Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#33848 - 05/07/2001 18:25 Re: Replacing Knobs (New Idea) [Re: EngelenH]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Guess we will both have to face up to the fact that we are NOT normal.

Which is eactly why this is one of the best, most informative, and most entertaining bbs on the internet!

We have an extraordinary group of people contributing to this site and I feel privileged to consider myself a part of it.

tanstaafl

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#33849 - 05/07/2001 23:00 Re: Replacing Knobs (New Idea) [Re: pca]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
If you just want a big bright flash.

Take a cardboard box, open on one end, wrap it with plastic wrap (the food wrap kind) including the open end. Purge the atmosphere from it with xenon gas. Attach a small explosive to the side opposite the open end. Detonate at will. These things can be sized to provide flashes with enough power to do real damage.

I saw these being used on an explosives test firing table. This type flash was needed to provide enough light for the high speed cameras. Some of them have shutter speeds >10ns, and need massive doses of light to get an image.

Glenn

Warning: Do not look into bright light with remaining good eye!

#33850 - 06/07/2001 06:37 Re: Replacing Knobs (New Idea) [Re: pca]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Back on topic, Sorry!

couldn't you mill a knob out of aluminuim (aluminum) or anything else just on a lathe? It doesn't have to match the original perfectly except for outer diameter, overall length and inner spindle diameter and even the it just has to be big enough to get a rubber grommit in to hold the shaft.

interested anyone?

If it were aluminium, you could have it anodised. Imagine, a black knob. I'll leave it there.

Murray 06000047
I don't think, therefore I am not.

#33851 - 06/07/2001 06:43 Re: Replacing Knobs (New Idea) [Re: muzza]
kazama
enthusiast

Loc: Boston, MA
couldn't you mill a knob out of aluminuim (aluminum) or anything else just on a lathe?

I thought about that but then looked at the detail of the knob. It is so small and the inside of the knob does have relief work in it that using a lathe and chisel could be a major pain in the booty. Casting seemed a better aternative to me because the mold would be a duplicate copy of a knob I know works already, pouring metal is much easier than lathing metal, and I don't have a lathe or chisels for metal work. You probably could make wooden knobs on a lathe easily. But that again, this is all new teritory for me.

#33852 - 06/07/2001 06:49 Re: Replacing Knobs (New Idea) [Re: kazama]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
But you could just have a plain shape, if you wanted. Work on details later just a wheel with decent weight would be neat.
To each their own

Murray 06000047
I don't think, therefore I am not.

#33853 - 06/07/2001 09:29 Re: Replacing Knobs (New Idea) [Re: muzza]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Once I buy a MkII (which is as soon as the empeg shop opens...) I'll make a try at making a wheel
in aluminum or stainless steel at my little lathe (Hobbymat) For better grip one would probably
want some sort of pattern... with a mill and a dividing plate it'd be easy, but as I don't have those...
But a friend works in a shop with a couple of CNC grinders. They're mainly for grinding circle
saw blades, but at least one can do really fancy stuff,

/Michael

#33854 - 06/07/2001 10:11 Re: Replacing Knobs (New Idea) [Re: mtempsch]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
I may have a go at making a knob on my lathe as well, since several people seem to want them. I could do it in A4 stainless, aerospace grade aluminum, or admiralty-spec nickel aluminum bronze, with the materials at hand. (amazine what people dump in scrapyards nowadays). I might be able to make it out of titanium, if a friend comes through with the promised offcuts.

(The above was of course supposed to be 'amazing'. Obviously, amazine is in fact the material you make something amazing out of.)

A titanium knob. Rob WOULD be pleased

For better grip one would probably want some sort of pattern...

I could always knurl it. I like knurling. And no, it's not the game played in northern countries.

Patrick.

Opinions expressed in this email may contain up to 42% water by weight, and are mine. All mine.

Edited by pca on 06/07/01 11:12 PM.

#33855 - 06/07/2001 13:36 Re: Replacing Knobs (New Idea) [Re: pca]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Count me in the wants-a-set list for either one of the materials. Though titanium must be a favorite for me too

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue & Red - 080000431

#33856 - 06/07/2001 14:03 Re: Replacing Knobs (New Idea) [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
ROFL!

#33857 - 06/07/2001 17:19 Re: Replacing Knobs (New Idea) [Re: pca]
xanatos
enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
I would totally pay for any of these materials for buttons and the knob... and titanium would be just... creamy ^^ Now if only we could get an alumium or titanium fasica :)

Damien Heiser

RioCar 12GB Blue SN: 120001043

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2