Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#331050 - 15/03/2010 13:51 Re: CAPTCHA question - for fun [Re: frog51]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Originally Posted By: frog51
Never seen them as a problem - if I get one I can't figure out, I click for the next one.

I forgot to mention. In Safari I also don't see any button allowing me to choose "next" for a new rendering.

I'm not sure Google is on the tack to do anything that will make me think for a second that they have anyone employed with them, in any authoritative capacity, that knows anything about design. You've heard about their dilemma trying to pick a single shade of blue and the committee required for that right?

Can you imagine if Google had the load of baggage Microsoft has? Starting from a clean slate, Google has done a shite job with pretty much everything they've put their hands on. Except perhaps search. But even that's arguable to some degree.

#331053 - 15/03/2010 14:27 Re: CAPTCHA question - for fun [Re: hybrid8]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Except perhaps search.

Repeat after me: Google isn't a search company; they're a targeted advertising company.

#331056 - 15/03/2010 15:08 Re: CAPTCHA question - for fun [Re: Roger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

And a major source of ad revenue comes from targeting ads to search results. It's the search and indexing component they've done rather well. It's also the first thing they did. I've been using it since I believe a month after it went live.

But even in this respect I think they haven't innovated enough to provide settings allowing users to refine or better filter their results. It doesn't help when millions of people are out there trying to game their ranking system.

#331069 - 15/03/2010 23:36 Re: CAPTCHA question - for fun [Re: hybrid8]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I would say GMail is a pretty big success...

Yeah, it's missing a lot of "features" but it's terribly simple and useful and takes care of the spam issue for me with less effort on my part than any other solution I've found.

Also love the more or less instant searching of all my email. I used to fastidiously sort all my email into folders and create rules to do so automatically because it took outlook so long to search my email. Now it's simple and natural. I just never delete anything and when I want something old, I search for it and find it almost instantly.

#331070 - 16/03/2010 01:01 Re: CAPTCHA question - for fun [Re: JBjorgen]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

It's not that Google's software is necessarily missing features, it's just that it's generally designed and implemented poorly. Poorly can be non-intuitively, buggy, cumbersome, non-standards compliant, etc.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2