Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#343012 - 02/03/2011 16:11 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: canuckInOR]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Originally Posted By: sn00p
And they have no idea what will happen to Qt after the last Symbian device ships.

Well, since Qt runs on lots of different platforms, my guess is they'll use it to build UI elements for the new Windows mobile OS, and continue on as usual.

They've already said they won't do this.

Microsoft already has a development ecosystem for Windows 7 Phone and it's vastly different to Qt.

Edit: When I say vastly different, I mean that it's silverlight and .Net. There is no native code for third parties, hence why we are not going to be seeing Qt on it.

Edited by sn00p (02/03/2011 19:59)

#343176 - 07/03/2011 13:17 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: sn00p]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Nokia has sold Qt.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/07/nokia-sells-qt-licensing-and-services-business-to-digia/

It'll be interesting to see what the new owners plans will be for it, especially with the non commercial licenses.

Adrian

Edit:

http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2011/03/07/nokia-and-digia-working-together/#comments

Not quite sold, Nokia will retain ownership of Qt but are passing on commercial licensing to Digia.

Humn....

Edited by sn00p (07/03/2011 13:24)

#345155 - 16/05/2011 13:04 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: sn00p]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Finally a rumor that makes sense.

Microsoft is supposedly about to start talks to purchase Nokia's mobile division.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/16/eldar-murtazin-microsoft-will-enter-negotiations-to-buy-nokias/

I don't think Windows phone will be any competition for iOS or RIM or Android while its handsets are being produced by third parties with only a single foot in the door.

This move would allow Microsoft to compete head-on with Apple for the big money, leaving everyone else to pick up crumbs. On top of that they'd still be getting fat royalties (relatively speaking since it's all just patent gravy) from all the other parties even if they stopped licensing their OS, since such a move would only expand their patent portfolio (that some handset makers have already conceded Android is infringing upon).

It's a good thing that Yahoo deal didn't go through, this makes much more sense. At least conceptually. I don't know what the numbers are going to be like for an acquisition, nor how much of Nokia would be up for grabs (NAVTEQ included?).

I don't see how MS is going to be anything but a marginal player with marginal profits licensing WP7 and its successors to third parties. They don't currently have the same level of opportunity that Google does to turn unit share into additional revenue streams (mostly advertising via in-app and search). The licensing fees collected from third parties have got to be pretty small compared to the kinds of money Apple makes selling devices.

Edited by hybrid8 (16/05/2011 17:35)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3