Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#33353 - 27/06/2001 00:41 This is now starting to get REALLY worrying
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
When the main technology developers start to do this, then you know that there is something wrong.

As to the reasons why Thomson CSF and Fraunhoffer should now start retroactive legal action, no idea - but it's starting to sound like the GIF fiasco all over again....

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#33354 - 27/06/2001 01:25 Re: This is now starting to get REALLY worrying [Re: schofiel]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Another classic case of what I have said a few times already. Millions being poured into protecting copyrights and soforth and not one organisation that sticks up for the users.

This type of tactic seems to be common use now. First you create a product, flood the market with it by literally handing it away as much as you can. Then when your product has established itself you send in the armies of lawyers and squeeze. Microsoft did it back when they were literally giving away copies of MS-Dos and Windows, the GIF fiasco is another example and Mp3 is going the same way. And each and every time the users in the end are the ones who are worse off.

Don't get me wrong, I believe strongly in protecting the revenue and livelyhood of people who program good software for a living. But this is defenitly not about that. This is about companies deliberatly creating these situations because they know that this is a much quicker way to generate large revenue then actually working up a product through conventional means in a competative arena.

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue & Red - 080000431

#33355 - 02/07/2001 00:21 Re: This is now starting to get REALLY worrying [Re: EngelenH]
Lemmy

Loc: Germany
so what... as if anyone would need to stick to mp3, all we need is the ability to play .ogg files on our empegs...

hugo, hear me?
or did I miss something...

bye
L

#33356 - 02/07/2001 02:25 Re: This is now starting to get REALLY worrying [Re: Lemmy]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Yes, OGG is currently implemented in a floating point solution. The StrongArm in the empeg has no fpu (floating point unit) and as such needs the NetWinder Floating Point Emulator V0.94.1 (c) 1998 Corel Computer Corp. ...

Doing OGG therefor would be quite unpractical performancewise. At least that is what Altman told me once (well this is how I interpreted and remembered it) when I asked the same question.

There was an independent group working on an integer implementation of OGG though, as it happens at the start of this thread I went out on the net looking for this independent effort but got lost before I found it. Hugo, could you point me (us) there ?

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue & Red - 080000431

#33357 - 02/07/2001 08:26 Re: This is now starting to get REALLY worrying [Re: EngelenH]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
There is an ARM integer OGG codec, done by the Ogg team themselves. However, they're not releasing it (or havn't so far) as open source (they don't need to, as the original creators of the code - unlike if anyone else had to do it).

This has been around for ~6 months as far as I know, and runs just fine on a 74MHz cirrus cpu, so definitely no problem on a strongarm.

Hugo

#33358 - 02/07/2001 10:58 Re: This is now starting to get REALLY worrying [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So, are you in contact with the Ogg people about licensing their ARM binary for the Empeg Car, the Rio Receiver, and all those other nifty products we heard about in that interview?