Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#34755 - 19/07/2001 11:15 INIT branching... (Displayserver)
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
This gets to a question, but first I have to say that I finally took the time to 1.03 the other evening and to get Displayserver running. A zillion thanks to Frank! It is slicker than, well, some distasteful bodily fluid and/or (more tastefully) a quart of 30 weight. I just had to pop the Empeg on the Internet for a few minutes to show my friend.

Anyhow, it looks like the INIT subsystem on the Empeg, in keeping with lean-and-mean, is not exactly the whole System V rc enchilada. I did see some recent posts here about how this could be jazzed up with some includes/execs.

Question: Is there a reference or list (maybe I missed it) of what, if any, player state settings are readable *before* the player software loads? For example, during the INIT process, can you tell that the Empeg is on AC or DC power and thereby branch init to not load displayserver or other stuff depending on whether you're at home or in car. I certainly don't see anything that looks like this in environment variables, so I'm guessing it may be a tightly bound function of the player software, but figured I'd ask in case there's a way to call some other progam during init to check things like that.

Thought: If I was thinking of a stupid Empeg trick, I suppose you could try to come up with a non-IR capable displayserver variant, say jscript2.html, that would sit next to the original and (assuming you set up port forwarding or ACL exceptions) let friends and family "See What's Playing". Perhaps somebody has already done this?

Again, Thanks to Frank and all of y'all that make this madness possible.!

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#34756 - 19/07/2001 11:18 Re: INIT branching... (Displayserver) [Re: jimhogan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Many things can be seen from /proc/empeg*. One is the power state, (On AC or DC, headlights on, etc..), and others are for tempeature and many other statistics. I cat the power one on boot and then run carinit or homeinit depending on where I am at.

#34757 - 19/07/2001 11:28 Re: INIT branching... (Displayserver) [Re: drakino]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Drakino,

I see it. Too simple! Now I'll have to see about making changes without hosing my installation up. Sounds like that taxi application will be just the thing.

Thanks!

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.