Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#333489 - 29/05/2010 20:16 Re: Lost Discussion (SPOILER ALERT) [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
It's not only improbable, but impossible for them to have been dead all along. Matt, you can tell anyone who says that to you that I said they're out to lunch:

1. Julliette wasn't on the plane.
2. Ben wasn't on the plane.
3. Penny wasn't on the plane.
4. Desmond wasn't on the plane.
5. Why would characters who were on the plane, die AGAIN? (Boone, Shanon, Jin, Sun, etc...)

Good points, of course, but, at the time I considered briefly the possibility that life on the island was already some sort of life after death, I was also assuming that people-not-on-the-plane, via Dharma Initiative which I did (and still don't) know much about, gained also access to that life-after-death dimension where all Oceanic 815 passengers had ended.
Yes, it was probably a big stretch, and that's why i found that unfit.

And then yes, dying a second time would have been "strange". Some "esotheric" traditions maintain that souls of dead people who don't accept death don't move ahead and live a life-after-death created by them as they themselves wish it to be - and this is also what happens in Lost, I think: many end up doing better the things they liked to do, others do completely different things to avoid mistakes, othters do whatever they feel like doing and has a meaning to them -. In that respect, dying again could have been "possible" as part of the life-fiction one decided to create for him/herslef.
However, a big stretch.

Quote:

I believe they gave a number of obvious nods in the final episode alone that confirmed that what had happened on the island was real. Including near the end where Ben and Hugo have the short exchange about being #1 and #2.

Yes, absolutely. As well as Christian Sheppard's words to Jack himself, in the church. He basically says it openly.

Quote:

Did you guys notice that while the church looked like a typical Christian church (inside and outside), the room Jack entered into where he talked to his father (who coincidentally is also named Christian smile ) was full of decorations/artifacts from a number of different world religions.

Indeed. Jack's father image in front of the colored-glass window seemed to be conceived to be very symbolic.

Quote:

While I also would have loved to have a few more elements revealed, I think it would have honestly taken twice as many episodes, if not three times to unravel them cleanly,

True, but I think that by reducing a bit chasing and shooting they could have explained quite more details. It would have been less action, definitely, and many would have probably found the show more boring.

Quote:

Maybe we'll see a story some day set in the Lost universe that will reveal everything else. Maybe a book.

I'd be happy with some special feature in the BD Super-Collection-Box that I am sure will be published at some point. smile

Edited by taym (29/05/2010 20:20)
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#333523 - 30/05/2010 23:48 Re: Lost Discussion (SPOILER ALERT) [Re: Taym]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Originally Posted By: taym

Quote:

Maybe we'll see a story some day set in the Lost universe that will reveal everything else. Maybe a book.

I'd be happy with some special feature in the BD Super-Collection-Box that I am sure will be published at some point. smile

Here are some details on collection box set and season 6 BD releases.

Also, there's this rumor.

Edited by ricin (30/05/2010 23:53)
ricin.us

#333524 - 30/05/2010 23:56 Re: Lost Discussion (SPOILER ALERT) [Re: ricin]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy

Quote:

•PLUS: A LOST Blu-ray & DVD exclusive – Go deeper into the world of LOST with a much-anticipated new chapter of the island’s story from Executive Producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse

I am soo buying this... Actually, I know I'll buy the whole collection box set. Thank you for the link!
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#334515 - 27/06/2010 15:36 Re: Lost Discussion (SPOILER ALERT) [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I finally just finished watching the last season of Lost. And felt like commenting.

I think the two of you hit on the most important part of the finale, and the show in general, but failed to realize it:

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
What's the motivation/reasoning behind some of the lives of the characters being completely upside down in this place compared to their reality, while others are very similar?

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Question: what did detonating the bomb do?

Things related to the existence of the island's inhabitants after the point when the bomb was either detonated or not affected the lives of the (future/would-be) Survivors. The most obvious of these is the crash of Oceanic 815.

We're shown a good number of other direct ones in the (further in the past than usual) flashbacks in the same episodes where the bomb is detonated, when Jacob appears to Sawyer at his parents' funeral, to Kate as she tries to steal a lunchbox, etc.

Then there are other, indirect changes, like the fact that Ben didn't stay on the island very long, Juliet never went, etc. Then there are even more obtuse effects, like Daniel never had a chance to go to the island, enter the past there, and encounter his mother, so she never had the impetus to direct his life towards science and away from music.

This all makes the flash sideways a pretty straightforward alternate reality, which is why the finale pissed me off a little. Recasting it as a deathbed hallucination (a notable example of which Locke was seen reading at one point in the show) smacks of laziness.

That said, if Jack was dead, is the point at which he died the one shown in the island-based segment of the finale? Are you sure? He died in the same place he woke up in the first episode, and with Vincent running to him both times. How can we be sure that the entire series wasn't Jack's hallucination? Maybe Jack died in the nuclear explosion on the island instead, and the entire last season was false. I think I prefer that explanation.

Of course, these inconsistencies are probably intentional of the writers, and kind of remind me of a noted short story in which there are two possible sequences of events, both of which were impossible. Perhaps it is intended as an allusion to that theme. More overarchingly, I think that the writers intend for the audience, and not just the characters, to be caught in a "Man of Science; Man of Faith" dichotomy.

So while the finale pissed me off a little, I think it's compelling, and was probably intended to piss me, as a man of science, off.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2