Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#350940 - 17/03/2012 11:48 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: RobotCaleb]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: RobotCaleb
This guy has several images of magnified device screens for comparison.

Heh, Love all the tiny little French flags!

#351060 - 22/03/2012 21:35 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Having spent some time with the new iPad now, I'm really impressed by the screen. Also handy for nighttime reading use beyond better text, the backlight appears to be able to dim more then the iPad 2.

I activated LTE for a month to try it out, and it's decently quick here in Austin. Not quite the 50mbit some people see in other areas, but still very fast. Average in my tests seems to be around 18mbit. Amusingly, I turned LTE on today to watch a video due to the free WiFi being frustratingly slow to load.

Every day I am pulling down more app updates, developers are moving quickly to support the new resolution with improved graphics.

#351063 - 23/03/2012 00:00 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: drakino]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
The screen really grows on you. I picked up my touch 3rd gen. and the screen door effect really jumped out at me.

#351066 - 23/03/2012 10:58 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: drakino]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: drakino
I activated LTE for a month to try it out, and it's decently quick here in Austin. Not quite the 50mbit some people see in other areas, but still very fast. Average in my tests seems to be around 18mbit. Amusingly, I turned LTE on today to watch a video due to the free WiFi being frustratingly slow to load.

I am going to try LTE for the first time next week. It will be interesting to see if the iPad does get as hot as some people are claiming.

#351067 - 23/03/2012 11:11 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: Tim]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
The iPad (all of them) only ever get warm. Even people/sites claiming it gets "hot" only ever provide temperature readings that are nothing but "warm." And as far as iPad 3 vs iPad 2, it's only a maximum of around 5 degrees C warmer under load. This is more ridiculous than the iPhone 4 antenna "scandal."

#351068 - 23/03/2012 11:33 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: hybrid8]
Redrum
old hand

I thought “hot” and “warm” were relative terms and not absolutes. I think you are correct if you compare the iPad to the burner on the stove. Yes, it is only warm or even cold. But comparing the iPad to an ice cube I would consider the iPad “Hot.”

But perhaps your opinion is once again fact.

#351071 - 23/03/2012 12:27 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: hybrid8]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
The iPad (all of them) only ever get warm. Even people/sites claiming it gets "hot" only ever provide temperature readings that are nothing but "warm." And as far as iPad 3 vs iPad 2, it's only a maximum of around 5 degrees C warmer under load. This is more ridiculous than the iPhone 4 antenna "scandal."

I saw a claim that it was 'warm' enough to not be able to handle. To me that would qualify as 'hot' and am interested in seeing if that was an exaggeration or a one-off and if mine has that issue.

#351081 - 23/03/2012 14:50 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: Tim]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Conveniently, dictionaries exist to define words wink

Hot:
1 having a high degree of heat or a high temperature: it was hot inside the hall | basking under a hot sun.
• feeling or producing an uncomfortable sensation of heat: she felt hot and her throat was parched.

Warm:
1 of or at a fairly or comfortably high temperature: a warm September evening

(as defined by the dictionary built in to OS X/iOS, which is the New Oxford American dictionary)

From my experiences, I've never had any of the iPads or iPhones reach what I'd consider uncomfortable to hold. The iPhone 4S is probably the warmest when I've had it in the car charging, while running GPS, bluetooth audio, cellular data and the screen. Even letting my new iPad sit charging while also running Infinity Blade II, it's not getting warmer then the phone. Neither to me would fall under the defined definition of hot.

I am pretty much of the opinion that the news stories out there covering it are indeed sensationalism. Even the Consumer Reports article did mention this:
Quote:
During our tests, I held the new iPad in my hands. When it was at its hottest, it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable if held for a brief period.
Buried down in the story though, below many sensationalistic claims.

I guess these stories are the modern equivalent of local news running "killer escalator" stories, to attract more viewers to see the ads that run during the breaks.

#351096 - 23/03/2012 22:08 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I realize my last post is a pretty snarky, mostly driven by the annoyance that "journalists" seem to be getting worse over time. How hard is it to use the right wording for something, especially in a headline? I was also saddened by the number of sites that initially reported "new iPad runs 20% hotter", with their measurement being a percentage difference in Fahrenheit, a relative temperature scale.

#351098 - 23/03/2012 22:18 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: Redrum]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Redrum

But perhaps your opinion is once again fact.

You're right. It is.

They are relative. And like most other temperatures, since we're human, they're relative to our BODY TEMPERATURE. To the TOUCH, the product is therefore WARM.

Seriously, do I have to break out a dictionary or a baseball bat? Are you being cheeky or just an ass? Maybe I'm too tired after a long day on the road, but that message pissed me off.

Edited by hybrid8 (23/03/2012 22:23)

#351134 - 26/03/2012 12:02 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Looks like the new unit is pretty unpopular with a group of people out there. One Apple store had to dedicate a line just for returns.

The group? Scalpers. Seems the wider initial rollout, along with some tax import changes for China helped minimize the issue.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/23/line...ue-apple-store/

#351143 - 26/03/2012 16:33 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

The lowest form of life on the planet can always be routed out by allowing comments on online articles: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/03/new-ipad-versus-5-tablet-competitors-which-runs-hottest/

The bottom feeders never read the source material they're commenting on. I'm sure some of these guys have relatives that call into radio stations.

#351144 - 26/03/2012 16:47 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: hybrid8]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Given Apple's history of catering to professional photographers, I found this surprising. I can understand earlier versions of iOS lacking color management capability, but they're on their third hardware iteration now. Seems like a no-brainer to include it.

#351145 - 26/03/2012 20:12 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Frankly, they've been in cruising mode with user-facing parts of their OS since the iPhone debuted in 2007. There are a lot of usability issues and paradigm issues that have needed to be addressed since day one.

It still amazes me that the music player app can't be fully used in landscape mode unless you have an iPad.

With regards to color management, NO management is better than poor management. And IMO, color management should never be used to make up for absolutely incorrect RGB values within the image. That first blue example is exactly why one should not rely on color management for use on unknown (or by unknown) targets.

In all web images I strip color profile data to make sure the images appear how I want them to appear, because different vendors have implemented less-than-stellar interpretations of imbedded color profiles. Some that vary from image to image, so that you may very del be left with parts of your page that don't match others. Yuck. Color management is a big mess everywhere, so the fact the iPad doesn't support it doesn't surprise me very much.

The iPad is a fixed target, so it's trivial to make sure that all exports always look as expected on it without an imbedded profile.

Edited by hybrid8 (26/03/2012 20:23)

#351147 - 27/03/2012 00:24 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
In all web images I strip color profile data to make sure the images appear how I want them to appear

No, you convert them all to the sRGB color space.

Or, I don't know, maybe you do strip the color profile data and just hope that other browsers interpret that lack of data the same way yours does.

#351149 - 27/03/2012 01:05 Re: The New iPad (aka iPad 3) [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Yes, the color space is always sRGB, but there is no calibrated profile data included with the images which would try to manipulate the color. No monitor profiles, no game correction data, etc. No color management information. It's up to the target to manage their own color to render the sRGB for their own output devices.

The biggest issue caused by not doing this is with images used to build pages, not so much presenting a portfolio of photographs as the author of that article is focusing on. Nevertheless, his original image was bad and it shouldn't have been up to the color profile to fix it. But of course he did that on purpose for illustrative purposes.

Edited by hybrid8 (27/03/2012 01:09)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3