Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#339054 - 04/11/2010 12:20 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: mlord]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
The Apple hardware looks good, but in the end it's just a netbook, and one that needs external dongles to connect to everyday things like LANs and external screens. Stuff like the non-replaceable (non-existent) "hard drive", non-standard BIOS, and difficult-to-replace battery, means that it misses out on the basics while sitting there and looking extremely pretty with a very high price tag.

What is your definition of a netbook out of curiosity? It does seem to be different then what most of the mainstream agrees to, and is complicating my understanding of your actual needs. Did you consider your Dell X1 a netbook? For me, (and it seems Bruno, and many others), a netbook is an Atom powered (this no out of order execution) based system with a screen limited to 1024x600, portable computer. The X1, Air, and other certain systems with more normal (for their time) processors, higher resolutions, and such are typically called ultra portable notebooks.

As for the non-standard BIOS, indeed, it does lack that 80s BIOS standard. It does however use an industry standard called EFI. EFI is the new boot firmware being widely deployed now, including every Dell workstation and server we have received at work for the past year. It's been around in some form for a bit over a decade now, and it's also been that long since I first booted Linux using EFI instead of BIOS. What is funny to me is how most vendors will make their first EFI systems act and feel just like BIOS, so it's sometimes hard to tell the difference, especially when the system includes the CSM for legacy support.

As for the basics, all depends on your definition there. I've had WiFi pretty much everywhere I go, so thats more basic for me then a LAN. For the rare times I don't have static WiFi, I have a small Clear branded device that creates WiFi and accesses the WiMax network running in Austin. A full size keyboard also fits into my basic needs for a computer, so that tends to exclude most netbooks.

Oh well, guess I'm just one of those happier jewel-encrusted kinda guys, using his Apple "netbook" to get work done on flights using VMWare and such :-) The new 11 inch really tempts me if I'm going to be doing work on the road with the new job, as the TSA indicated it doesn't even need to come out of a bag for screening. Not that I really agree with their arbitrary security theater rules, but hey, it's slightly less time wasted when boarding a flight.

#339057 - 04/11/2010 12:51 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: mlord]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I just have to make sure not to have my wife with me when I visit the Apple store. Otherwise she'll get to touch and hold the Air and I might end up leaving with a lighter wallet. It's aptly named, since it replaces cash with air. wink Works on wallets and bank accounts equally well.

#339064 - 04/11/2010 16:55 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: drakino]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Originally Posted By: drakino
What is your definition of a netbook out of curiosity? It does seem to be different then what most of the mainstream agrees to, and is complicating my understanding of your actual needs. Did you consider your Dell X1 a netbook? For me, (and it seems Bruno, and many others), a netbook is an Atom powered (this no out of order execution) based system with a screen limited to 1024x600, portable computer. The X1, Air, and other certain systems with more normal (for their time) processors, higher resolutions, and such are typically called ultra portable notebooks.

To me "netbook" and "ultra-portable notebook" are synonyms. There's a very broad continuum of performance and component choice across the whole product area, and dividing it in two seems like pure marchitecture. Even dividing it on screen size is a bit arbitrary: there are 11.6in Atom machines, for instance, sometimes in the same case design as the same manufacturer's 10in Atom machines (but with smaller borders round the screen).

Peter

#339066 - 04/11/2010 17:52 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: peter]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

A netbook = some low-end machine typically well under $500.

An ultraportable = a high end machine of small size, usually carrying a price premium.

#339067 - 04/11/2010 18:15 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
A netbook = some low-end machine typically well under $500.

An ultraportable = a high end machine of small size, usually carrying a price premium.

Yeah, sorry Peter, but I think that's the most often agreed upon definition of Netbook. I suppose that you could call netbooks a subset of ultraportables (because they are indeed very portable), but I think the industry, press, and general public consider a netbook to be both small and inexpensive.

And Tom, I don't think it's anything beyond that, even defining a specific CPU. It's just that the vast majority of netbooks happen to have an Atom in them, for good or for bad. Netbooks are simply small and cheap. Bruno, I'd even lower that price point to $400, possibly $350 (that's for the base, though, you can always get more expensive models).

I don't have a problem with the Air, and I think it's a well-built machine. I do think, though, that it's very expensive, and the use-cases for a computer like the Air sound to me like cases in which you could get by with a standard netbook. There are so many these days that make good Hackintoshes anyway.

But that's partly my own mindset. I've never been a big laptop fan, because I've always been wary of spending so much money on something that's infinitely more susceptible to damage than a desktop. That's half the reason I bought a netbook - if I'm not going to do heavy-duty work on it, I might as well get the cheapest computer I can, and when/if it breaks I won't feel like I've lost that much money wink

#339080 - 04/11/2010 20:27 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: peter]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
For me, a "netbook" or "airbook", or "Dell X1" (aka. Samsung Q30) is a very small, very light, notebook computer with good connectivity. Suitable for tossing into one's handbag or luggage for quick and easy travel, and for plugging into larger screens for presentations or whatever.

The Dell X1 I have was the last of the really expensive kind, when "small" meant a huge price premium. I bought it second hand for about half of retail.

The Apple Airbook (11") is a netbook just like it, except for the poor connectivity. Both have excellent metal shells, great keyboards and touchpads (the Apple being better, but lacking buttons.. call it a wash).

The new Samsung N210 here, is of lower cost construction, but superior to the Dell X1 by virtue of the much improved battery and charge duration. The Apple netbook has a much faster CPU and excellent looking construction, and way better software out of the box than either of the other two.

But I have my own software, so that last point is worthless to me, and the machine is too expensive (though possibly not overpriced), and too limited for my needs.

I have other, better connected notebooks with big/fast CPUs and more RAM.. that's not what a lightweight small travelbook needs.

Cheers

-ml

#339084 - 04/11/2010 21:28 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: mlord]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I just built a dolly that collapses into a backpack to carry my full tower case and CRT for when I make my Starbucks trips. wink

I suppose my ultraportable is my iPhone with a BT keyboard. smile

#339087 - 04/11/2010 21:45 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: hybrid8]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I thought about going with a tablet or mini-tablet, possibly with a roll-up or fold-up keyboard. But I do use it for light programming (I always have the full Hijack kernel environment on hand!), and for offloading photos from the camera's flash card. Plus the evening "slide shows" after each day's tour whilst traveling.

The selection of good/light devices is definitely better now than it ever was before. Until the current crop of netbooks arrived, I was beginning to wonder what I'd ever be able to replace the Dell X1 with.

Cheers

#339093 - 05/11/2010 03:13 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: mlord]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I for one, have owned a MacBook Air and used several netbooks, and they are certainly not in the same category by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't pretend you can lump them together unless size is the ONLY criteria.

Needing more ports is a legitimate gripe, especially for someone who does a lot of development with hardware.

For me and most other Air users, it wasn't a problem. I didn't even mind the external DVD drive most of the time. The only time I did was when flying and wanting to watch a DVD. I just started ripping them before the trip.

#339099 - 05/11/2010 09:42 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: JBjorgen]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
I for one, have owned a MacBook Air and used several netbooks, and they are certainly not in the same category by any stretch of the imagination.

No, they're much, much more expensive, built like fine jewelery , and include a copy of Mac OS/X.

The airbook you owned was probably the large one, not the 11" netbook version that just came on the market.

Cheers

#339184 - 07/11/2010 13:38 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

The selection of good/light devices is definitely better now than it ever was before. Until the current crop of netbooks arrived, I was beginning to wonder what I'd ever be able to replace the Dell X1 with.\

Heh.. Okay, so this morning, after many days of playing only with the new N210 netbook, I powered on the Dell X1 for a look.

WOW! That "tiny" 12" screen is MASSIVE!! smile
The old yet excellent keyboard feels even better, and the X1 seems a LOT lighter than the N210, even though the difference is barely half a pound.

Maybe I'll look into new batteries and a new backlight tube for the X1 again after all.. wow!

But I also need to think hard (again) about shoehorning a real SSD into it somehow. The internal drive bay only fits 1.8" IDE drives (not even ZIF).. tricky to find space for a PATA->SATA converter board..

Cheers

Edited by mlord (07/11/2010 13:42)

#339213 - 07/11/2010 18:28 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: mlord]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Shoulda popped for the Air. You wouldn't be feeling like this today. Cheapskate wink

#339220 - 07/11/2010 21:58 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: JBjorgen]
mlord
carpal tunnel

smile Naw, I make my living playing with drives.. the nonreplaceable airbook drive just wouldn't do! smile

#339246 - 08/11/2010 13:06 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: mlord]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

It's replaceable. It just uses a non-standard interface.

#339247 - 08/11/2010 13:08 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: DWallach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

#339251 - 08/11/2010 13:15 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

It's apparently a standard interface even, "mSATA". Started showing up in some netbooks, though not in the long stick form, usually shorter (and lower capacity).

The Toshiba drives are the exact ones Apple is using in the Air systems. Another company also announced their own line that includes a USB3 case for the old one if ordered as an upgrade.

#339258 - 08/11/2010 16:38 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California

Says sata but looks like its via mini pcie.

#339260 - 08/11/2010 17:11 Re: Samsung N210 [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

I also need to think hard (again) about shoehorning a real SSD into it somehow.

Mmm.. turns out that is easier now than ever.

eBay is chock full of very fast CF cards with decent wear-leveling -- essentially true SSDs in CF casings.

And there are also lots of PATA ("IDE") SSDs of various interfaces showing up there -- older notebooks can finally be upgraded to the modern era!

Cheers

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3