Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#33862 - 03/07/2001 10:17 Perils of empeg
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Okay as much as i like the empeg it has it short coming in dealing with the real world.

Case one

Borrowed the girlfriends car and was confronted with these strange plastic things with two holes in them that have to be put into a slot in dash to make music. Strange searcing method used where you read paper notes on plastic boxes. Gave up on these and tryed radio and listened to local station started playing a song i disliked and discovered to my horror no skip button on radio.

Any ideas to these strange plastic things are

Case two

Describing empeg to someone and being told that it can't have 32Gig so it must be 32meg eventually gave up in my struggle to educte masses

Case three

The napster question i shall say no more as well all know this.

Four

The classic response i don't own that many cds i don't see the point.

Case Five Don't repeat this one

Showed girlfriend with slightly dubious music taste how to work empeg, Got larger hard disc in empeg. Now forced to listen to Bryan adams whenever she gets near the remote.

#33863 - 03/07/2001 10:32 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: thinfourth2]
kazama
enthusiast

Loc: Boston, MA
Case one

Borrowed the girlfriends car and was confronted with these strange plastic things with two holes in them that have to be put into a slot in dash to make music. Strange searcing method used where you read paper notes on plastic boxes. Gave up on these and tryed radio and listened to local station started playing a song i disliked and discovered to my horror no skip button on radio.

I try to avoid the soft squishy people as much as possible and their "analog" storage devices. Think you stumbled upon a mythical "casette tape". You know the device the MPAA says it's ok to copy and distribute.

Case two

Describing empeg to someone and being told that it can't have 32Gig so it must be 32meg eventually gave up in my struggle to educte masses

Tell them you can put your entire CD collection on it and they will get the idea even if they have no concept of storage.

Case Four

The classic response i don't own that many cds i don't see the point.

Tell them the extra storage is used for GPS maps. That will REALLY confuse them (Thanks Kim!)

Case Five Don't repeat this one

Showed girlfriend with slightly dubious music taste how to work empeg, Got larger hard disc in empeg. Now forced to listen to Bryan adams whenever she gets near the remote.

I have the same problem except I am forced to listen to No Doubt. On the flip side, she figured out how to use the unit by herself in less than 5 minutes. My techie freak friend from VA picked up the remote and within 1 minute found all the Dead Can Dance tunes. His comment "I love an easy to navigate interface"

Greg

#33864 - 03/07/2001 10:34 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: thinfourth2]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Bwahahahahahaha! Great stuff.

Incidentally the most entertaining way to "explain" the empeg is to just show it to someone and not tell them what it is. Then start playing music, doing searches, etc. and see their eyes bulge. "How does the music get in there?" "Where is the music stored?" And the fan favorite, "how much does it cost?"

-Tony
MkII #554

#33865 - 03/07/2001 14:19 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: thinfourth2]
Captain_Chaos

Loc: Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Hey, what's wrong with Bryan Adams?!

#33866 - 03/07/2001 15:04 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: thinfourth2]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
HEhehehehehehhhehehhe.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

hehehe

TommyE

#33867 - 04/07/2001 13:55 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: TommyE]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Discovered a new peril

Oh look a pull out cd player i haven't seen one of those for years your stereo is well out of date.

This was said to me this morning while buying a cd player for girlfriends car this morning

#33868 - 04/07/2001 15:29 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: thinfourth2]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
did they even make pull out cd players I have only seen cassette

Matt

#33869 - 04/07/2001 18:49 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: thinfourth2]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
How about the response,

"Pullout?! That sucks, I have a removeable faceplate for my stereo that fits in my pocket..."

Obviously missing the entire concept of the storage in the empeg... But my 300+ CDs are in this "pullout that sucks"...

Dave Clark
Austin, Texas
12g Blue MK2
S/N 80000329

#33870 - 04/07/2001 20:18 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: davec]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

the only part the sucks about it being a pull out is no one makes cases anymore and I can't find one that fits

Matt

#33871 - 05/07/2001 01:57 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: msaeger]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We still make cases - they're just taking forever to turn up! The international store will offer empeg branded cases for sale when it goes online (very soon now, I hope!).

Rob

#33872 - 05/07/2001 02:28 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: rob]
kimbotha

Loc: London, UK
Seems a shame that what I thought was going to be one of the things being bought out by Rio was going to help, distribution and part sourcing, has actually seemed to get worse since the merge...

It must be really frustrating for the original empeg staff over there... Hopefully it will all get sorted out soon... :)

Attachments
33109- (90 downloads)

#33873 - 05/07/2001 03:04 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: msaeger]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Actually the best in car cd player i have ever heard is an old alpine that is a pullout sound quality wise it kicks the empegs butt but it is from the dark ages as it doesn't even have RDS on its radio. I can't remeber the model number but these things still sell for about £500 second hand they are awesome.

#33874 - 05/07/2001 17:40 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: msaeger]
p_mauro
new poster

Hey, I have an extra case if you want it!

#33875 - 05/07/2001 17:55 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: p_mauro]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I do I do let me know where to send the money

thanks

Matt

#33876 - 07/07/2001 08:16 Re: Perils of empeg [Re: msaeger]
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
I had to drive my wife's car today which only has a cassette/radio. Was listening to the radio and a track came on that I recognised but couldn't remember the artist or the title so, naturally, I looked down to find out. Felt like an idiot when all I could see was the radio frequency. Just goes to show how reliant I've become.

What's worse is that there now seems to be a problem with the battery or the alternator which is, of course, all my fault.

Steve - 18GB Mk II Blue

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons