Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#335640 - 30/07/2010 00:42 Re: Apple's touchpad update today [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Well, it's definitely a large trackpad, thats for sure. I'll be taking it to work tomorrow and using it there to see how it goes. At home, I play too many games to keep it around here. Although, it might be interesting to try as a sniper in TF2...

Attachments
2010-07-29 21.35.59.jpg

#335649 - 30/07/2010 02:53 Re: Apple's touchpad update today [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Well, it's workable in shooters, and aiming is ok with it. Scrolling to select weapons failed badly though, the scroll input is just way too fast for Team Fortress to deal with well. Ultimately though, the thumb trackball will still remain my favorite sniper control. Used to be brutal with one, until my thumb started showing signs of RSI.

#335651 - 30/07/2010 03:37 Re: Apple's touchpad update today [Re: gbeer]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
and how would I do that without knowing where the holes are ?

#335694 - 31/07/2010 01:08 Re: Apple's touchpad update today [Re: andy]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Chiming in late to this thread, I understand Apple's desire to go wireless, but I'm with the I-prefer-wires crowd. What I don't get, however, is why isn't making desktop keyboard with integrated trackpads. You could take the smaller keyboard and glue the trackpad onto the right of it and have an integrated solution that would work well in your lap. Even better (at least for touch-typists) would be to split the keyboard into left and right-hand sections, with the trackpad dead in the center (not unlike a Kinesis Contoured Keyboard, but flat rather than curved).

#340904 - 08/01/2011 23:00 Re: Apple's touchpad update today [Re: DWallach]
tman
carpal tunnel

I got given a Magic Trackpad as a late Christmas present. Paired it with my first gen C2D Mac Mini and it seems to be working quite nicely. I'm not sure I'd say it was worth the £60 it costs to buy here as its even more expensive than the wireless keyboard but as a present I'm not going to complain smile

I normally use the Mac Mini with a wired USB Intellimouse but I'll give it a go with just the giant trackpad. I don't think there should be too many issues with switching as I don't play games on the Mac ever and I'm fine with the touchpads on laptops. I would have still prefered a wired version so I don't ever need to worry about batteries tho...

If I can be bothered to dig out a USB Bluetooth dongle then I might try it with my Windows desktop with the modified boot camp drivers.

#340919 - 09/01/2011 21:21 Re: Apple's touchpad update today [Re: tman]
tman
carpal tunnel

I've used the Magic Trackpad for most of today and I like it. It even works decently as a Boxee remote (the app that is) but it'd be rough on anybody that doesn't know the gestures or how to use Boxee.

Edited by tman (10/01/2011 00:42)

#340923 - 10/01/2011 00:37 Re: Apple's touchpad update today [Re: andy]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Originally Posted By: andy
and how would I do that without knowing where the holes are ?

Use the point of the exacto to probe straight into the pad. The hole is most always in the widest part of the pad. (see pic) Holes are also sometimes put under labels. Pressing on the label with your thumb can leave a circular indentation, reviling the hole location.

Once the void is found cut sideways till you find the perimeter of the hole, and trace around.

If there is no hole at the probe location you will know when you meet the additional resistance of the under laying plastic. This will leave a small pin prick of no account.

Attachments
mouse.jpg

Description: On this mouse I'd expect the screws to be at the white locations.

#340929 - 10/01/2011 06:32 Re: Apple's touchpad update today [Re: gbeer]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I bought a couple of sets of new pads instead. They are sat here on the shelf until I need to replace the battery.

I'm also thinking about buying a spare Logitech MX Revolution from ebay, given that Logitech replaced it with a dumbed down version and no one else seems to make a comparable mouse.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2