Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#328271 - 24/12/2009 18:33 Merry Christmas
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA

#328273 - 24/12/2009 19:22 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Adorable!

Much cuter than these creepy mall santa shots.

#328274 - 24/12/2009 20:00 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Laetificus Saturnalia.

#328278 - 25/12/2009 04:43 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Merry Christmas!

Any particular traditions people enjoy doing? My family wasn't feeling too festive this year, and didn't even get a tree, but we stuck to a few Christmas Eve traditions, mainly a couple movies* we watch on the night every year, and going to our church. Tomorrow night is the tradition of inviting our Jewish friends over for Christmas dinner (going on at least 20 years strong now smile ).

Anyway, it's a tough Christmas this year, but it's great to have friends and family. Hope you all have a great one!

*not sure if anyone else here has seen it, but I highly recommend the TV production of "A Child's Christmas in Wales." Denholm Elliot reads this story like no other. I could simply listen to the narration and feel an instant sense of calm.

#328284 - 25/12/2009 18:00 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: Dignan]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Merry Christmas all.

Strangely enough, none of the gifts this year use batteries.

#328289 - 27/12/2009 00:14 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: gbeer]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Happy day after Christmas.

Here in Minnesota we had a snow storm over the past few days. Everyone freaked out and canceled some the larger extended family get togethers. We still made it to the immediate family stuff though so it was probably better that way. Those extended family ones aren't all that fun anyway smile

Since getting married there is much more rushing around because we have to go more than one place in a day.

Also our poor Shih Tzu had to ride around in the are a lot which she doesn't like. She gets freaked out and pants the whole time she doesn't jump around just lays there and pants really heavy. (anyone have suggestions for helping with that smile )

Matt

#328290 - 27/12/2009 21:27 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

So, did anyone get anything especially good for Christmas? From my wife: some great graphic novel collections (the first 3 hardcovers of Powers and the trade paperback of I Kill Giants) and an IOU for the sold-out FitBit, among other things. From mom, a shiny Zune HD and Zune Pass.

The Zune's interface is simply gorgeous. It's going to take quite a bit of time to work out some of the UI quirks, but when it looks that pretty I don't mind spending some time with it.

And if you haven't checked out Powers (and you like comics), please do. I know it's not exactly unknown, but I still try to bring it to folks' attention. It's currently tied with Y the Last Man for me as my favorite comic. And please check out I Kill Giants. It moved me quite a bit reading it, particularly with the year I've had. It's a little gem of a book.

#328298 - 28/12/2009 07:13 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: Dignan]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
If you didn't already know, Powers is being made into a TV show.
ricin.us

#328299 - 28/12/2009 12:05 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
So, did anyone get anything especially good for Christmas?

I got a Chumby One.

#328301 - 28/12/2009 14:09 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: ricin]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: ricin
If you didn't already know, Powers is being made into a TV show.

I was aware, but didn't know about the showrunner. I loved Journeyman.

#328306 - 28/12/2009 18:06 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Here's a cut and paste from my Livejournal about an inexpensive thing that made me very happy:

We're all sitting around the TV, watching "Die Hard" because Seanan hadn't ever seen it. Plus, it's a Christmas movie. A completely different kind of Christmas movie than Grinch or Wonderful Life, but a Christmas movie nonetheless. Plus, Alan Rickman. You can't go wrong with Alan Rickman. (Side note: We all want a sweatshirt now.)

So we're watching it from a DVD, which is playing on the Playstation 3. The PS3 is great for watching DVDs in terms of sound and picture quality, but the pain of having to use the PS3 game controller to pause or rewind a DVD is nearly unbearable. When you pick up the controller, it's either already powered itself off to save battery charge, or you accidentally bump one of its soft finger triggers and inadvertently skip forward a chapter.

We've got a fantastic universal remote, but the Playstation doesn't have an infrared transceiver, so you can't use the remote with it. Each time someone curses at the PS3 controller, I have to explain that I need to get the proper "doohickey" (technical term) that lets me control the PS3 videos with the remote.

So Vixy takes a present out from under the tree and makes me open it, despite my protests that it's two days early, since we're not doing presents until Tuesday. And what do you know, it was an honest to goodness doohickey!

After industrial-lasering the blister packaging open, I was worried about having to interrupt the playback of Die Hard to make the doohickey work. I figured it would need some kind of setup or configuration. But the amazing thing is, I plugged it in during the movie and it just worked. Plug in the doohickey, and suddenly I can pause and unpause the movie in progress without touching the game controller. That's what amazed me: A tech gadget that actually Just Worked Exactly Like You'd Expect It To. No rebooting the console, no having configure it via setup menus, nothing. Just plug it in, and poof it works. Now that's a good OOBE. (We're going to disregard for a moment that a better OOBE would have been for the PS3 to have had an IR transcever built-in in the first place.)

A few prods at the Universal remote, and now that works, too. The Nyko's only drawback seems to be the lack of a dedicated power button for turning the console on and off, but I don't think that's their fault, the doohickey probably just emulates a game controller, which doesn't have a dedicated button for that purpose either (you have to select a menu option, i.e., multiple keystrokes, to turn off the console from the game controller).

#328308 - 28/12/2009 18:34 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: tfabris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
So are you using the Nyko remote or did you just get it for the dongle and use a universal remote ?

One of the things I got was an official sony ps3 remote. The only thing I don't like is I can't run the TV volume. Yeah I know it's using bluetooth for the ps3 but that doesn't mean they can't also put an IR transmitter on the remote so it could run my TV.

There were many movies give to various people but the one we ended up watching was Caddyshack when two people said they had never seen it.

My wife got the laptop from dell that I didn't think would make it Link . On the 24th I got an email from Dell saying it has shipped and would arrive on the 16th yikes !

Matt

#328315 - 28/12/2009 19:45 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I got a Schmartz IR500 instead. It does require that you do some very minor setup — the same that you'd have to do if you got an official Sony remote — but not needing to waste one of the PS3's USB ports, and not having a big dongle hanging off it either, is nice.

It's basically just an IR-to-Bluetooth bridge. You can power it off of an AC adapter or from a USB port, though not the PS3's USB port, as it's turned off when it's off. I have it powered from one of the useless USB ports on the back of my TiVo. And it's thin enough that it sits between the feet of my AV receiver, so it's virtually invisible.

It also has a macro built in to turn the PS3 off. It just takes one IR code to activate it, so you don't have to point your remote at the thing for liek 20 seconds while it does all of its stuff.

I'd highly recommend it. It's only drawback is its price.

#328316 - 28/12/2009 20:13 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: msaeger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: msaeger
So are you using the Nyko remote or did you just get it for the dongle and use a universal remote ?

The latter. Yeah, if I hadn't cared about the IR universal remote, I could have just used the PS3 bluetooth remote. But making full use of the universal remote is important to me, and to the other members of my household who all need to be able to use the dozens of pieces of gear hooked up to the TV set.

Quote:
I got a Schmartz IR500 instead.

Nifty device. The built-in macro for shutting down the PS3 is a great idea. I might be able to accomplish the same task in my universal remote's programming features, I'm going to give that a try tonight.

#328324 - 29/12/2009 06:14 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I opted for the official Sony bluetooth DVD remote. I keep forgetting that it's bluetooth and I always point it at the PS3, though :-)

When I finally get around to getting a proper home cinema setup, I'll have to deal with the universal remote implications, though.

Oh, and you can shut down the PS3 by holding the 'PS' button until the menu appears. Shutdown System is one of the options on there, then press X to select Yes. You should be able to set up an Off macro easily enough, surely?

#328325 - 29/12/2009 17:22 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roger
Oh, and you can shut down the PS3 by holding the 'PS' button until the menu appears. Shutdown System is one of the options on there, then press X to select Yes. You should be able to set up an Off macro easily enough, surely?

Is it always that way, even if two game controllers are powered on?

I've seen that "hold the PS button" menu look different (and require different keystrokes) depending on what's happening on the system at the time and where you are in the menu structure (are you playing a game, playing a DVD, etc.)

But yes, it's my intent to create an off macro, I just need to make sure I'm taking everything into account when I do it.

#328326 - 29/12/2009 17:41 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

It's always the same button combo to power off the system. The menu adds new choices at the bottom depending on if the system is in a game or other conditions, but the top two are always the same.

#328327 - 29/12/2009 18:21 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

That's not the way I remember it. Are you sure?

I could swear that sometimes "Turn off the system" is the top highlighted choice, and sometimes "Turn off the system" is the third item down and you have to joystick-down a couple times to reach it.

I may be remembering it wrong...

#328329 - 29/12/2009 19:10 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: hybrid8]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
(belated) Merry Christmas and "Joyful Season's Greetings" to all the empeg brethren!

The geekiest (or 'techiest'?) thing I received was a thumb drive.

It was a very simple celebration- quite welcome.
Good friends and a lot of family around.

#328339 - 29/12/2009 21:47 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: Dignan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR

An Arduino Nano v3.0, with which I intend to (finally) do something about this.

#328342 - 29/12/2009 22:15 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I was too busy working to ever give anyone any hints, or even update my Amazon Wishlist (which, BTW, will now allow you to include products from other web sites). As such, I only got one "real" present: a Shun Nakiri knife, which I had mentioned to my wife previously, but had forgotten about. It's a very nice knife. Despite its profile, it's very thin and is actually a vegetable knife, though it works well for boneless meats. It's definitely not a cleaver, though.

If anyone is in the market for nice kitchen knives, I wholeheartedly recommend Shun. They are incredibly sharp. I have a small set of Henckels knives and if I had it to do over again, I would definitely get the Shuns. I definitely need to get the old knives sharpened now.

Edited by wfaulk (29/12/2009 22:16)

#328345 - 29/12/2009 23:10 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Bookmarked. Thanks!

#328348 - 30/12/2009 07:41 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
If anyone is in the market for nice kitchen knives, I wholeheartedly recommend Shun. They are incredibly sharp. I have a small set of Henckels knives and if I had it to do over again, I would definitely get the Shuns. I definitely need to get the old knives sharpened now.

Have you tried a ceramic one? I got one for Christmas a couple of years ago, and it was sharper than any steel knife I've used, and still is. The first time I tried it, it cut an ordinary small tomato into forty slices, most of which were basically transparent.

You can't use them for anything that puts any twisting force on the blade (boning meat) because they aren't flexible like steel, but for straight-up-and-down slicing of vegetables, chicken fillets etc., I'd say they're definitely worth the rather high price.

Peter

#328349 - 30/12/2009 12:03 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: peter]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: peter
Have you tried a ceramic one? I got one for Christmas a couple of years ago, and it was sharper than any steel knife I've used, and still is.

Ooo, I've wanted one of those. That one looks quite nice, too. Is that the same Kyocera as the electronics company?

#328352 - 30/12/2009 12:25 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: peter]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
You can't use them for anything that puts any twisting force on the blade (boning meat) because they aren't flexible like steel

Do they break when a twisting cut is attempted?

#328353 - 30/12/2009 13:55 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: mlord]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Matt... Same Kyocera.

Mark... If you're looking for a good deal on Kyocera blades, check out HomeSense if you have one in your area - they frequently have a couple in stock at steep discounts.

For Americans... "HomeSense" is the "home" sales component of the store "Winners" which is the same store as "TJ Max" in the US.

#328354 - 30/12/2009 14:07 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Is that the same Kyocera as the electronics company?

Most of the large Japanese corporations produce a vast variety of products and have a lot of different departments or smaller companies under the overall corporate umbrella.

An example would be Panasonic make rice cookers along with high tech electronics like phones.

#328357 - 30/12/2009 15:51 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: mlord]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Originally Posted By: mlord
You can't use them for anything that puts any twisting force on the blade (boning meat) because they aren't flexible like steel

Do they break when a twisting cut is attempted?

Yes, they break. If you apply torque while the edge is cut into something then the blade will chip. I've chipped mine on butternut squash, even -- doesn't need to be bones or the like.

You need to use good knife skills with it, which I learned the hard way by chipping the crap out of mine. You can't resharpen it on your own, it needs to be sent to the manufacturer to be reground.

That said, it's a fantastic knife. They make a paring knife now for about $30 which is really great. I also just picked up a Kyocera vegetable peeler with the same ceramic blade technology. That is a perfect application, and it's the best peeler I've ever used.

The Shun knives are awesome. I got Melanie a Shun Bob Kramer chef's knife and it's just ridiculous.

I think it's really true that you only need 3 knives for cooking, so you're better off getting 3 super-high quality knives than a whole set of trash.

After my experience with both, I'd say get a Kyocera for your paring knife and stick with high-quality steel for the chef's knife.

Jim

#328358 - 30/12/2009 16:32 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Have you tried a ceramic one?

I have a ceramic jackknife that I mostly use when working around electricity or electronics. It is quite sharp, but it's ground to a relatively obtuse bevel, which makes it not so useful as a kitchen knife.

I'm certainly working on instinct, but it feels to me like a disposable product, which I hate. Yeah, I know, it's supposed to last for a long time, but any damage is likely to render it unrepairable, thus making it disposable.

#328359 - 30/12/2009 16:51 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: tman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The term you're looking for is keiretsu, or, in the case of Korean companies, chaebol. (I hang out with too many unabashed Japanophiles.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >