Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3274 - 14/10/1999 23:32 USB-hub and Win98
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
I decided to get myself a USB-hub to connect with the empeg without having to unplug the scanner all the time (at least daily lately ), but I can't get it to work .

When I connect the hub with the PC (power is applied to the hub too), Windows discovers a new (unknown) device and decides it needs a new driver. However, it is unable to find one on the Win98 CD-ROM. When I connect the empeg via the hub anyhow, emplode can no longer find the empeg player; the scanner too cannot be found when connected through the USBbox. Direct USB connects work without any problem.

Do I have a faulty hub, or does Windows really need an additional driver?
If so, where could I find one?

Henno

#3275 - 15/10/1999 00:32 Re: USB-hub and Win98 [Re: Henno]
Nils

Loc: Germany
Hi !
I cannot put this as a general answer, i only tried 2 different 1 -> 4 USB Hubs, but both of them were immediatly recognized as HUBs and i never needed additional drivers ...
I do not think that your HUB is neccessarily broken, but maybe it is 100% meant for Mac Usage and acts stupid on a PC's USB Port ...

Nils

#3276 - 15/10/1999 02:05 Re: USB-hub and Win98 [Re: Henno]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Do I have a faulty hub, or does Windows really need an additional driver?

All the hubs I've come across work with the standard Windows driver. Are you sure you pointed it to the right place on the CDROM?

Mind you, there's no reason why a hub can't contain extra bits and pieces that would make it require a custom driver. If this is the case then it should probably come with a driver.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#3277 - 15/10/1999 09:20 Re: USB-hub and Win98 [Re: Nils]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Do you mean that Macs and PC's talk different flavors of USB ??
The hub (1 --> 4) that I've got is definitely meant for a Mac then; transparent bottom half and Mac-green top!

Can anyone confirm that Mac USB's are incompatible with PC-USBs ??
Henno

#3278 - 15/10/1999 10:35 Re: USB-hub and Win98 [Re: Henno]
Nils

Loc: Germany
Hmmm that is exactly like mine looks .. is the Type on the bottom label:
UH-204 ??

:)

Well speaking of USB for Mac or PC, there (hopefully ) is just one flavour of USB, but you can construct USB devices the way that they are recognized correctly on both OS's or just on one or on no OS, if it is not recognized correctly, it needs special drivers ( or at least an inf file ) on WIN 9x ...
Maybe this is the case for your HUB, but ...
sounds silly, but why don't you ask at the place you bought it ?!

Nils