Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#34828 - 21/07/2001 06:29 Tuner RDS-TMC functionality
alex25

Loc: Switzerland
Now where the tuner module is getting closer and closer...

I plan to make an application on the empeg which read the traffic information (TMC, traffic message channel) from the RDS data stream. The application should displays the actual messages on the empeg display.
As far as I now the most european countries support this TMC information. (I'm sure Switzerland does, that's the most important thing for me)
The message which should be displayed for example looks like this: "accident at ..., slow traffic for 2 km"
It is possible to read the following information from the TMC: position of the event, typ of event, time, ...

Now to my questions:
- Is empeg (rio) plans to integrate this functionalty in near futur (V1.1)? I doesn't mean just to switch to the radio program if a traffic message is sent. I mean to examine the TMC information and display information like mentioned above.

- As far as I understand, the hole RDS stream (including TMC) can be read from the /dev/rds device. Is this correct?

- Is it possible to read from the /dev/rds device if i listen to mp3's?

- I plan to buy two tuner modules. One for outdoor use in the car and one for developing the software. How can I connect the tuner module at home. Is it easy to make a selfmade adapter to connect the tuner module or do I have to buy a second docking sled? (I learned electronics engineers, so it shouldn't be a problem to make an adapter)

If I get the application to work, I will offer it to download somewhere in the internet

Thanks for any help

#34829 - 21/07/2001 08:51 Re: Tuner RDS-TMC functionality [Re: alex25]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
- No plans for TMC, as we don't have it in the UK so it's not easy to test :(
- The whole RDS stream, error corrected, currently comes out of /dev/rds. This may change (ie, we may do the error correction in the player as we can do more context-sensitive stuff then). You read 16-bits at a time from /dev/rds and these are the error-corrected packets at the moment.
- Yes, /dev/rds works when mp3s are playing (or the player isn't even running, as long as the tuner is tuned into a station)
- The tuner module connects to the sled, ideally you need another sled as the docking connector is not an off-the-shelf part.

Hugo

#34830 - 22/07/2001 09:05 Re: Tuner RDS-TMC functionality [Re: altman]
alex25

Loc: Switzerland
>The tuner module connects to the sled, ideally you need another sled as the
>docking connector is not an off-the-shelf part.
Is it possible to get such a docking connector (without the case) from empeg? Maybe there is an old connector staying around somewhere? Maybe from an old device.
Buying another sled is a bit expensive, because I only need it to connect the tuner at home. :-)

#34831 - 23/07/2001 14:50 Re: Tuner RDS-TMC functionality [Re: alex25]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Unfortunately it's not that simple; we only buy the connectors as part of a pre-made loom (so we never see cables without loom) and even if we could get the plastic, the pins require the right tool to crimp them and get them into the connector (if you crimp it by hand it tends to malform the pin and it won't go in).

Sorry.

Hugo