Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#336239 - 18/08/2010 19:05 Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help!
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hi All,

I'm now the proud owner of an iMac. Trying to move as much as possible over to the Mac as I can.

So I know that emplode was never made to run on the Mac (would have to use Bootcamp or similar for that), but jemplode can run on the Mac, right? Does anyone know of any already existing documentation for installing it on the Mac? I'm a Mac idiot right now...

- Thanx
- Jon

#336243 - 18/08/2010 20:32 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Yup, Jemplode should work fine, when connecting to the player via ethernet.

Just install the latest Java runtime engine from Java.com.

Then grab the latest Jemplode from the link at the top of the page.

That should be all. If you have any trouble beyond that, post back here with details of the trouble.

#336277 - 20/08/2010 01:26 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Even easier then what Tony posted.

Step 1. Download jEmplode from the link at the top
Step 2 (optional but recommended). Move jEmplode to the Applications folder
Step 3. Double click jEmplode

You now have installed a program in one of the normal Mac ways, drag and drop. Since Java is built in and updated as part of the system, no need to visit Java.com to download it.

Oh, keep in mind iTunes defaults ripping to AAC (MPEG 4 Audio), and the empeg won't play them. Make sure to change it to MP3 if you plan to use it to rip CDs. You will find the Setting under iTunes (menu entry) Preferences, then Import Settings.

#336287 - 20/08/2010 14:13 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: drakino]
jbauer
veteran

Thanks guys. Works perfectly.

- Jon

#336298 - 21/08/2010 02:49 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: jbauer]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
You'll also become accustomed to that with a Mac. Rather boring if, like me, you prided yourself on getting things to work on a PC.

#336483 - 28/08/2010 22:50 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: JBjorgen]
jbauer
veteran

Hi All,

Ok, I'm using jemplode to download my empeg files to my NAS. A few things:

1) Hm. I didn't realize that characters like "?" and others are ALLOWED on OSX and were NOT allowed in the Windows world... That's gonna make things interesting for me...

2) Something is weird with jemplode and downloading. I have my settings as follows:

* Filename format is: {artist} - {source} - {tracknr:2} - {title}{ext}
* Download with full path is selected
* Write ID3v2 Tags to downloaded files is selected
* Remove ID3v1 Tags is unchecked

For some reason, jemplode insists on creating subdirectories where there should be none...

For example, in the file: "Andrew Bird - Music Of Hair - 07 - Ratitat_Peter's Wolf_Oblivious.mp3," jemplode is creating a subdir called "Andrew Bird - Music Of Hair - 07 - Ratitat" and under that, "Peter's Wolf" and then creating an mp3 in that directory called "Oblivious.mp3"

What the heck is going on?

- Thanx!
- Jon

#336487 - 29/08/2010 08:22 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: jbauer]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Are there "/" characters in the tag? i.e. is the actual title "Ratitat/Peter's Wolf/Oblivious"? if so, that sounds like a small bug in Jemplode whereby it's not eliminating those characters from the leafname.

If the extra subdirectories are an actual problem, it shouldn't be too hard to rustle up a shell script which fixes them...

Peter

#336492 - 29/08/2010 15:28 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: peter]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Are you downloading them directly to the NAS, or saving them locally first then copying them? Also, what network file protocol are you using to connect to the NAS (SMB/CIFS, AFP, or NFS)?

#336493 - 29/08/2010 15:53 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: drakino]
jbauer
veteran

Peter -> you are right. The song name is "Ratitat/Peter's Wolf/Oblivious"

Tom -> Directly to my NAS. I believe that the Mac connects to my Drobo FS via SMB.

Any way to prevent jEmplode from creating directories when it encounters a "/" within a song / album name?

- Jon

#336494 - 29/08/2010 16:01 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: jbauer]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Try saving the files to your Mac locally first. It may be some weird issue when it's saving to the NAS via a Windows file protocol. OS X will allow any character in a filename except :

I'm going to try it here locally myself to see, been meaning to get the empeg prepped for reinstallation anyhow.

#336495 - 29/08/2010 16:12 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: jbauer]
peter
carpal tunnel

Code:
ls */*.mp3 */*/*.mp3 | xargs -n1 -I{} sh -c 'mv "{}" "`echo {} | tr / _`"'

As ever, that's the GNU xargs, but hopefully it's portable to the OSX/Darwin one. You need to be in the directory where the MP3s are (or should be) for it to work.

(The World Health Organisation recommend that people consume at least three different types of quote mark daily.)

Peter

#336496 - 29/08/2010 16:12 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: drakino]
jbauer
veteran

Just tried saving to my local HD. Same deal-e-o. Creates a new directory when encountering a "/" in the song name. Bummer. I can't believe this issue hasn't come up before!

What's weird about the character thing is that before, on a PC, I was using jEmplode and saving directly on my NAS, and now, I'm also using jEmplode and saving directly on the NAS. I guess Java code on the PC follows the Windows character rules, where the Java code on the Mac follows the Mac character rules? It must be, as the jEmplode.jar is the same on both computers...

- Jon

#336497 - 29/08/2010 16:20 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: jbauer]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'm seeing the same thing when downloading locally and to an AFP share. Oddly, it looks like : is prohibited in the Finder and GUI level of OS X, and / is prohibited in the UNIX layer. I named a file with a / in it, and in Terminal the filename shows as containing :. So it looks like OS X is doing some weird things to maintain backwards compatibility, as the : restriction is from the pre X days.

The Jemplode source link appears broken, anyone have a copy handy of it? I never noticed this particular problem as I tend not to download much back off the empeg.

#336498 - 29/08/2010 16:20 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: jbauer]
jbauer
veteran

Peter -> sorry, but what exactly does that do? :-)

If it fixes the directories made when a "/" is encountered, and I need to be in the right directory each time, that solution isn't gonna work for me... I mean, it would take me many hours to fix every time I re-synced my empeg with my NAS.

I use my empeg as my central repository for my mp3 files. I then download an entire genre to my NAS to get it synced up. So every time jEmplode found a "/" in a song name, it would re-create the directory again, and I'd need to go through the process each time...

Is anyone still working on jEmplode code?

- Jon

#336499 - 29/08/2010 16:28 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: jbauer]
peter
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: jbauer
Peter -> sorry, but what exactly does that do? :-)

If it fixes the directories made when a "/" is encountered, and I need to be in the right directory each time, that solution isn't gonna work for me.

It takes all MP3s found in subdirectories of the current directory, and replaces the "/" characters in the paths with "_" characters, so they all end up in the same directory.

Quote:
I mean, it would take me many hours to fix every time I re-synced my empeg with my NAS.

Oh, right, I get it now, you download into a directory tree of the Empeg playlist structure -- but because of this problem you also get extra subdirectories below that. Mmm. That's harder to detect or fix after the fact. So ignore me, yes, what you need is a Jemplode fix. Or a different program for fetching from the Empeg, which I don't have one of, as I always synchronise in the other direction.

Peter

#336500 - 29/08/2010 16:31 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: peter]
jbauer
veteran

Peter -> thanks for trying!!!

- Jon

#336512 - 29/08/2010 23:03 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, odd unexpected problems like this are why I go to the trouble of making sure all my tags are windows-filename-compatible. I never allow colons, slashes, question marks, or other such things in my MP3 tags. It's a bit of a pain sometimes, for instance, not being able to see some of the special characters in certain song or album titles, but it keeps everything clean when I do things like download a file off the player.

#336519 - 30/08/2010 06:29 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: tfabris]
peter
carpal tunnel

I think the best answer -- if and when anyone gets round to fixing Jemplode -- is to translate the non-Windows-leafname characters into their "fullwidth" forms (U+FF00 onwards). This doesn't look exactly right but is a lot closer than nothing. (Song titles such as "Doctor?" just aren't as... querulous without the question-mark.)

Peter

#336524 - 30/08/2010 12:59 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: peter]
jbauer
veteran

Ok, so I've decided to just use Windows to run jEmplode to download my mp3s from my empeg. Now I'm having ANOTHER issue!

jEmplode is creating the mp3s using the track # instead of the position #. When I was on the PC, it was using the position #.

How do I tell jEmplode to use position # again? I can't find anything in the options.

- Thanx
- Jon

#336528 - 30/08/2010 14:06 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: jbauer
jEmplode is creating the mp3s using the track # instead of the position #. When I was on the PC, it was using the position #. How do I tell jEmplode to use position # again? I can't find anything in the options.

Well, by definition, the track number is what it *should* be using, since the position number is just a playlist position and is not the same thing as a CD track number.

But here is something you can do if you like. Earlier you said that your file name format you were using was this:

Quote:
* Filename format is: {artist} - {source} - {tracknr:2} - {title}{ext}

You could change tracknr: to pos: (or whatever the correct variable is to use for position, I forget what it is exactly right now), then you could use a tool like MP3 Tag Studio to perform a "retag all files based on file name" pass on whatever you downloaded.

Another one of the reasons that I keep windows-illegal characters out of all my fields is so that I can always do a "retag all files based on file name" pass on any file I download.

Note that I also include Genre and Year in my filename format, so that my file names always contain as much information as my tags do.

#336530 - 30/08/2010 14:32 Re: Ok, I'm making the leap to the Mac. Help! [Re: tfabris]
jbauer
veteran

Oops. Duh. Yeah, of course! Thanks Tony.

- Jon