Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#343278 - 10/03/2011 16:04 Re: Google sucks [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I thought that turning off extensions might fix the issue, but it's still screwy.

Start Safari showing Top Sites page
Search for "blue roses" using search bar/field
Click on any result
Use BACK command in browser to return to results
Search box correctly reads "blue roses"
Type over the word "blue" with the word "red" and press ENTER to search
Click on any result
Use BACK command in browser to return to results

Google search string sometimes says "blue roses" and shows results for blue roses

If it says RED, use BACK again to see if it then shows the BLUE search.

Use BACK command yet again and it should return to Top Sites (your browser's home page)

Next use FORWARD and the page should show the blue roses search - more often than not, I'm getting "red roses" showing up here.

That's what's happening with the Extensions mechanism turned off.

Items of Note... I start the search using the built-in browser search bar. I go BACK and FORWARD using the keyboard. I always press ENTER/RETURN after each search term is typed, even though Google is doing its live thing.

#343282 - 10/03/2011 18:57 Re: Google sucks [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Cool. No more need to use extensions to block sites in Google results.

#343286 - 11/03/2011 00:26 Re: Google sucks [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
When blue is typed over red, google dynamically updates the search.
But the browser hasn't been instructed to fetch a new url.
So, no blue roses url is pushed into the history.
Selecting a blue roses result pushes that into top of the history.
Back pops the last url, and you get red roses.

If blue is typed over red, and return pressed, the browser pushes blue roses into the history. Now the back button will work as expected.

Any who didn't experience the problem were likely hitting return without realizing it.

#343288 - 11/03/2011 01:21 Re: Google sucks [Re: gbeer]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

But I am pressing return and still seeing the problem. smile And in fact going forward-backward from my home page will not always show the same search item in Google.

#343289 - 11/03/2011 02:05 Re: Google sucks [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Earlier I was trying the example in FF.

Just retried it in Safari, updated yesterday, no problems with fwd back.

A question, when you write about typing into the search bar. Is it the one in Safari's menu bar or the one in Google's web page?

#343290 - 11/03/2011 02:15 Re: Google sucks [Re: gbeer]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'm seeing the URL bar update about 3-5 seconds after I stop typing, and this is when I'm not hitting return. From my tests, it's looking like the browser (Safari in my case) gets pushed a URL update at the same time results appear, but delays updating the URL displayed until things settle down. If I pick a link before the URL bar updates, I always get the last result I typed when I hit back.

If I do the exact steps Bruno last listed with Safari, I see the same thing, but only when I go back before the search then attempt to go forward. Forward twice always returns me to red roses. Never been able to recreate the issue going backwards, only when a forward is in the mix do I see some oddness.

#343757 - 25/03/2011 15:19 Re: Google sucks [Re: Robotic]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Originally Posted By: Robotic
Gizmodo still hasn't fixed their crap.
I've been using ca.gizmodo (and ca.jalopnik) to get at the old style layout, but for some strange reason during the early part of the day these sites show stories from February 23.
At least today it's Feb 23, could be different each day.
Still sorta odd.
I wondered if anyone else noticed and plugging 'february 23rd gizmodo' into google, I came up with this random blog entry that pretty much sums up how dumb they were to change their format:
http://fartonice.com/graphics/gizmodo-and-digg-when-web-design-goes-wrong/

Not sure if this is relevant for anyone but me, but the solution to the February 23rd battle is to use
http://ca.gizmodo.com/?p=1

Meanwhile, 'Blog mode' on their main site is a bit better than where they started the 'upgrade'. Wish I could shrink or disappear the sidebar.
http://gizmodo.com/#!classic

#345381 - 27/05/2011 13:01 Re: Google sucks [Re: Robotic]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I forgot to update this thread regarding the odd Page Back behavior with Safari and Google.com

Since last posting I have installed a brand new drive in my MacBook Pro (128GB Kingston SSD) and installed Mac OS 10.6.7 from scratch.

I still experience the issue.

#345387 - 28/05/2011 01:11 Re: Google sucks [Re: hybrid8]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
So, given that google's search functionality sucks and their results are highly polluted with crap sites, what is good these days?

#345425 - 31/05/2011 02:26 Re: Google sucks [Re: larry818]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Everyone else with Google Apps accounts being spammed over the past month or two about changes coming up? I don't know about everyone else, but I don't need 106 emails about the subject.

The funny thing is, none of the emails are actually for the three domains I have set up with Google apps. They're all for domains that I helped other people set up for which I am not an admin.

#345438 - 31/05/2011 17:35 Re: Google sucks [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I received a single email in regards to billing changes. I don't know why you'd be getting so many...

#345443 - 31/05/2011 18:12 Re: Google sucks [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

This isn't about billing changes. The recent changes are a complete migration of Google apps accounts over to a brand new system that gives owners access to over 60 Google services, all integrated and accessible through the normal Google portals.

Like I said, I haven't received a single email for the domains that I actually own and admin myself, only emails for a few that I had previously set up for other people. That's the oddest part of all.

#345473 - 02/06/2011 05:12 Re: Google sucks [Re: hybrid8]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Nothing at all received here related to Google Apps on my domain hosted at Google.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#345475 - 02/06/2011 10:18 Re: Google sucks [Re: Shonky]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Here's the complete text of one of the "two week" emails:

Quote:

Dear Google Apps administrator,

Google Apps accounts are undergoing an improvement, allowing you to give users access to over 60 additional applications from Google. We encourage you to transition your organization’s accounts on your own schedule now.

There are several advantages to transitioning on your own schedule:
Make the change on your own timeline
Have time to try the new infrastructure with a subset of your accounts first
Use automated mailing lists and email templates to pre-notify your users
Get access to over 60 additional applications from Google right away
Start the transition today by clicking the “Get started” or “Transition more users” button in your control panel:
https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain.com

We plan to fully transition your organization soon -- including all users that you have not yet transitioned yourself. If you have not transitioned by the week of May 24, 2011, we’ll complete the transition for you.

If you have questions about this transition, we encourage you to explore our Help Center documentation for administrators and for end-users.

Sincerely,
The Google Apps Team

-------------
You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Google Apps account.

Please don't reply to this email, as we won't be able to review your response. You may file a case in your control panel if you need additional help.

Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043, USA

#345486 - 02/06/2011 16:22 Re: Google sucks [Re: hybrid8]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I got about three of those, for the one domain I have using Google Apps. I ignored all of them, as I have less than a dozen users.

#345534 - 04/06/2011 10:57 Re: Google sucks [Re: canuckInOR]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

And I'm STILL getting messages. And no mention of what domain it's relating to. Typical Google.

Quote:

Dear Google Apps administrator,

You may have heard about new infrastructure changes coming to Google Apps accounts. Apps administrators can allow users to access over 60 new applications such as Blogger, Reader, and Analytics.

We strongly recommend you transition your users now by signing into the control panel and clicking “Get started”. But if you do not take action, we plan to fully transition your organization ourselves in the next couple of days -- including all users that you have not yet transitioned yourself.

As an administrator, we encourage you to learn more about how this change impacts your users. If you have questions about this transition, we encourage you to explore our Help Center documentation for administrators and for end-users.

Sincerely,
The Google Apps Team

-------------
You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Google Apps account.

Please don't reply to this email, as we won't be able to review your response. You may file a case in your control panel if you need additional help.

Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043, USA

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3