Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#347458 - 16/09/2011 02:50 Re: Expanding the home LAN - access point questions [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Yeah...when I'm in Belize City, I'm stuck on 256k DSL, which is a relatively zippy connection in this country. I've heard legends of connections as fast as 4mbps though. So I'm with Bitt saying that's pretty super-duper.

#347461 - 16/09/2011 13:25 Re: Expanding the home LAN - access point questions [Re: JBjorgen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Yeah, I'm on 20/5 and I'm still salivating smile

120MBps. Wow. Do you ever max that out? Whenever I hear about that Google gigabit ethernet trial I wonder how many sites can actually deliver that. I was downloading a 300+MB file from Epson's website recently and they were only allowing about 15KBps. It was agony smile

#347462 - 16/09/2011 13:33 Re: Expanding the home LAN - access point questions [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I wouldn't want faster than 20Mbit/s unless there were no monthly transfer limits. Now THAT would be agony.

#347464 - 16/09/2011 16:22 Re: Expanding the home LAN - access point questions [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Yeah, I'm on 20/5 and I'm still salivating
Oh, you just think that 120 Mbps is great. I can put that to shame.

I have the fastest internet connection it is possible to have in this part of Mexico. On a good day, it till top out at as much as 7.2 Mbps, but that's not what makes it special. It's the day-to-day (over the past week, hour-by-hour!) excitement of unexpectedly having connectivity. I walk past the OOMA at two in the morning and the system light is shining blue. Immediately I rush back to the bedroom to wake up SWMBO and tell her "Quick, fire up your computer, the internet is back on!" and then rush to read my email before it goes away again.

I can't imagine how boring and uninteresting your lives must be when your internet connections work all the time. Where's the fun and excitement in that?

smile smile

In all fairness, it has only been the past week or so that it has been truly awful. It will be on for 10-15 minutes, then slow dramatically over a 1--2 minute period, then quit entirely, usually for several hours, sometimes half a day. I don't believe it is a problem with equipment on my end (i.e., cable modem or router) because when it goes down, it takes the cable TV with it. It seems like when it comes back it is usually a couple of minutes past a new hour. That is, if it fails at 11:25 am, it is most likely to return at 12:05 pm, or 1:05 pm, or 2:05 pm. I have no hard data to back up this supposition, but it seems that way, which makes me suspect that these are large-area outages and the ISP is checking and resetting something every hour. Or maybe it's Tony re-booting the internet?

Unfortunately, although ...estoy aprendiendo espaņol, I am not yet fluent enough to confront the ISP via telephone. I can generally say what I need to say (because, obviously, when I am speaking I use only the words that I know!) but then I get a reply in rapid-fire colloquial Spanish of which I recognize only a word here and there.

Oh, well, in terms of the world's problems, my intermittent internet connectivity just doesn't rank all that high, does it?

tanstaafl.

#347477 - 17/09/2011 00:28 Re: Expanding the home LAN - access point questions [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
That is the most awesome report of throttling, I've ever heard of. Could it be they are trying to outperform Comcast?

#347481 - 17/09/2011 03:02 Re: Expanding the home LAN - access point questions [Re: gbeer]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Originally Posted By: gbeer
That is the most awesome report of throttling, I've ever heard of. Could it be they are trying to outperform Comcast?

Try Hughesnet.

Note that when they say "your download speeds will be reduced," they really mean that "you won't even be able to load Gmail except in HTML mode."

Also note that this isn't exactly cheap either.

#348314 - 24/10/2011 07:18 Re: Expanding the home LAN - access point questions [Re: JBjorgen]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Just checking back in to let everybody know what I decided to do in the end, should anyone be interested.
I've bought a TP-Link Gigabit router, and simply configured as an access point. I specifically chose this router because it's cheap and easily flashable with dd-wrt or openwrt should this be necessary. The stock firmware did it needed to do for my needs though, so I just used that.

Total cost: 45 euro, and works perfectly! 5/5 Wlan coverage throughout the entire house now. I'm happy! smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2