I thought were the right files but no dice. I can't spend much time on this, so I suppose I'll just put this on the shelf until Firefox 3.7 to see if they've done anything to fix the glaring issues. Firefox will be a complete non-starter unless the drop-down menus can be addressed, regardless of what other benefits any plugins might have.

#327695 - 21/11/2009 01:32 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

After discovering that the majority of the initial plugins I'd need to install would be solely to try and bring Firefox to Safari's level, I was pretty much ready to give up. The final nail in the coffin is simply that it's slower at pretty much everything than Safari. Javascript, plain HTML page loads and rendering. So I'll just have to take a look again at 3.7. I know they're working on the speed issues, I just hope someone starts to take the Mac platform more seriously. It's not difficult at all to make the necessary artwork to match the typical Mac look and feel.

#327704 - 21/11/2009 17:05 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

One difference between FF and Safari I've noticed - the three finger drag up/down gesture doesn't seem to work for Safari. In FF it's a jump to top or bottom of page.

#327707 - 21/11/2009 21:53 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: gbeer]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

That's a very handy gesture. Unfortunately, up until this point, the only multi-touch I use is two fingers to scroll the page and two fingers plus click for right-click. The same stuff I used with my PowerBook in fact.

I just haven't gotten used to the other stuff to use it much. I can't stand the pinch for zooming nor the two finger rotate in the apps that implement them. Too touchy and impossible to easily set the views back to their defaults. In Photoshop this is really problematic. In Safari and Mail it's just asinine - especially in Mail since there's no "100%" or "default" view to get back to in any way shape or form. I'm running a hack to disable the zoom in both those apps.

#327709 - 22/11/2009 00:02 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Safari not having that jump to top/bottom is stopping me from migrating.

Nor have I figured out how to open a sidebar with bookmarks in Safari.

#336838 - 07/09/2010 18:17 Re: Firefox Extensions [Re: wfaulk]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
I found a nifty extension that works well for my tablet- where I don't have a mouse and scroll wheel.
It's called Grab and Drag
Quote:
Enables Adobe Acrobat-style grab and drag scrolling, Flick gestures, and Momentum scrolling in Firefox, Thunderbird, and Flock. Especially useful for Tablet PCs, UMPCs, and other pen or touchscreen devices.

Nice! Win7 also has 'flicks' to configure for system-wide use.

Oh- and a biggie I just fixed was blocking http://s7.addthis.com
with adblock+. That gets rid of the nasty pop-up-and-block-content action of 'share this' links on pages. Freedom!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3